Space X/NASA launch

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27108
    It goes REALLY SLOWLY when they're in space!

Right around the planet every 90 minutes, but the last 200m of docking takes about as long! 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    mattdavis said:
    Nitefly said:
    AND they recovered the launch vehicle for re-use!

That was just amazing. Unfortunately there was a tactical loss of video feed for the actual landing. But it is an amazing technological feat. 
    Always will on drone ship landings. Hot gasses from the stage 1 rocket ionize the air around the ship causing chaos for live feeds transmitted through the air and not through cables trailing through the water... 

Either that or the Earth is flat.. I mean that Merlin booster was obviously photoshopped over that round blue thing... 

Mrs L was having giggle fits last night, as I was getting excited watching the launch, and apparently I don't ever get excited about anything.. I like space stuff.. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mattdavismattdavis Frets: 841
    That’s really interesting. Didn’t know about the ionisation issue
    It goes REALLY SLOWLY when they're in space!

Right around the planet every 90 minutes, but the last 200m of docking takes about as long! 
    Yep - we’re having a little break until the get a bit closer 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27108
    LuttiS said:
    mattdavis said:
    Nitefly said:
    AND they recovered the launch vehicle for re-use!

That was just amazing. Unfortunately there was a tactical loss of video feed for the actual landing. But it is an amazing technological feat. 
    Always will on drone ship landings. Hot gasses from the stage 1 rocket ionize the air around the ship causing chaos for live feeds transmitted through the air and not through cables trailing through the water... 

Either that or the Earth is flat.. I mean that Merlin booster was obviously photoshopped over that round blue thing... 

Mrs L was having giggle fits last night, as I was getting excited watching the launch, and apparently I don't ever get excited about anything.. I like space stuff.. 
    I told MrsF they were reusing the rockets but I think she assumed parachutes or something. Even she was excited when she realised they were landing them upright like Thunderbirds :D 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 4996
    edited May 2020
    I hope they do a better job than me, crashed it twice on the sim so far!

littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    Docking ahead of schedule messed up my viewing pleasure... Luckily YouTube has a rewind button :)

Watched it from 5m out, still took a while moving at 1/10th meter a second.. 

Exciting stuff!

And now Bob has a suit psi issue! 

Super exciting stuff!
  • KarlosKarlos Frets: 512
    LuttiS said:

And now Bob has a suit psi issue! 

Literally sounds like his zipper is open.
    Even in low Earths orbit a man's zipper can get him in trouble with the mrs.
    (the artist formerly known as KarlosSantos)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7442
    looks like "the right stuff" now means sitting very still and the ability to change into chinos and a polo shirt in a cramped space 
    Red ones are better. 
  • littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 4996
    The little sparkley dragon toy still making cameo appearances ahead of the official ISS entrance :D
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    Looks like Doug smacked his bonce during the transfer to the ISS. He’s travelled into orbit sat on top of vast quantities of highly explosive material, pulling major Gs to reach 17,000 mph - and then he bumps his head going through the hatch. That’s got to be irritating. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Revolting1Revolting1 Frets: 295
    I'm wondering if HAL is monitoring HAL?
    When logic and proportion
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72415

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4920
    That's going to be a horrible period of radio silence during the descent - godspeed and best of luck to them.

Yep - we’ve just watched it again. It really is a marvel of engineering and human endeavour that they can land a capsule from space in such a tiny target zone with such precision. So many procedures/operations that need to occur. Just fantastic. 
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2920
    I switched to Space X you tube channel as soon as the F1 finished and watched until they got they two guys out of the Dragon.  Utterly transfixed by the whole process.  Elon musk may be a bit of a twat but he runs a good tech company.  New age of Space travel here we come.

• DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4557
    .Elon musk may be a bit of a twat but he runs a good tech company.

Damn straight