New here, thought I would share my latest build

What's Hot

Comments

• JGTayJGTay Frets: 210

Pics from yesterday and today.

Selected an offcut of the oak and set about cutting a thin slice off the top with a block to help guide the saw.

near enough level cut all the way down 

Then cut through from the top

And set about levelling it off...

Once it was level and smoothed off it was to the gluing and clamping stage. Yesterdays progress complete.

This morning it was off with the clamps and started shaping and sanding. Put an old nut in to protect the fret board.

Sanded to 2500 grit, will see how it is after the first coat of oil has dried.

First coat of oil and nut back in place to make sure it fits, nice and tight. Will need at least another couple of coats, but very happy with how it looks.

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6394
    Wowsers ! That sets it off a treat.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MLten80MLten80 Frets: 162
    Very cool! Defo the finishing touch
     I wish I could (be arsed to) get mine polished that well also :)
     Great skills 

A few more updates from yesterday and today.

Decided to sort out the gap around the back plate for the three way switch access, may do the other when I get a minute, but that one isn't as bad.

Put a couple of wraps of cling film around the panel to stop the filler sticking to it and then set about filling the gap.

Left it for a few hours to dry out fully, then sanded it back, cleaned up the area and then went over it with a thin layer of super glue to give it more strength.

Once the glue had dried tested the plate back in place 

Then painted the filler black, sanded smooth and another coat of super glue

Back in with the plate. Not overly convinced yet with the result, but it definitely looks a lot better than it did. 

Back to the neck. Buffed up the frets and did some tidy up of the fret board. Three coats of oil on the headstock completed, also made a truss rod cover with a magnet holding it in place and put the tuners back on.

Ready to go back on the body...

The weigh in before the photo shoot...

Some pics in its usual spot

And then outside for some glamour shots...

Still need the control plate tidied, but going to see how I feel about the other one first and it also needs a final polish up.

Hopefully can take it round to a friends place soon so he do a full test and record a video in his home studio. (he doesn't know this yet though... shhhh!)

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27641
    The headstock veneer looks impressive.

But I’m as impressed with the way that you made it!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8733
    This has been a most enjoyable build, and I do like that headstock.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Revolting1Revolting1 Frets: 295
    Truly inspirational.

How does it sound?
    When logic and proportion
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3128
    Lovely job.  It looks super but there is also a refreshing amount of experimentation on show too.

Oh, and welcome to the "Tell me again?  Why do guitars have to be SO heavy?" club  :)
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    Just found this thread. I somehow missed it. Extremely impressive especially bearing in mind the tools available. Bravo!
    Thanks guys. Really pleased with the results. I have built a new bridge for it today, wasn't happy with the way the other one was positioned and also the intonation was slightly out on the bass side. This has all been sorted with the new bridge and the intonation is spot on.

Will post some pics later of the new bridge. 
    Lovely job.  It looks super but there is also a refreshing amount of experimentation on show too.

Oh, and welcome to the "Tell me again?  Why do guitars have to be SO heavy?" club  :)
    Thanks Andy and yes it is light... Didn't realise you had a club for it :)

I am actually very surprised at how well balanced it is, had it on a strap earlier and it sits perfectly level, no neck dive. 

It has also surprised me at the volume of sound when not amped up, I didn't expect it to work well acousticly, but for practice it is very good.

Plugged in it is a joy to play, has a really nice sound and good clarity, not that I am very good...

The action is amazing, lightest touch gives a clear note and no fret buzz anywhere.

It is now hanging on the wall in the living room and I have to leave it there for a few days while I do the finishing touches on the daughter's guitar. 

As soon as I can I will get my friend to give it a full test and post a video. 

The new bridge, same saddle. Slightly slimmer, but a bit taller.

Cleaned up where the glue squeezed out and gave it a buff.

New bridge in place. Can now access the thumbwheels a lot easier, but with the new height bridge the posts are at the lowest point and the action is spot on. Not the best pic, had gone dark outside and just wanted to show the new look.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3230
    Fantastic build, hugely impressed by what you’ve achieved.
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3128
    Looks the business.
  • TheOtherDennisTheOtherDennis Frets: 2011
    Very nice indeed.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
    Thank you all for the comments. Have really enjoyed this build and hopefully will have a video in the near future.

I am in the process of doing the final bits on my daughters guitar, which has been sat waiting while I did this one. Then it will be onto the next project, an attempt at a through neck acoustic... Have started drawing up some plans for how it will go together, will start a new thread when I get started on it. :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • THR1LLHAU5THR1LLHAU5 Frets: 180
    This looks classy as anything. Absolutely fascinating to see the process, too. Great work, thanks for sharing! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Have now finished my daughters guitar, oak body and maple neck. Didn't take many pics during this build, so thought I would just put it on the end of this build project.

This is the colour and shape she wanted, so apologies for the colour...

Last night my brother asked me to make something for him, non guitar related, but thought I would show what stopped me from getting started on the next project...

First coat of stain

Made a bowl and stained it, before oiling

And then made a stand for it.

Replica of Gandalf's pipe :)

Next project can be started soon...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1260
    I for one am hugely looking forward to seeing the next build. That’s a damned fine looking and very distinctive instrument. 

Are you going to keep developing the idea of making your own tailpieces, bridges, and pickup mounting rings? I kind of hope so, I think there are some very cool ideas in that bridge/tailpiece setup which are worthy of further development, it immediately sets this guitar apart and underlines the one-of-a-kind, truly hand built nature of it...
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • PURE WOW!
    Fantastic  build and i really dig the shape of that headstock. Bravo!