Post-Lockdown pedal building

What's Hot

Comments

• Love it!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
    Any of you guys want a fuzz dog micro amp kit for the cost of postage? I was going to build it as part of a pedalboard idea I had to integrate some rack gear but went in a different direction. It's still in the box it was posted in, unopened. I know it's nothing exciting...
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    I've got loads to be getting on with but that's very generous @Cirrus . Maybe it would be best going to someone new to the hobby?
    Slowly getting through my ADHD backlog. Will be nice to have my life back again eventually lol. Fuzz Dog Roar / EQD Bellows. Bazz Fuss derived I think. Sounds great, very QotSA-ish

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 1153
    edited October 2023
    I built a bluesbreaker with some boutiquesque tweaks, but wasn’t happy with the enclosure. Bought this hammered effect one from camelfish on eBay, pretty pleased. The switch adds in some hard clipping diodes, got a presence trimmer on the inside, KOT style output caps for more bass (as I understand it). The footswitch was slow aged on the floor of my garage 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • markblackmarkblack Frets: 1591
    @Alex2678 i like the finish on that, very smart.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • markblack said:
    @Alex2678 i like the finish on that, very smart.
    You can get it a few places, Tayda offer it on their Hammond enclosures for example. I built a Tubebender in one a few years ago
    edited October 2023
    This is a Tadya finished one I think, but the stamp inside makes it appear that it’s a Tadya-made enclosure 
    I did have it set up to switch between normal and added hard clipping, but I’ve done away with the extra diodes and the switch now selects soft or no clipping. The hard clipping was a bit unpleasant 
  • RkphilpotRkphilpot Frets: 173
    Can anyone recommend YouTube channels, books, courses that can help me get a basic understanding of pedal building? I've built a couple of DIY kits and both times they were faulty but I dont know how to fault find or have a basic understanding of electronics in order to understand.

Really want to get into hobby building and modding pedals for fun but have no experience.
    Thank you 
  • markblackmarkblack Frets: 1591
    @Rkphilpot Brian Wampler's YT his worth a look.

here's a PDF of his book that I found. I think it released it as S/H it was silly money.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jzz3d6nxuzxxipo/Wampler Books.zip?dl=0&file_subpath=/Wampler+Books/Wampler+Books

M

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • RkphilpotRkphilpot Frets: 173
    That's great thank you 
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1438
    I've just popped in to say, some lovely looking designs and enclosures here, and great circuit choices. Neat wiring too. I may go back and read the whole thread now. I'm a sucker for home-brewed delights.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    roberty said:

Had another go at boxing up without a daughterboard, this is a bit better. A couple of small errors. I would like to get more efficient at doing this

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7828

I think it's time I got back into pedal building (as mentioned elsewhere, I've run out of guitars, amps and pretty much everything else to spend money on, and I still have boxes of caps, resistors, pots, chips etc.

I have around 15 already built, one or two from kits but mostly on stripboard. Some failures I might go back to and a couple of things I made myself to dig a bit deeper into.

I'll start another thread to tell the tales :)
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    @Paul_C there are so many nice OD and fuzz circuits to build. Boosts as well. You can save a lot of money building boost pedals lol
  • roberty said:
    @Paul_C there are so many nice OD and fuzz circuits to build. Boosts as well. You can save a lot of money building boost pedals lol
    I get really irate when I see how much some companies charge for boost pedals. 

Despite completely understanding that component count and costs are only tangentially related, the fact that a Super Hard On (for example) costs £150 for the vexter version just makes my head hurt. It's got about three components for goodness sake.

roberty said:

Despite completely understanding that component count and costs are only tangentially related, the fact that a Super Hard On (for example) costs £150 for the vexter version just makes my head hurt. It's got about three components for goodness sake.
    Yeah it makes much more sense to build one if you can. I don't know the economics but I expect the costs aren't much different to manufacture and market a pedal with a simple circuit vs one that has a bit more going on. Especially if machines are populating the PCBs
  • roberty said:
    roberty said:

Yeah it makes much more sense to build one if you can. I don't know the economics but I expect the costs aren't much different to manufacture and market a pedal with a simple circuit vs one that has a bit more going on. Especially if machines are populating the PCBs
    No, my ire is completely irrational. 

Pedal costs are much more heavily governed by things like wages, marketing costs, equipment costs, manufacturing space, R&D spend, etc. However as much as the rational part of my brain gets that, the irrational bit definitely gets annoyed at the concept of £300 rangemasters  :s
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2295
    roberty said:
    @Paul_C there are so many nice OD and fuzz circuits to build. Boosts as well. You can spaff a lot of money building boost pedals lol
    FTFY
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom