Post-Lockdown pedal building

What's Hot

Comments

• KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    Yorkie said:
    @yorkie that looks like excellent work for a first build. It's definitely a bug that will grab you if you let it... 
    Thanks! The next thing I have to build is a passive cab sim for my Marshall Class 5. Then I will try and get me some fuzz.
    What circuit will you be using?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I think this one looks good. https://shop.pedalparts.co.uk/product/cabsim tempted to get one myself

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• YorkieYorkie Frets: 1505
    I would try and shorten wires next time. It helps with noise issues. 
    Oh I’m not done with this one yet! I’ll optimise everything and add some useful mods to it. It has already replaced a Keeley comp+ as it is now. Not saying that the Keeley is bad (it’s great), but this is the sound I’ve been chasing for ages. Cleans/edge of breakup sound great. 
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

Keefy said:
    Yorkie said:
    @yorkie that looks like excellent work for a first build. It's definitely a bug that will grab you if you let it... 
    Thanks! The next thing I have to build is a passive cab sim for my Marshall Class 5. Then I will try and get me some fuzz.
    What circuit will you be using?
    I don’t know yet. I want something passive and with a large penalty, because the Class 5’s headphones out is unusably hot. 
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   

I think this one looks good. https://shop.pedalparts.co.uk/product/cabsim tempted to get one myself
    That looks sweet, but I would like to try something passive first. 

• LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    Yorkie said:
    As advised in a separate thread, I've made my own Orange Squeezer clone using a Fuzzdog kit. It's been my first ever build, and I've enjoyed every minute of it, not least because my 11 year old daughter has helped me identify the resistors and measure them, and... she also soldered the 3PDT to the daughterboard! She was adamant that she had accumulated enough practice at her 'design & technology' lessons at school, and begged me to let her do it. So I did. I will admit that I suffered a little bit when she was doing the first two pins, but it was 'ok' in the end. What a fantastic memento of a pedal. I don't think I'll be selling this. Plus it makes my strat+Marshall sing. 

The main PCB:

The assembled box:

And the closed box:

Loved it. I might make more things in the near future.

Jon

My first build was an OS. Wasn't as tidy as that! Although I didn’t have any help  ;)
    It's a good pedal I use mine all the time. It can be very subtle though, took me a while to figure if it was actually working! 

It's good in front of dirt pedals to push them a bit harder for a lead sound. Amongst many other things. Very simple circuit but just right. 
    My first build was an OS. Wasn't as tidy as that! Although I didn’t have any help  ;)
    It's a good pedal I use mine all the time. It can be very subtle though, took me a while to figure if it was actually working! 

It's good in front of dirt pedals to push them a bit harder for a lead sound. Amongst many other things. Very simple circuit but just right. 
    Haha. I find the compression is much more noticeable with humbuckers than with single coils. With single coils you get that subtle tone enhancement, whereas with humbuckers the increased sustain is great and very welcome.  

I also seem to be getting a slight bit of grit when I crank the compressor - I find it pleasing. 

Jon

• life pedal clone

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• This one is a Rat built on vero. 

• robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    It's been a while since I built anything so I ordered a Maestro MFZ-1 kit, since I like the Carcosa so much and it's based on it

I might try and incorporate this artwork

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27057
    @Cookiemonster nice. I had my Life/Death plugged in for the first time in ages this week. Really good fun and instantly makes me play in weird scales for some reason. 

I also need to have a build spree again. I have a bunch of kits sitting here but haven’t built anything in at least a year
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Inverted fifth chords sound monstrous through analogue octave up. Fed into a Phase 90 it is that much bigger again
  • roberty said:
    It's been a while since I built anything so I ordered a Maestro MFZ-1 kit, since I like the Carcosa so much and it's based on it

I might try and incorporate this artwork

Nice. I would like to build one of these

• CookiemonsterCookiemonster Frets: 884
    edited August 2022
    @Cookiemonster nice. I had my Life/Death plugged in for the first time in ages this week. Really good fun and instantly makes me play in weird scales for some reason. 

I also need to have a build spree again. I have a bunch of kits sitting here but haven’t built anything in at least a year
    I have a whole bunch of moon electronic ones to build. All probably crazy

• Zystickyfiddle said:

Great circuit I have the mini one to build as well

• I've got a whole bunch of new things to build, including one that I'm already wondering "why did I buy the bits for that??" so need to get the soldering iron out... 
  • I've got a whole bunch of new things to build, including one that I'm already wondering "why did I buy the bits for that??" so need to get the soldering iron out... 
    Look forward to seeing them 

• Bah.

Built a Vox Repeater. 

Tested it. Seemed to work. Boxed it up. Doesn't work. Had to undo all the footswitch wiring to diagnose it. 

Now I have to rework a whole bunch. Grr. 
    Bah.

Built a Vox Repeater. 

Tested it. Seemed to work. Boxed it up. Doesn't work. Had to undo all the footswitch wiring to diagnose it. 

All fun and games, until it isn't

Having a break and coming back makes things a lot easier I find

Vox repeater is on my to-do list. No idea why I keep building fuzzes, I have 50 of the bastards
  • roberty said:
    Bah.

Built a Vox Repeater. 

All fun and games, until it isn't

Having a break and coming back makes things a lot easier I find

Vox repeater is on my to-do list. No idea why I keep building fuzzes, I have 50 of the bastards

Annoyingly, this is the first time in about 20 attempts that I've had any real problems. I'm abut 99% sure I know what the issue is but it needs me to de-solder a whole bunch of wires, a task I hate. Grr.