What is a simple paint job / Finish to do?

What's Hot
A few years ago I got a HB telecaster kit from Thomanns that is still unopened, I guess now is as good time as any to put it together but I want to paint the body White.

I like to do it like this semi-translucent look, what tools/paint do I need?  Cheap as possible, I am not bothered if it isn't 100% perfect.  One thing I don't want is a sticky paint finish.  Is there a clear coat that I need to apply afterward?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6394
    Nitro lacquer from a rattle can (wear a proper mask) to finish off.  I found Poly lacquer too soft.

Alternatively if the wood is in any way presentable then 10-12 coats of gun oil is easiest (if time consuming doing the rub downs after it dries - 100s of videos on YouTube)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27657
    What's the body wood like on your actual kit  - ie is it worth showing off, or should it be covered up??

If the former, I'd use  a Crimson stain with finishing oil over the top - cheap, and easy.

Or you could try one of the Osmo stains, particularly if you want a white-ish finish like the image above.

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7063
    tFB Trader
    As @TTony says, how about wipe on Osmo Oil (white)?
    https://vanillawoodfloors.co.uk/osmo-polyx-oil-tints

I've never tried Osmo but it seems about as simple as it gets.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8750
    I love Osmo PolyX. Oil finishes are easier than paint, and Osmo is easier to use than Tru-Oil. For colour you can mix in your own pigments. I’ve only used oil paint pigments, which are normally solid colour, but used thinly enough they allow the wood to shine through. You should also be able to source proper translucent pigments.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11901
    Roland said:
    I love Osmo PolyX. Oil finishes are easier than paint, and Osmo is easier to use than Tru-Oil. For colour you can mix in your own pigments. I’ve only used oil paint pigments, which are normally solid colour, but used thinly enough they allow the wood to shine through. You should also be able to source proper translucent pigments.
    Thanks all.

How would I mix it? as in ratio?  When you say oil paint, like B&Q Dulux or are there specific paint I should be looking at.

When it is done, do I still need to apply a layer of nitro lacquer from a can?
  • Roland said:
    Thanks all.

How would I mix it? as in ratio?  When you say oil paint, like B&Q Dulux or are there specific paint I should be looking at.

When it is done, do I still need to apply a layer of nitro lacquer from a can?
    I believe oil paint refers to artists oil paints, not domestic paints like Dulux. Oils like Osmo Polyx are durable and 'cure' much the same as paint i.e. they don't need to be lacquered over, they are instead of lacquer. If I remember correctly Osmo Polyx is usually used for finishing stripped wooden floors, so certainly durable. There was a thread on alternatives to Wudtone finishes a few years ago which had lots of info. If I can find it I'll post a link.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Here you go. Quite a long thread but some useful info from @Jez6345789 on page 3 if you follow the discussion to that point.

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/76402/wudtone-black-magic-woman-finish-any-experience/p1

Artists’ oil paint pigments. You’ll have to judge the mix ratio depending on the colour, and the density of the pigment. For example, Titanium White and Lead White are similar colours but different colour densities. The good thing with an oil finish is that you can build the colour density up with layers, so err on the dilute side and you can add more. The colours on this ark were built up. The first layer was semi-transparent. The second layer was actually weaker. Together they became sufficiently opaque, but still let the wood grain show.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Roland said:

Artists’ oil paint pigments. You’ll have to judge the mix ratio depending on the colour, and the density of the pigment. For example, Titanium White and Lead White are similar colours but different colour densities. The good thing with an oil finish is that you can build the colour density up with layers, so err on the dilute side and you can add more. The colours on this ark were built up. The first layer was semi-transparent. The second layer was actually weaker. Together they became sufficiently opaque, but still let the wood grain show.

How did you apply it? Sponge? 
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1797
    Old lint free T-shirt just make a basic rubber and apply light coats.
    you can mix it up say 50 or 100 ml polyox then start adding controlled amounts then mix wipe a little on to some scrap until you get the mix you want.
  • Try rustoleum colourwash and  good clearcoat over it maybe?
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.

How did you apply it? Sponge? 
    Soft brush
  • dchwhitedchwhite Frets: 182
    If feedback from someone with zero finishing skills is of any use - about a hundred years ago, Jooky very kindly sent me some hard wax oil to try on a Tele body. I liked the results on the front and back, but managed to bodge the sides somehow, and it's only now in lockdown I've got some time to try and sort it out. 

Unfortunately, I don't actually know what I did wrong, and so have successfully repeated whatever the error was. The front and back are exactly what I was hoping for, but it just wouldn't 'take' on the edges for some reason. I have tried sanding off the worst runs and blobs, and (just to compound whatever the original mistake was) I'm trying to patch the sides with a different brand (Fiddes), but it's not very much better. I'm not into relic finishes at all, but the sides looked much better just being sanded down, so I think it's either live with a 'worn' look or maybe flog on and let someone else have a go. 

Good luck with whatever you decide anyway :)

Stonevibe: 'The best things in life aren't things'.

Trading feedback: Previous (+18) and Current

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I have decided to go spray paint, just to be lazy...will these work?

Sandpaper to smooth it down first, then spray a couple of coats of the blue (decided to go for this), to sort of recreate this Nash guitar that I almost bought once upon a time.

For the headstock, what can I use for the finish? Just the Lacquer or the Osmo oil?  Thanks

• GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8824
    tFB Trader
    I believe that the cellulose clear coat will have a reaction to the acrylic 
  • Revolting1Revolting1 Frets: 295
    Mixing Acrylic and nitro paint may well be a recipe for disaster-adverse paint reactions, curly finish or not drying properly.

Check with the Nitro supplier.
    When logic and proportion
    I believe that the cellulose clear coat will have a reaction to the acrylic 
    Oh, what would you recommend?
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8824
    tFB Trader
    Cellulose colour and a cellulose clear. To achieve that colour you’ll need daphne blue or sonic blue, amber tint and gloss or satin clear coat. Check out @SteveRobinson for aerosols. 

I can already tell you’ll do a better job than Nash did. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2020
    Cellulose colour and a cellulose clear. To achieve that colour you’ll need daphne blue or sonic blue, amber tint and gloss or satin clear coat. Check out @SteveRobinson for aerosols. 

I can already tell you’ll do a better job than Nash did. 
    Oh, I forgot, I think i need a clear coat.  I guess also cellulose base as well.

Need to mask off the neck joint, somehow create a contraption so it is hanging in the air for me to spray it 360...
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7063
    tFB Trader
    The Nash guitar has a white primer undercoat, you might want to reproduce that?

I have everything you need, check out my website for painting demos. If you need any advice please ask.