WezV DC Juniorish build

What's Hot

Comments

• TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3212
    Needs another humbucker ;)

Looks amazing, yet another stunning build; really impressed by the way that neck has turned out. I’ve had sceptical moments when checking in and following this thread, but it’s a cracking looking neck and as you say, 50s body meets 70s neck, it does just that. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16681
    Phil sent me this vid when we first started discussing it

Both guitarists are playing modded junior/special types
    I wired it up today and got the initial setup done, think it's gonna be a good one.

It's not as lively unplugged as a typical vintage junior, I guess due to the stiffer neck construction.  It suits the humbuckers really well though, pushes it into rockier territory for me.

Weight has landed at 7.8lbs.   Heavier than the average junior, but far from overweight.
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1481
    It's looking great Wez.  For everyone who wants to know what the hardware is, there is an original 70's Badass Bridge, original 60's Grover machine heads, pickups are Bare Knuckles,  bridge is a  2004 Emerald build and the middle is a 2004 AIV Mule, both in original 1964 Gibson pickup covers (from a 1964 335, that I took the covers off in the mid-70's [I rarely throw things away!]).  The only reason that I mention the year on the BK's is that I know Tim has tweaked the builds over the years.
    Just about done now I think.  its been incredibly stable over the last few weeks, barely needed tuning, which is an excellent sign for a newly constructed guitar

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27525
    Genius.

Great work Wez.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22875
    I can be honest now and say that there were times during the build process I wasn't 100% sure I liked it (not that that matters, it's not my guitar!).  But the end result looks brilliant!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Philly_Q said:
    I can be honest now and say that there were times during the build process I wasn't 100% sure I liked it (not that that matters, it's not my guitar!).  But the end result looks brilliant!
    I was right there with you at some points :D  
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2528
    Love it Wez :+1: 

• davrosdavros Frets: 1332
    That looks great, like something Gibson came up with in the 70s alongside the L6-S but without a fugly body shape!

Personally the maple board isn't me but swap it for rosewood and I'd play the shit out of it! (or play shitly on it).
    It's looking great Wez.  How does it sound and does the middle pickup give you a different sound to a neck pickup?
    Just wondering if that's set up with the 16 on the G (the set I sent, I think!).  If not, I'll probably have to turn the saddle around.
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    A very sound build and finish :)

It's definitely different to having a neck pickup, but I did find myself rolling off the tone to get closer to that.   I was slightly concerned the bridge and middle combo would be too similar, but the differences in the pickups stops that being an issue.

It's just got a normal set of 10s on at the moment... Will put the others on when  you know you can come over again.  The whole bridge can move back a bit if needed, but I haven't done the fine adjustment yet
    OK, I actually  have flights booked for late July.  I'm hoping that travel will be a bit easier then.  I'll be there about 6 weeks.
    awesome.   I will keep fiddling with this set of strings for now and restring once you are definitely on your way over.

edited July 2021
    Hopefully @philking will get his mitts on this soon.

The finish has crazed nicely now.   I think it's a nice mix of checking and grain sinkage

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Just picked this up from @WezV and I want to tell everyone how great it is.  It was meant to be something like a guitar I owned in the late 70's crossed with Terry Thomas' (from Charlie), LP Special.  It really is what I wanted, and the neck really feels like my 1960 LP Special, in profile and in the overall 'in-hand' feel.

I'm really happy with it (as you might have guessed).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • That's a really cool guitar. Nice work

• TrentGuitarsTrentGuitars Frets: 1731
    tFB Trader
    Love it