The Fretboard Rickenbacker Club (NSFW)

What's Hot

Comments

• slackerslacker Frets: 2242
    OK so this thread seems to have caused me a problem. I get the 360 out and let's learn I can see for miles its a one cords song right?

I can play all the chords but only have a vague idea where to play them. Nailed the solo though.

Thanks love frustrated from luton
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Currently have 340/6MG 1989  & 360/6JG 1999 

Previously had 70s 330JG and 360/12JG from 1998

I think my 340, owned from new, is the best guitar ever in the known universe. 

• GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7164
    Currently have 340/6MG 1989  & 360/6JG 1999 

Pics. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NeuroneNeurone Frets: 31
    Here's my lovely little case queen from 2002.

And my everyday guitar - whose origin is a total mystery, but clearly deserves a seat in rickenbacker heaven.

Trading feedback here
    0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4928
    Neurone said:

And my everyday guitar - whose origin is a total mystery, but clearly deserves a seat in rickenbacker heaven.

Greco?

edited June 2020
    prowla said:
    Neurone said:

Greco?

It's definitely a greco tailpiece, but some features closely match ric standards - double truss rod, the cavities marked with a pencil, the binding pattern, the fretboard inlays. Unless it's truly a Greco (which I honestly can't verify), I suspect it was a ric that's been disassembled, refinished and someone put greco parts where the ric parts where missing. I pushed the crime a bit further myself by adding a mastery bridge and a new truss rod cover. 
    Trading feedback here
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    Neurone said:

It's definitely a greco bridge, but some features closely match ric standards - double truss rod, the cavities marked with a pencil, the binding pattern, the fretboard inlays. Unless it's truly a Greco (which I honestly can't verify), I suspect it was a ric that's been disassembled, refinished and someone put greco parts where the ric parts where missing. I pushed the crime a bit further myself by adding a mastery bridge and a new truss rod cover. 
    Holy shit: Mastery do Rick bridges?!  Do they do 12 stringers?!?  *runs to Gooooogle*
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    JerkMoans said:
    Neurone said:

It's definitely a greco bridge, but some features closely match ric standards - double truss rod, the cavities marked with a pencil, the binding pattern, the fretboard inlays. Unless it's truly a Greco (which I honestly can't verify), I suspect it was a ric that's been disassembled, refinished and someone put greco parts where the ric parts where missing. I pushed the crime a bit further myself by adding a mastery bridge and a new truss rod cover. 
    Holy shit: Mastery do Rick bridges?!  Do they do 12 stringers?!?  *runs to Gooooogle*
    They’re £190. Also, doesn’t seem to be anything amiss on either of my twos bridges. I am a man who can justify an idiot spend, but I can’t get this one over the line 
    edited June 2020
    Ric bridges are usually fine (the one in my 360 does a perfect job for example), but with the 620, the strings kept snapping for some reason (maybe the saddle grooves were poorly filed, who knows). Once it happened on stage -on the precise day I did not have a backup guitar - I swore to myself "never again", and bought the mastery.
    Trading feedback here
    Neurone said:
    Ric bridges are usually fine (the one in my 360 does a perfect job for example), but with the 620, the strings kept snapping for some reason (maybe the saddle grooves were poorly filed, who knows). Once it happened on stage -on the precise day I did not have a backup guitar - I swore to myself "never again", and bought the mastery.
    Fair enough! The strap buttons and nut don’t look to be Ric, but I agree the rest looks remarkably accurate 
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4928
    Neurone said:
    Fair enough! The strap buttons and nut don’t look to be Ric, but I agree the rest looks remarkably accurate 
    Aye - were the threaded holes for the strap buttons plugged and then normal through-screw ones used?
    It’s a real head-scratcher that one. A quick google images search on Greco Ric copies and the neck looks more Greco than Ric... but then the body, paint aside, is very “right” looking. Honestly couldn’t call that. Cool guitar, whichever way it dresses. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72383
    A look at the wiring channel for the neck pickup will tell you one way or the other. Crudely done with a succession of drill holes - real Rick. Routed cleanly - Japanese.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    A look at the wiring channel for the neck pickup will tell you one way or the other. Crudely done with a succession of drill holes - real Rick. Routed cleanly - Japanese.

Interesting contrast!

And now for the 'aha' moment : http://imgur.com/gallery/IOIP5Ac

Trading feedback here
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72383
    Interestingly I've found some pics of 620s which seem a lot more cleanly routed than a 4001 usually is - more like that pic - but I still think that's a MIJ one, because the routing is very sharp and the channel is the same depth as the rest of the cavity. It could also be a ply body, unless that's an interesting pattern of router banding.

This appears to be a genuine 620 - notice that even though the channel is routed, the pickup cavities are drilled crudely! -

Whereas a 4001 usually looks like this - 

Or a little neater but still shallow, like this -

Rickenbacker are not known for their high-tech internal workmanship...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Based on the long list of mij specs (hardware, the very clean neck cavity), it's a very likely scenario that it is -in fact- a Greco. I did buy with a RIC case, which frankly adds to the confusion. 
    I am perfectly fine with any scenario tbh, all that matters at the end of the day is that it's a lovely guitar to play, and in my books, the non gloss finish makes it even more likeable. It's the one aspect I wished Rickenbacker wasn't so stubborn on.
    Trading feedback here
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3217
    edited June 2020
    Back in the club as of 10am this morning; ’92 Rickenbacker 330 in mapleglo with black hardware: 
    https://flickr.com/photos/157224850@N02/sets/72157714679847348
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Currently have 340/6MG 1989  & 360/6JG 1999 

Pics. 
    If we could upload them I would 
    Back in the club as of 10am this morning; ’92 Rickenbacker 330 in mapleglo with black hardware: 
    https://flickr.com/photos/157224850@N02/sets/72157714679847348
    Looks great - congrats man!
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1388
    Maybe it’s a bit mad to consider buying a new Ric but with the waiting lists etc how did you go about getting one? (If you bought new). Deposit to a particular shop and wait it out? Are they made to order or just a certain amount are on the market every few years?