Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Music room renovation

What's Hot

Comments

• The spend time save money guy is who I watched to learn how to do it. He makes it look easy, that's for sure!

My internal corners are coped; and they're better than my external ones!!

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    edited October 2020
    Barnezy said:

You do that, we all have different standards. I was just explaining how the professionals do it. In the 10 years I was a carpenter I never saw anyone draw the profile on a piece of paper, and if I did I would ask where they did their apprenticeship. 

Cor!!!!! I’m getting tagged all over the place!!!!

I'm not a chippy no... I used the bit of paper as I only had one scrap of skirt left... the paper is “another bit of skirting” just to show a way of doing it!... if you don’t have a chop saw and you can’t cut a 45deg in the board drawing the profile on the other bit of skirting works!!!!!!

anyhoo... the room looks bang tidy drew!!!! Top work!
  • I've got some shelves to make for the alcove next, which is where my valve amps are all gonna go. Then the next bit is to sort my desk out, I'd like my main keyboard to be on a pullout tray, and I want a small amount of rack space, and another small desk for pad midi controllers and things like that.

Also gotta start thinking about cable management.

Bye!

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33801
    I've got some shelves to make for the alcove next, which is where my valve amps are all gonna go. Then the next bit is to sort my desk out, I'd like my main keyboard to be on a pullout tray, and I want a small amount of rack space, and another small desk for pad midi controllers and things like that.

Also gotta start thinking about cable management.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Adjustable-Reusable-Cable-Straps/dp/B083K8M8Y1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    @Barnezy I totally get that that is the pro way to do it, and I would expect that from a tradesman. I definitely have lower standards for DIY - it’s what I can live with and get past Mrs Keefy!
  • Any tips on how to fix battens to brick for my amp shelves? I'm assuming that 7mm brown rawl plugs aren't going to be strong enough, so what anchors should I use for this?

Bye!

• I`d be tempted to use 2 or 3 threaded 8 or 10mm..dia.steel rods per side batten. Drill the holes 70mm. into the bricks, fill them with polyester resin, then insert the rods and let the resin set around them. It`s probably slight overkill, but with sleeve anchors or similar there would be a risk of them pulling out or loosening, that won`t happen with the resin. I`d not fancy trusting heavy amps on anything less. Batten along the back edge, and a stiffening rib on the underside of the leading edge of the shelves at the front will stop them sagging too. Room looks ace, you`ve made a cracking job of it.
    edited October 2020
    Any tips on how to fix battens to brick for my amp shelves? I'm assuming that 7mm brown rawl plugs aren't going to be strong enough, so what anchors should I use for this?
    100mm screws and two 50mm long rawl plugs... 

The batton will break before they’ll come out the wall!!!!!
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11916
    poopot said:
    Any tips on how to fix battens to brick for my amp shelves? I'm assuming that 7mm brown rawl plugs aren't going to be strong enough, so what anchors should I use for this?
    100mm screws and 50mm long rawl plugs... 
    do you want floating shelves?

I wouldn't be confident long term with 10kg+ amps at the distance they are out from the wall

You could try rawlbolts, like they use for big heavy TVs

If it's in an alcove are the shelves going to be supported on 3 sides?
    that would be OK
    Just use 10mm rawlplugs then.

Pay attention to where the threads of the screws are and how deep the plug is going
    How steady is your hand when drilling, you can end up with a hole wider than the bit, do you have an SDS drill?
    I often use an 8mm drill for a 10mm plug, because I know my cheap SDS drill is a bit wobbly.
    Ideally you should have to gently hammer the plug in

I like Pete Thorn's amp shelves

Actually, watch his whole build, 

Don’t forget, the weight is pulling down not out.

think of your kitchen cabinets, those things are normally held up by a few screws and a couple of small brackets... and they hold a shit tonne of weight in them...

As @ToneControl said, if the shelves are in an alcove and supported on all three sides you won’t have an issue...

edited October 2020
    poopot said:
    Don’t forget, the weight is pulling down not out.

think of your kitchen cabinets, those things are normally held up by a few screws and a couple of small brackets... and they hold a shit tonne of weight in them...

As @ToneControl said, if the shelves are in an alcove and supported on all three sides you won’t have an issue...

Kitchen wall cabinets are pretty shallow, you would not normally load them up with the weight of an amp, and not as far from the wall.
    Effectively the wall screws at the bottom are a pivot, and the ones at the top are trying to pull out, but the distance between pivot and that top screw is a lot further than the depth of the shelf. This will not be the case with wall shelves

reminded me: my mates, all 6 foot 19 year olds in their student house heard a break in during the night and were scared to go downstairs until the morning. Then they found the kitchen wall cabinets on the floor, with all the cans they had loaded into them!
    If you’re not supporting the amp shelves on 3 sides I would suggest something like Dexion racking, secured to the wall for stability.
  • Thanks all!

I was planning on supporting on all 3 sides, but I found a free standing 5-tier metal shelf unit that will fit in the gap, so just gonna do that instead!

Bye!

I wouldn't do this.
    I'd build a bookcase like structure out of hardwood and/or ply that fits amps you have now with space for two more and have it sit on the floor.

Or the scaffolding tubing we talked about previously and put some shelves on it.
  • @octatonic ;
    Yes free standing is the plan in the end :)

Bye!

@octatonic ;
    Yes free standing is the plan in the end :)
    Yes I missed the last reply- I think I replied to a cached version of the thread.

• Tight squeeze that one!!

Bye!

Tight squeeze that one!!
    The tower of power!