Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Second Hand Bargain Amps?

What's Hot

Comments

• AdeyAdey Frets: 2268
    edited October 2020
    StefB said:
    Pretty much most Laneys really. 

TT50 & TT100 are wonderful sounding, highly spec’d amps that can be picked up for embarrassingly little money. 
    Spot on. I have several TT20's & a TT100 2x12 combo.
    Like guitars, most people buy by name, looks or reputation rather than by how they actually sound  B

I really love my Laney TT50 (even if it has just developed a minor fault switching the master volumes on its own....  . )
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JotaJota Frets: 464
    65Amps.
  • ColsCols Frets: 7010
    ICBM said:
    Cols said:

I must be lucky; I’ve had one for about 20 years without incident.
    There's always one :).
    What’s the opposite of a Friday afternoon job?
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    ICBM said:

AFAIK, none of the "undesirable" 80s and 90s Twins are actually *bad*, they just don't all look and sound how people want a Twin to. And they weigh a bloody ton.
    The mid-90s 'Twin Amp' (AKA 'Evil Twin') is the best-sounding modern Fender amp I know of. But they do weigh as much as a small planet.

I had one badged the 'Pro Tube Twin Amp' Not nearly as good as the same era 'Pro Tube Super Amp' 4x10 and a lot lighter. Do wish I'd kept that one...
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17620
    tFB Trader
    I had a Pro Tube Pro Reverb.

Brilliant sounding cleans, horrible overdrive channel. Weighed almost as much as a Twin.
  • I had a Pro Tube Pro Reverb.

Brilliant sounding cleans, horrible overdrive channel. Weighed almost as much as a Twin.
    I too owned that one and I’d definitely echo the above 
  • greejngreejn Frets: 127
    I'm a big fan of SJB amps, also Carr and Victoria. For archtops it's hard to beat Schertler.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    hywelg said:

I had one badged the 'Pro Tube Twin Amp' Not nearly as good as the same era 'Pro Tube Super Amp' 4x10 and a lot lighter. Do wish I'd kept that one...
    The Pro Tube is the model that came after the ‘Evil Twin’. I didn’t think it sounded anywhere near as good. I’ve never seen the Super version. 

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BlueStratBlueStrat Frets: 966
    ICBM said:
    Rivera anything.
    +1 for this; Rivera amps are some of the best sounding best built amps ever but can be picked up for dirt cheap used. 
    Maybe they’re just not so well known here?
    Chubster 55 is a brilliant amp
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24807
    Music Man (I’m referring to the original 70s/80s models - not the reissues).

Exceptionally well-built amps with great clean/edge of break-up tones.
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    ICBM said:
    Rivera anything.

This....i picked up (well only a few times it was 32kg) a 2x12 M60 combo for £200 a few years ago. I ended up selling it for the same price as it needed a service and i was struggling to find anyone to work on it. Granted it needed a service, which is at least £100 but I didn't get as swamped as I was expecting. If it was a Fender or Marshall for the same price I think I would have had my hand ripped off.

In fact I know of pretty much the same amp for sale at the moment, just been serviced and he's beem asking just over £400 for it. That has been for sale for at least four months now.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • ftumchftumch Frets: 682
    BlueStrat said:
    ICBM said:
    Rivera anything.
    +1 for this; Rivera amps are some of the best sounding best built amps ever but can be picked up for dirt cheap used. 
    Maybe they’re just not so well known here?
    Chubster 55 is a brilliant amp
    #Cough# It just so happens I have a Rivera head for sale actually, shameless plug.
  • Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 1134
    You can get Bassbreaker 18/30s for about £250, big and loud, and not really useful for what they were marketed as, but as a pedal platform with a scooped side and a middy side, birch ply cab, 2x12 celestions, surely the quality is pretty good for that price. Selling mine if anyone’s interested.....too big and loud 
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12666
    Peavey Windsor 100 head.

The last one I had cost £100 and I bought it purely to stop gap whilst my DSL was having the usual, inevitable repairs.
    HUGE sounding - and sounded like a good Marshall should.
    I nearly picked up another recently... asking price £115.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30925
    the lower watt Cornfords. Absolutely marvellous.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• GassageGassage Frets: 30925
    And- any Roland JC amp.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18778
    StefB said:
    StefB said:
    Pretty much most Laneys really. 

TT50 & TT100 are wonderful sounding, highly spec’d amps that can be picked up for embarrassingly little money. 
    Spot on. I have several TT20's & a TT100 2x12 combo.
    Like guitars, most people buy by name, looks or reputation rather than by how they actually sound  B)
    Shout up if you ever fancy parting with the TT100 2x12.  I swear Laney only made about five of the damn things, and I've still yet to see one in the wild...
    Hi @StefB   funnily enough, I am likely to be looking to move the TT100 on, as it is (and always was) way way too much for my limited skills & home noodling needs.
     Rather than boring everyone here, if you're interested, you could PM me & I'll bore you there  ;)
    Might save me advertising it & you chasing one. Synchronicity  :)
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 2268
    There's a TT100 on eBay at the moment ....
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18778
    Yep, it has been there a few times, although I can't really work out why? apart from the lack of shipping possibilities.
    Seems to be missing the FS6 MIDI foot controller though, which is about £150-£200 to replace, if you get really lucky.
  • Old Peavey tube amps like the deuce and the original classic always seem like a good buy of you need to be loud and evil.