Post-Lockdown pedal building

What's Hot

Comments

• robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Keefy said:
    roberty said:
    @Paul_C there are so many nice OD and fuzz circuits to build. Boosts as well. You can spaff a lot of money building boost pedals lol
    FTFY
    LOL I regret nothing
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 819
    roberty said:
    Keefy said:
    roberty said:
    @Paul_C there are so many nice OD and fuzz circuits to build. Boosts as well. You can spaff a lot of money building boost pedals lol
    FTFY
    LOL I regret nothing
    Reminds me, I have a Fuzzdog Expandora sitting on my shelf built up with all components still in the ziplok bag inside.
    Every time I build a pedal, I say this will be the last time, as I am sure it is nothing short of a miracle that they work first time.
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7828

I shall be leaning mostly towards fuzzes, weird fuzzes and the just weird.

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7828

These are the finished ones I made before I got bored/frustrated. I've got some plans for things I need to finish and a whole backlog of things I'd like to build and possibly modify.

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Wow they look great @Paul_C. I really like the colours
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2295
    roberty said:
    Some more stuff today

Fuzz Dog Mu-Tron Micro V envelope filter. Very cool. Can get quite slow and synth which is what I wanted

I called it Envelope Lifter which is an anagram of Envelope Filter. A few bubbles under the decal oops

I recently built one of these too, but rather than go full kit I just bought the PCB and a cheap eBay 1590 knockoff and used as many parts as I could from my stash - hence all my resistors and caps are different colours. Of course I ended up spending £6 on 2 transistors, but hey, it's the principle. I only bought one of the vertical pin pots and soldered stiff wires onto two that I already had.

Anyway, it worked first time and sounds great on guitar but shite on bass. Oh well! Next build is another valve amp...

• I've started up on my next, and last for a while, build.  Following on from my rip off of a Reeves Electro 183 Sound, I'm going full point to point with a rip off of a Reeves Electro Leo.  It's basically a version of a Lovepedal Les Lius with some extra bits (I saw that the boost bit is essentially an LPB-1).

Got hold of some old CV7127 diodes which I'm combining with 1n4148 diodes.  I've seen various others in both the Reeves and various versions of the Les Lius including BAT46, 1n34a etc, but went with that.

Took a fair bit of time and trawling through Instagram to work out everything in the circuit.  Then because it was difficult to draw, what with the 3D nature of the layout, I made a 3D model of it...

I may have got a little carried away (yes all the resistors have the correct colour bands).

As it is all done in place I've had to get the enclosure finished first, so that's been done and I'm cracking on with the build

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 726
    Wow, nice work! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 1153
    The difference in planning between mine and your builds is insane 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • idiotwind said:
    I've started up on my next, and last for a while, build.  Following on from my rip off of a Reeves Electro 183 Sound, I'm going full point to point with a rip off of a Reeves Electro Leo.  It's basically a version of a Lovepedal Les Lius with some extra bits (I saw that the boost bit is essentially an LPB-1).

Got hold of some old CV7127 diodes which I'm combining with 1n4148 diodes.  I've seen various others in both the Reeves and various versions of the Les Lius including BAT46, 1n34a etc, but went with that.

Took a fair bit of time and trawling through Instagram to work out everything in the circuit.  Then because it was difficult to draw, what with the 3D nature of the layout, I made a 3D model of it...

I may have got a little carried away (yes all the resistors have the correct colour bands).

As it is all done in place I've had to get the enclosure finished first, so that's been done and I'm cracking on with the build

Nice! I played a Reeves Leo a few weeks ago and was impressed! 

To clarify are you saying your take on it is based on a Les Lius with an LPB into it or is this what the actual Reeves Leo is based on too? If so I will have a go at building one myself!
  • Nice! I played a Reeves Leo a few weeks ago and was impressed! 

To clarify are you saying your take on it is based on a Les Lius with an LPB into it or is this what the actual Reeves Leo is based on too? If so I will have a go at building one myself!
    It's my belief that the Leo is based on a Les Lius - the main bit is that 3 position switch to go through different combinations of diodes and a second footswitch to engage a boost - but I've not seen any confirmation of this.  I did find the mention of an LPB being the basis for the boost in an Instagram comment, though looking back now I can't find it.   As far as I can tell, the Bright/Normal and Hi/Lo switches are original to the Leo.  This is attempting to clone the Leo exactly, though that is a bit nebulous as it seems to subtly change each time.
    @idiotwind is there any chance you’d be up for sharing your 3d model? I’d quite like to have a go at making one but never attempted anything like that, would be good to have a thorough reference. Assuming the program to view it is readily available, and no worries if you’d rather not 
  • Alex2678 said:
    @idiotwind is there any chance you’d be up for sharing your 3d model? I’d quite like to have a go at making one but never attempted anything like that, would be good to have a thorough reference. Assuming the program to view it is readily available, and no worries if you’d rather not 
    Yes, I should be able to.  I'd like to get the build finished and working first, just to make sure it's all correct - managed to run out of solder so waiting on a delivery to carry on.  I made it in Blender, which is free, but I'm sure there are ways to get it out as a shareable model.
    idiotwind said:
    Alex2678 said:
    Yes, I should be able to.  I'd like to get the build finished and working first, just to make sure it's all correct - managed to run out of solder so waiting on a delivery to carry on.  I made it in Blender, which is free, but I'm sure there are ways to get it out as a shareable model.
    That’d be great thank you mate, look forward to seeing it finished!

• All finished.  Worked first time as well - the nice thing about working at this large scale is you can easily see if the connections are sound rather than poking around on a PCB.

I'm fairly happy with the insides - I could do with a better set of side-snips as mine aren't truly flush and my soldering is not quite as elegant as in the Reeves original.  On the whole though, the point to point stuff was fairly straightforward.
    0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • idiotwind said:

All finished.  Worked first time as well - the nice thing about working at this large scale is you can easily see if the connections are sound rather than poking around on a PCB.

I'm fairly happy with the insides - I could do with a better set of side-snips as mine aren't truly flush and my soldering is not quite as elegant as in the Reeves original.  On the whole though, the point to point stuff was fairly straightforward.
    awesome job! I'm guessing the wattage switch functions the same as the one on the les lius? What are the Hi Lo and B/N switches doing circuit wise? Just wondering if I could build one using the Fuzzdog Les Lius and LPB PCBs?
    Amazing work @idiotwind really impressive
    Wow that looks great
  • Thanks all.

@Alex2678 here's a link to view the 3D model - https://skfb.ly/oNQM9 - I did some labelling on things like the capacitors and pots to help out.

@jonnygreentrees hopefully that will help you as well.  The wattage switch is the same as the 3-way switch on the Les Lius, so it's the pair of 1n4148s, then optionally adding in either a pair or a single CV7127 (Fuzzdog use BAT46)

The Bright/Normal is doing some stuff with that 330pf cap and the Hi/Lo is putting in an extra ground.
    Thanks mate I really appreciate it