Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Music room renovation

What's Hot

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Looks good Drew ... seems a decent-sized room as well.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Cheers Tim. The room isn't too bad size wise. I think I'll fit everything in that I need to. Gonna leverage the smaller alcove as amp+pedal shelves.

I fucking hate that light fitting. Ugly gash and total gashola. Need replace it I do.

Bye!

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6392
    Looking good - you decided not to acoustically treat the walls - any idea how marginal it is ?

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Jalapeno said:
    Looking good - you decided not to acoustically treat the walls - any idea how marginal it is ?

Didn't want to lose any space, so didn't do any extra layers of plaster for the walls or anything like that. In terms of materials for the walls, bricks and concrete are certainly preferred over hollow single-ply plasterboard walls like many modern builds are made out of. So I think I will be okay.

I will be putting absorption panels up soon.

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Cheers

Feedback
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    I may have to do this in my new house when I find it. I feel I might have to do the walls though too as I’ll have neighbours and probably paper thin walls. I wonder what one can do about that ?
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • @WiresDreamDisasters looks incredible that! well done
  • Rich31kRich31k Frets: 789
    Looks great. Good work doing it yourself too.

I fucking hate that light fitting. Ugly gash and total gashola. Need replace it I do.
    Do it !  We have the exact same one and it is a total arse ache changing blown bulbs.

Feedback
  • Lovely job. So great watching this being done. When my kids are gone I'm coming out of the loft!
  • Did some minor paint touch ups recently, waiting for skirting boards. They've quoted a 5-10 day delivery period. :astonished: 

But I didn't really want standard Wickes Torus type stuff. I've got for a slightly edged modern looking one. Ordered on Monday, hopefully it will arrive early next week.

Bye!

• *Aaron**Aaron* Frets: 73
    Great job mate, looks ace. Been enjoying this thread. Inspired to go down this route. My brother was playing in my loft the other day.
    I was surprised how much the sound travels to the ground floor.
    I priced up the matting and rock wool. Not too pricey.
    There’s a bloke on YouTube, Paul Davids. He posted up a video on his studio. Went the whole hog with sound proof windows and all.
    looking forward to seeing it all done...... bet you are too.

• WiresDreamDisastersWiresDreamDisasters Frets: 16664
    edited October 2020
    A tiny update. Did a bit of cleaning today. Floor+walls combo.

Bye!

• StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2416
    I may have to do this in my new house when I find it. I feel I might have to do the walls though too as I’ll have neighbours and probably paper thin walls. I wonder what one can do about that ?

Probably a mistake to buy a house that has poor sound isolation with the idea that you might be able to 'soundproof' it later -- it doesn't really work like that. Stopping sound transmission through walls and so on is really hard.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33801
    Stuckfast said:

Probably a mistake to buy a house that has poor sound isolation with the idea that you might be able to 'soundproof' it later -- it doesn't really work like that. Stopping sound transmission through walls and so on is really hard.
    Yup- pretty much.
    Acoustic treatment is much easier than sound proofing.

This is why I moved out of London- well that and the desire to see some country side.
  • You're never going to get 100% reduction. You just need to get enough so that it's not a bother to people. Time will tell with this house. But the first week we moved in, I blasted a ton of guitar music through my monitors at roughly twice as loud volumes as I would normally have, and I popped round to the neighbour and asked them if it was annoying. They said they could barely hear anything and that I should feel free to make noise.

So I'm approaching my room from a "I need it to sound good to mix in" approach rather than a neighbour centric approach. There has to be give-and-take on both sides when it comes to noise, and it has to be a conversation, not an argument.

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Well.. skirting is a bastard.

Bye!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    Well.. skirting is a bastard.
    Yep. I bodged mine good and proper!
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Last time I fitted some skirting I spent half a day and managed to waste about three lengths.  Got a man in who did the lot in 30 minutes 
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 984
    Did you buy a mitre saw?