Is this acceptable on a £1545 guitar?

What's Hot

Comments

• Rich31kRich31k Frets: 795
    They’re trying it on. It’s an expensive guitar. The finish should be spot on. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • rossirossi Frets: 1708
    Its pretty bad in my opinion .It should be pretty perfect for that price as I see few cheapos from anywhere with that kind of swirling .Is it nitro ? easy to polish out by hand  ,or poly not so easy.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CeeJayCeeJay Frets: 455
    edited March 2020
    I have a High Gloss Epiphone SG.
    No swirlies
    £300

Tell Andertons to go look at the Epi shelf, then come back to you.
    Part of the finishing process my arse!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6884
    Well, I'm glad it's not just me. 

Sometimes you end up thinking, am I actually expecting too much? 

I'll await their next reply before going in hard. 

I feel a bit dickish having posted their reply but I dunno.
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • ColsCols Frets: 7166
    What was wrong with the last one you sent back?
    Cols said:
    What was wrong with the last one you sent back?
    There was a chip out of the lacquer on the edge of the fretboard. 
    Right on the corner of the fretboard on the high e side where it ends and the pickup begins. 

Seems like the sides and end of the board are coated in poly. 

That and there was a small something stuck in the finish next to the neck pickup which just annoyed me more than being a legit reason to send it back.

I wish I'd have taken some photo's of that one, as they claim they cannot find issue with it. Or at least noted the serial no. down. 

This one is serial 465 though.
    rossi said:
    Its pretty bad in my opinion .It should be pretty perfect for that price as I see few cheapos from anywhere with that kind of swirling .Is it nitro ? easy to polish out by hand  ,or poly not so easy.
    Poly it is. 
  • johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    In my limited experience with them (only ever bought two things from them) Andertons are pretty great in person and awful remotely. If GuitarGuitar have the guitar you want in stock personally I'd buy from them instead, they're always very good at sorting things if there are issues. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    Had a similar experience with Andertons “QC”. Great YouTube videos. Reliability less so.
  • as above, even if I was willing to accept it previously their shitty email would make me want to hurt them on social media, just plain lying. If it has swirls/cloudiness it's not been buffed correctly and IS a QC issue. pretty crap service, again, I "get" that you already sent one back but this is a piss take and needs sorting by them. You're not being unreasonable at all.
  • hasslehamhassleham Frets: 608
    Definitely return it. If you feel this unsure now then you're never going to be totally happy with it, and you should be totally happy when you've spent so much!
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3993
    If ESP/Ibanez etc want us to pay what have up til now been MIJ prices for MIK/MII gear then they're going to need to step up the QC.

There's no question that great instruments can be made anywhere but that 'buffing' is a joke, and so is trying to treat someone like a mug when they've paid 1500 quid.
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7387
    If he's already had to send one back, then if they were any good they'd be making sure the next one was perfect. Not talking shit for £15 sake.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • That's definitely not acceptable. Send it back, tell them you'll get one from somewhere else, where they can actually see the flaws. 

"I've checked with a colleague and they say ..." is not an acceptable answer either. Their colleague is not more impartial or experienced than they are. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • If they find that acceptable in a £1.5k guitar, I would send it back and go elsewhere
  • JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    Do a youtube unboxing video with some clickbait title - insert links to their latest posts - particularly if it features same brand and ideally same model - Im sure you'll get some response ... 
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5871
    They're getting found out a bit lately it seems. I got a Bargain 2018 Gibson SG Standard from them a couple of weeks before Black Friday in 2018..............£849, bought it straight away. It didn't take me long to realise that the frets had been filed down, not a bad job though, but it didn't state that in the description.

I always have my Guitars set up anyway after I buy them and it plays great, played OK after purchase as well, but I know for a fact, that particular information wasn't listed.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • MolochMoloch Frets: 714
    edited March 2020
    Did you pay via credit card? If so, chargeback. Your card provider will back you and Andertons are going to shit bricks at fighting Mastercard/Visa.
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3348
    Return it. I had similar issues with Andertons back in 2016. Haven’t used them since. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 996
    Send it back and swallow the £15, a small price to pay imo.  Are you thinking about getting another of the same model elsewhere? Or are you going to look at a different brand...or is that model The One?