who do you think are the musical geniuses?

What's Hot
12346»

Comments

• BudgieBudgie Frets: 2100
    "genius" is a quantification of intellect.

Music is not about the intellect. It's about the soul.

Or taking what is abstract (‘soul’) and giving it form ... through intellect. Being able to effortlessly jump between right brain creative thinking and left brain organisation of abstract ideas in a capacity greater than the average musician can be defined as genius. That’s why some musicians wrote their best stuff high as a kite, because those boundaries are often blurred as a result. 
    Or maybe they wrote that music because drugs reduce the intellect and make you a moron? ANYTHING GOES!! Dun dun daaa dun dun, da dun dun DA!!
    Interesting? Or not?

A quick show of hands would suggest not. Please see teacher. D-

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22939
    Vintage-T said:
    Josh Homme

Both real creators in my opinion.
    I dont know if he falls in my "genius" definition. He surrounds himself with excellent musicians that complement him, he has a great work ethic, he's produce some excellent music *but* it doesnt feel like he has that unmatchable lightning in a bottle thing if you know what I mean.

I'd liken him more to a successful CEO type in a way, talented, an excellent team player and ridiculous work ethic but not necesarily raw genius. He kind of sums up the 10% inspiration, 90% perspiration adage for me....and I dont mean that in any way to belittle his achievements. 
    The James Milner of rock?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • horsehorse Frets: 1568
    Anybody said Tom Waits yet?
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1949
    Ian Anderson
    &
    Steve Howe
  • Four pages in and no mention of Noel Gallagher. Smh. 
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    edited June 2020
    I'd query whether some names mentioned above deserve any mention at all in a thread about musical genius. Too many "sold-a-lot-of-records", "wrote-a-lot-of-great-songs" and "really-great-at-doing-one-thing" type suggestions for my liking, alongside several "who-the-blinks-are-they?" suggestions.

Would love to know WHY people think so-and-so is a musical genius rather than just reeling off names. Especially for the obscure nominations.

At least I gave a reason when I mentioned Frank Zappa. But no-one (including myself) has really defined musical genius, so it's all opinion. And like with all opinion, one can ignore almost all of the suggestions or contest them. The most mentions (i think, but then I'm biased) is Frank Zappa.

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    fandango said:
    I'd query whether some names mentioned above deserve any mention at all in a thread about musical genius. Too many "sold-a-lot-of-records", "wrote-a-lot-of-great-songs" and "really-great-at-doing-one-thing" type suggestions for my liking, alongside several "who-the-blinks-are-they?" suggestions.

Would love to know WHY people think so-and-so is a musical genius rather than just reeling off names. Especially for the obscure nominations.

At least I gave a reason when I mentioned Frank Zappa. But no-one (including myself) has really defined musical genius, so it's all opinion. And like with all opinion, one can ignore almost all of the suggestions or contest them. The most mentions (i think, but then I'm biased) is Frank Zappa.

Actually that is 100% my thoughts! After my initial post I figured that there would be a lot of posts on musicians that people like, and there's nothing wrong with that, but to me a large percentage are nowhere near 'genius' level. This is just my opinion so nobody needs to defend their choices, but I haven't seen many here that I agree with.
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2966
    ok.

Daevid Allen is a genius because he basically created an entire social rebellion through his art, poetry and music. A beatnik, he mixed with the likes of Allen Ginsberg & William Burroughs and spent time philosophising with Robert Graves on the Island of Deja. He was anti establishment and used his genius to tap into the mood of the times, founding Soft Machine to communicate with the psychedelic youth movement. His message was peace and love against big business, he handed out teddy bears to the police during the Paris riots. Then came Gong, with references to flying teapots drawing on Russel's Teapot and using drug culture to establish a following amongst the next generation of stoned innocent frankensteins. It worked. A whole subculture developed as a result. Not satisfied with that, he searched for other emerging movements, collaborating with the Here & Now band, already established at the forefront of the English free festival scene. Then he moved to America doing the same thing with New York Gong. He kept the message alive throughput his years on earth. Each time assembling extremely capable and talented musicians to spread his message. Hence the numerous members of the Gong family worldwide. A true artist of the highest calibre and with no equal in what he achieved and how he went about doing it.

Vin Garbutt is a genius because he is not just a beardy folk singer. His human observation and portrayal of the rights of all of us as individuals on this planet (including the unborn) ultimately coming together in the predictions laid out in When the Tide Turns. The message that we all play our part in the destruction of social values. He used a comedy persona to attract attention but no one, but no one, can match him for musical ability and emotional power when he has got your attention. No one has heard of him because he existed outside of the musical envelope. Songs like 'little innocents' never sit well with the casual observer.  The very definition of a genius. There will never be anyone to match up to Vin, God rest his soul.

Robert Wyatt is a genius because of Rock Bottom.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3067
    RobDavies said:
    Townshend.   

Which one?
    The ‘fifty five’ years but probably gives it away.