Post-Lockdown pedal building

What's Hot

Comments

• robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    ThorpyFX said:
    ThorpyFX said:
    really love following this thread, nice to see everyones DIY builds... such a cool hobby. 

Do you still build other people's circuits for fun Adrian or is that too much like work these days? 

I havent built anything for a while. The insane postage cost at Tayda (for enclosures) puts me off these days. I do kinda want to build a Sexdrive and a Lightspeed, though. 
    rarely.... but i do do it.  the problem is i find myself wanting to do more than 1 and then... it becomes a thing. so for instance i wanted to build something for me over christmas, couldn't accept anything other than perfection. once it was done it looked like a product and so I've made ten and will put them live at some point... 

the passion for engineering is very much still there though. 
    That's the danger of turning a hobby into an occupation. I no longer enjoy jumping out of the bushes and scaring children :'(
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Thar she blows. Shame about the melted caps, as Greta Thunberg might say. Quite pleased with it other than that

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 1153
    edited February 2
    I once made a design to stick in the bottom corner of a horizontal 1590bb klon but it didn’t work out in the end. Can’t remember if I’ve posted it before but if anyone wants to steal it by my guest. I assume Disney will feel the same. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6216
    tFB Trader
    Right…. I am throwing this out there. If I put together a kit (I have some spare enclosures with a Mirrored surface and can laser etch them) . Anyone be interested in buying a kit to build,  I’d supply all parts. 

It won’t be a Thorpy circuit I’ve released but I do have some ideas that would suit something like this. 

This is the first seeds of an idea…  so forgive me if it isn’t fully formed.  I dont want to do this on mass but it’d be fun to offer it to people here and see what the builds are like. 
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 1153
    I’d definitely be interested @ThorpyFX ;
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1542
    Count me in also :)
    Great idea @ThorpyFX, well up for that
  • RkphilpotRkphilpot Frets: 173
    Yeah I'd definitely be up for a kit build
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2295
    As long as it’s not a Tube Screamer…
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27173
    Yes me!! 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12932
    Definitely interested in principle! 
    Keefy said:
    As long as it’s not a Tube Screamer…
    Ha, fair point
  • TJT1979TJT1979 Frets: 188
    I'd be interested too, depending on what circuit obviously. 

I think the question would be how involved the build would be. A bag of components and a PCB, or something like the JHS kit which I think was basically plugging things together. 

Personally I'd rather solder things onto a PCB but I'm probably in the minority, and also if you have people soldering you'll probably get a large number of failed builds and requests for support. 

If it's basically plugging/screwing stuff together the main draw for me personally would be the famous Thorpy enclosure... aside from that personally I'd not see much benefit over Fuzzdog, Jed's, etc. Unless the circuit was something really unique. 

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27173
    NotaMorningGlory…!? :D 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6216
    tFB Trader

So having thought about it a bit more.. 

It won’t be a tubescreamer. I’ll try and. Make it something different and interesting.

This will be a SOLDERED kit only. Mainly because everyone here knows how to solder it seems. 

It’ll be supplied fully in bits and ready for you to build. 

As for the Thorpy Enclosure.  Honestly it just isn’t financially viable to do that. Typically we have to buy a minimum of 300 enclosures to meet a palatable price point.

This isn’t a THORPYFX proposition, this is more a me,  Adrian Thorpe idea that I want to be fun. I’m not looking to do a JHS and make thousands of these, I just wanted to offer something cool for people here in this thread. Give me a week or so to crystallise this idea and I’ll offer it up fully formed with all the details. 

Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1542
    Id be happy to put this together on veroboard if it's do-able that way.
    Especially if there's a AT-SP t-shirt involved :) 
    (AT-Side Project)

What an amazing thing to do @ThorpyFX thank you
    I modded my Death Drive Mini yesterday, which is the rat and octave stages from the EQD Life pedal. I find the octave stage adds too much treble, so I put a 1k trimmer in the Reutz position and changed the 2u2 cap to a 4u7 to put some meat back in. That's given me a nice range now, feels much more tonally balanced

edited February 11
    Took that 4u7 down to 3u3 and I prefer it there. Was a bit much at 4u7. I might drill for an external control instead of the trim pot on the back edge there, would probably save me time in the long run. Plus I lost my little flathead while I was fiddling with it yesterday lol
    So I did the bass mods recommended by Fuzz Dog on the Klone (C2 to 10n and C6 to 150n) and I much prefer it now. It has less of Tube Screamer-y honk and is much more transparent, but still with the upper midrange push and that sweet treble. I reckon keep it stock if you like Tube Screamers, and make those changes if you don't