Any NSG owners out there?

What's Hot
UncleBiffUncleBiff Frets: 52
It's been a long time since I've made anything, and I kept no records of anything I made or where they went, apart from a few 'in build' pics of some of them and a few photo shoots of stuff that went on the website.
I'd love to know if anyone's still playing them or where they ended up.
I've bought a few back over the years as I kept nothing, as I always needed the money, so everything got sold.
Here's what I've currently got:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vrpnc95z6t6rti9/AABWACdymzTtEg-o6QMQpTJ3a?dl=0
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• danny_777danny_777 Frets: 660
    edited May 2020
    I used to own the first one there - the spalted top! Sadly had a slightly twisted neck which made the action a bit of a nightmare. I owned another NSG for a bit, but sold it a few months ago. 

Have always loved the NSG offset singlecut shape but always found the distance between the bridge and the bridge pickup slightly too far, and the necks a little wide, sadly. But such a gorgeous design - one of the best, IMHO.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I LOVE that worn Tele, by the way!
  • Johnw84Johnw84 Frets: 55
    I currently own a couple. A 25 and a 26.

I love them, actually had a post up in the classifieds not long ago seeing if anyone was selling!

I'll get a few pics up when I get back on the computer. Love that Flamed 25. Stunning! 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27482
    These ones have been in my hands at one time or another ...

From l to r;
    1.   Last known owner:  Sporky
    2. You've got it already.
    3. I passed this one on to @strumjoughlamps ; - can't remember who he sold it to, but he probably does (there's a story to that one too).
    4. That stunner is still mine

Plus I had this one for a few years, but you already know where this one is!

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • UncleBiffUncleBiff Frets: 52
    danny_777 said:
    I used to own the first one there - the spalted top! Sadly had a slightly twisted neck which made the action a bit of a nightmare. I owned another NSG for a bit, but sold it a few months ago. 

Have always loved the NSG offset singlecut shape but always found the distance between the bridge and the bridge pickup slightly too far, and the necks a little wide, sadly. But such a gorgeous design - one of the best, IMHO.
    That's interesting feedback. Guitars are such a personal thing and it just needs to feel 'right' for each player.  Maybe I'll try and hit that sweet spot for you with a few tweaks to a future build. 

Johnw84 said:
    I currently own a couple. A 25 and a 26.

I love them, actually had a post up in the classifieds not long ago seeing if anyone was selling!

I'll get a few pics up when I get back on the computer. Love that Flamed 25. Stunning! 
    Love it! Let me see some pics.
    This is one of my favourite things I ever made.The Koa top and neck look amazing and I personally love the 3x 90's.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

3. I passed this one on to @strumjoughlamps ; - can't remember who he sold it to, but he probably does (there's a story to that one too).
    What the hell is that 3rd one? That is not an NSG!
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    UncleBiff said:
    danny_777 said:

That's interesting feedback. Guitars are such a personal thing and it just needs to feel 'right' for each player.  Maybe I'll try and hit that sweet spot for you with a few tweaks to a future build. 

Excellent news! To be clear, it was only in the "tele x2" layout , which places the bass-side bridge pickup into more of a "middle" position.
    UncleBiff said:
    You sure about that ...

I bought it from eBay.

It had been wrecked.  Someone had butchered the frets and "installed" some mega-cheap, and even nastier, pickups and invented a new way of wiring them together.

I had work done on the fretboard properly - repairing the damage done when it had been re-fretted previously, re-radiusing it, and adding the fret markers.  Then  I put in the P-Rails & rings and gave the body some TLC.  Looks like I only had a bit of offcut maple  to use as the cavity cover though - that could have been better!

The neck pickup cavity is slightly over-sized.  Up (really) close you can see that the pickup ring doesn't cover the whole cavity.  I'm guessing that it "escaped" from the build process somewhere along the line. 

Whilst obviously not an official NSG - no headstock logo, etc - but it's got all your design features and the woods are top quality too.  It played really nicely, and was a comfortable weight (I'd guess 7lbs ish from memory).

• merlinmerlin Frets: 6682
    edited May 2020
    This one #3 was bought by me from @strumjoughlamps , sadly I don't remember who I sold it to but wish I hadn't....
    TTony said:
    UncleBiff said:
    You sure about that ...

I bought it from eBay.

It had been wrecked.  Someone had butchered the frets and "installed" some mega-cheap, and even nastier, pickups and invented a new way of wiring them together.

I had work done on the fretboard properly - repairing the damage done when it had been re-fretted previously, re-radiusing it, and adding the fret markers.  Then  I put in the P-Rails & rings and gave the body some TLC.  Looks like I only had a bit of offcut maple  to use as the cavity cover though - that could have been better!

The neck pickup cavity is slightly over-sized.  Up (really) close you can see that the pickup ring doesn't cover the whole cavity.  I'm guessing that it "escaped" from the build process somewhere along the line. 

Whilst obviously not an official NSG - no headstock logo, etc - but it's got all your design features and the woods are top quality too.  It played really nicely, and was a comfortable weight (I'd guess 7lbs ish from memory).

I had a body that was routed wrong on the CNC and a neck that had a split in it once. This guy kept pestering me to buy something cheap and I said no. Then he started talking about making something so I sold him the 2 substandard parts, just to get some money back for the wasted materials, and this is what he must have done with it. It sounds like you put a lot of hard work in to it,  but it just doesn't look right. I don't think it's classed an NSG if I didn't even make it! 
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    UncleBiff said:

This guy kept pestering me to buy something cheap and I said no. Then he started talking about making something so I sold him the 2 substandard parts, just to get some money back for the wasted materials, and this is what he must have done with it. It sounds like you put a lot of hard work in to it,  but it just doesn't look right. I don't think it's classed an NSG if I didn't even make it! 
    You should ask him what he did with that body and neck ...

I guess that's the risk that everyone has when disposing of rejects/b-stock/etc - you never know where they'll end up. 

I completely understand that you wouldn't want it described as an NSG when NS hadn't made the G, but when I  saw it on eBay (must be 10+ years ago), it was obviously one of "yours" in that the design was yours and the materials appeared to be of the sort of quality that I'd expect in your guitars, so I took a gamble.   I think the seller had probably used NSG in the description too - I had an eBay search set-up for your guitars for a while, which is probably how I came across it.

Yup, I spent a bit on getting it to a decent state, but it was a decent guitar.  I had it as my "car boot" guitar for years, in that I took it with me when I was working/staying away to play in the evenings.

Now @merlin just needs to remember who he sold it to ... was it here merlin, or off-forum?

Plus I had this one for a few years, but you already know where this one is!

That isn't the one you had. That is the original one that was oil finished and had a skunk stripe down the back of the neck, as I carved it to thin and went into the truss rod cavity, so I had to glue a strip in to get the extra depth. Those first ones were more 'sucked sweet' and slimmer too, with a concave back that your 'beer gut' would sit in.
    I was being lazy posting that image!  I didn't have this one hosted anywhere ...

• merlinmerlin Frets: 6682
    edited May 2020
    TTony said:

Now @merlin just needs to remember who he sold it to ... was it here merlin, or off-forum?
    Now how am I supposed to do that @TTony? ;;  
    It was here, so whoever it was may turn up soon enough. 

I have to second Tony's thoughts @UncleBiff ;, it was a great thing. I really don't know why I sold it....
    merlin said:
    TTony said:

I have to second Tony's thoughts @UncleBiff ;, it was a great thing. I really don't know why I sold it....
    merlin said:
    TTony said:

The woods would have been top notch and if it’s given everyone pleasure and enjoyment I suppose that’s ok.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1368
    I still have an NSG26. I think I've played it 3 or 4 times since I got it, and that was years ago after it eventually arrived. The process of getting it made was such a pain that I cannot face using it, and I really should get rid of it. It was made with the fretboard slightly tilted on the neck, so that the bass side is a little lower than the treble side. It hasn't caused the neck to distort, and string alignment is OK (It means you can notice that one side of the Bridge is higher), but I wonder whether anyone would actually want it.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    edited May 2020
    Always wanted one, could never afford one. Then you stopped making them! Shame on you D D
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I still have an NSG26. I think I've played it 3 or 4 times since I got it, and that was years ago after it eventually arrived. The process of getting it made was such a pain that I cannot face using it, and I really should get rid of it. It was made with the fretboard slightly tilted on the neck, so that the bass side is a little lower than the treble side. It hasn't caused the neck to distort, and string alignment is OK (It means you can notice that one side of the Bridge is higher), but I wonder whether anyone would actually want it.
    Which one was is it? Do you have any pics? If I’m honest, the bit I always found the trickiest was getting the fingerboard and Fretting just right. When I changed to CNC, and lots were coming through at once in a batch, I didn’t always have the time I needed to get them perfect. Potentially it could it be re-sanded level to even it up and refretted?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom