Post-Lockdown pedal building

What's Hot

Comments

• @idiotwind thanks for this! Sorry I am a bit of an idiot, what do you mean by "putting in an extra ground"? From where?

Thanks
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @idiotwind thanks for this! Sorry I am a bit of an idiot, what do you mean by "putting in an extra ground"? From where?

Thanks
    Don't worry about it, I'm a bit hazy on it all myself, hence the poor explanation.  It was also the hardest bit to work out from the original as it is tucked up there and isn't very clear on a lot of the photos.

The Hi/Lo switch is an SPST switch with a 3M3 resistor to ground on the middle pole and a straight run to ground on the other pole.  So if I understand it right, when it is set to Lo, the switch is Off so only the resistor will see any current.  But if it is set to Hi the switch is on and it'll go through the zero resistance run to ground.  So I guess it's more that it's toggling that 3M3 in and out of the circuit.  Having a read now about Hi/Lo on amps it's all to do with impedance.  It's probably the most subtle of the controls on the pedal but perhaps that's because I've only been trying the one guitar.
  • brilliant, thanks for the explanation. I've just been in a chat with FuzzDog and it looks like I can pretty easily build this using his Les Lius and LPB boards so I will give that a go
  • Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 1154
    Built a fuzzdog lightspeed. Can absolutely see what all the fuss is about 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    That looks great @Alex2678. I've ordered a PCB after seeing the price of the original :-)

Also been a bit lazy and ordered a Klone kit. Something for the weekend, if it gets here. I've been using the Klon OD on all of my Spark patches basically. I like my Mosky one but it is noisy

Has anyone here done the FD Klone, and did you do the part substitutions for more bass? I'm wondering whether to keep it stock or not. I'm thinking the bass cut might tighten things up into a plexi style amp
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5163
    @Alex2678 what paint did you use for the enclosure? Or did you order it pre-painted?

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 1154
    @english_bob ;I ordered it like that, fuzzdog has an add on for powder coated enclosures but they’re not always in stock 
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12932
    Alex2678 said:
    @english_bob ;I ordered it like that, fuzzdog has an add on for powder coated enclosures but they’re not always in stock 
    Unless the position has changed he only ever has black ones. I asked mr fuzzdog previously about it and he said that the quality of the coloured ones wasn't good enough so he would only have black in future. 

Even then stock does seem to be limited.

I order all my enclosures from Tayda these days but the postage cost isn't cheap so need to buy a few at once! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5163
    Alex2678 said:

Thanks. Might get one next time I build a kit...

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

Finally got this done. Didn't have the energy for much else tonight. It's a Marshall Bluesbreaker clone. PCB from Five Cats. Should have given my desk a wipe for the photos, oh well

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Got this far with the Klone. Used gold spec with stock bass and adjusted treble . It sounds great and is quieter than the Mosky even unboxed

I managed to keep it really neat but I kept working when I got tired and melted one of the caps lol. It's an odd value, too. Classic

• pt22pt22 Frets: 290
    Shameless plug, but if any true amateurs reading here want a KOT kit I’ve got one for sale in the classifieds. My sig has the link. 
    Something like this for the Klon, in keeping with the mythical beasts theme. Will have to check how it looks in black and white

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    It's come out better than I expected printed out

I will use pink davies knobs and a white 3mm LED in one of my Ali Express bezels https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006195409490.html

• jasonbone75jasonbone75 Frets: 644
    That looks ace!
    Cheers @jasonbone75. ;

Got the decal on, it's a bit wrinkly but it'll be fine. I'll chase the bubbles out when it's dried a little

The clear coat will make the black bits darker. It always looks pale when you first put it on

• ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6217
    tFB Trader
    really love following this thread, nice to see everyones DIY builds... such a cool hobby. 

Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12932
    ThorpyFX said:
    really love following this thread, nice to see everyones DIY builds... such a cool hobby. 

Do you still build other people's circuits for fun Adrian or is that too much like work these days? 

I havent built anything for a while. The insane postage cost at Tayda (for enclosures) puts me off these days. I do kinda want to build a Sexdrive and a Lightspeed, though. 
    Anything but practice @ThorpyFX !
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6217
    tFB Trader
    ThorpyFX said:

Do you still build other people's circuits for fun Adrian or is that too much like work these days? 

I havent built anything for a while. The insane postage cost at Tayda (for enclosures) puts me off these days. I do kinda want to build a Sexdrive and a Lightspeed, though. 
    rarely.... but i do do it.  the problem is i find myself wanting to do more than 1 and then... it becomes a thing. so for instance i wanted to build something for me over christmas, couldn't accept anything other than perfection. once it was done it looked like a product and so I've made ten and will put them live at some point... 

the passion for engineering is very much still there though. 
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com