Polyphia - potentially the most interesting thing happening in the guitar world at the moment?

What's Hot
123457»

Comments

• ChéChé Frets: 305
    edited March 2020
    My friend turned me on to these guys. I feel I should like them but honestly, I've never been so turned off by guitar music in my life. If they're going for that cold, alien vibe that makes me shudder to listen to it, then well done. 

Saying that, if you gave this music to Andy Timmons to play, I think it would sound (and more importantly) FEEL more musical, human and therefore relatable to me. Their musical ideas are great but the execution lacks the emotion that I personally need to respond positively to a piece of guitar music. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6846
    edited March 2020
    I think it's cool that they are doing something new and interesting, but I find it quite tiring to listen to. 

If I was going to listen to killer musicians doing something interesting I'd be looking at Snarky Puppy 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuhHU_BZXSk
    Snarky Puppy really wind me up. It's like if a bunch of virtuosos all got a job as baristas in an indie coffee shop to support their dreams of working in musical theatre.

Stop being so zany, you pricks!
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16303
    soma1975 said:
    I think it's cool that they are doing something new and interesting, but I find it quite tiring to listen to. 

If I was going to listen to killer musicians doing something interesting I'd be looking at Snarky Puppy 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuhHU_BZXSk
    Snarky Puppy really wind me up. It's like if a bunch of virtuosos all got a job as baristas in an indie coffee shop to support their dreams of working in musical theatre.

Stop being so zany, youmpricks!
    I really liked them live a couple of years ago which was really just  music whilst I chillaxed on a summer's day but, yes, they could all calm down a bit now.  
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31692
    Branshen said:
    I love their stuff. Another great tune is 40oz, but I'm sure a majority of the folks here will find it overly technical and unmusical..

I actually like that, possibly because it's not ego-driven shredding, it's more textural and orchestral. 

Although most of my favourite music is three minute pop songs I do kind of "get" Polyphia as a group who sound like they bring MIDI compositions to life using real instruments. 

It reminds of The Ensemble Moderne staging the tortuous Synclavier music of Jazz From Hell using classical musicians. 

Although I'd always rather hear New Rose, Jesus Built My Hotrod or No Scrubs, there's definitely room in my life for a bit of virtuosity as long as it's not Yngwye-style bad comedy.
  • MolochMoloch Frets: 714
    If my migraines and my tinnitus decided to form a band, that's exactly how I imagine they'd sound.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1175
    within this mood and still pleasurable to listen to I much prefer to listen to covet.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 953
    brooom said:
    within this mood and still pleasurable to listen to I much prefer to listen to covet.
    Definitely. Much more musical and soulful. 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12431
    Sounds like the stuff 10 yr old Korean kids play  with their dad just out of shot holding a big stick.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tabanotabano Frets: 100
    I find it as boring as blues...
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7082
    tFB Trader
    I preferred Tim Henson when he did the Muppets
  • ChuckManualChuckManual Frets: 692
    I preferred Tim Henson when he did the Muppets

Wow... He did The Muppets AND had a half-decent career in tennis.  Not bad...

Not much of the gear, even less idea.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7300
    I would stake money on the fact that polyphia songs start their life in guitar pro
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30318
    What none of you lot seem to understand is that music is all about how it makes you feel even if it makes you feel like killing yourself.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2246
    I genuinely enjoy their music, I find it really interesting and it's great for working to. Saw them live in January and they were fantastic.. properly good band. I was really surprised at the crowd too.. people were going nuts, jumping around, moshing, constant crowd surfing. It's not the kind of music I would have associated with them antics :)

New levels new devils is a really good album.. there are some making of videos on YouTube and it's really interesting where the concepts came from.

Arrogant as fuck through. Love em. :)
  • Music for nerds, made by nerds
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10347
    Music for nerds, made by nerds

If that's the case, surely there'd be a lot more love for them on here. 

;) 

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28347
    brooom said:
    Yes, Covet are excellent. Helped by being fronted by a beautiful, talented woman.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2230
    Interesting to listen to, but not exactly listenable. Pretty much the same concept in ever song, to get as many harmonics in 4 minutes as possible. I appreciate the technical abilities are fantastic though. 
  • idiotwindowidiotwindow Frets: 1431
    The thing I love about that kind of music is how much it makes you appreciate silence when you switch it off. I've just listened to about a minute of the video above (the one with the old biddies pretending to play guitar) and all it serves to do is raise my stress levels.

I can imagine this music, played at a loud volume into headphones taped to your head, would be more effective torture than waterboarding.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom