Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Second Hand Bargain Amps?

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    Pabcrane said:

I was going to say the Laney LC15R as I picked one up for a little over a hundred quid - but I have retreated to my corner following the ICBM attack ;)
    I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you that it doesn’t break :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PabcranePabcrane Frets: 489
    edited November 2020
    ICBM said:
    Pabcrane said:

I was going to say the Laney LC15R as I picked one up for a little over a hundred quid - but I have retreated to my corner following the ICBM attack
    I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you that it doesn’t break .
    Thanks for that! To be honest I was unaware they are prone to breaking - I have had it a couple of years so far and moved it about a bit. It's got a Celestion Gold in it and pleased my ears (but I've clearly got no taste!) But that f#+&cling glue they use on the inside tolex...
    Pabcrane said:

But that f#+&cling glue they use on the inside tolex...
    ... is sadly illustrative of the quality of the rest of it :(. If you bought it for that price with the Gold already in it’s hard to complain though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    edited November 2020
    Reminded of this from another thread. Marshall Valvestate 1x12 8080 80V mk1.  Great sounding, light (yes it's SS with an ECC83 in gain channel) and it wasn't Marshall's best seller for nothing. Cheap as chips and hugely under rated.
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    Pabcrane said:
    ICBM said:
    Pabcrane said:

I was going to say the Laney LC15R as I picked one up for a little over a hundred quid - but I have retreated to my corner following the ICBM attack
    Thanks for that! To be honest I was unaware they are prone to breaking - I have had it a couple of years so far and moved it about a bit. It's got a Celestion Gold in it and pleased my ears (but I've clearly got no taste!) But that f#+&cling glue they use on the inside tolex...
    I had an LC15 and yes, the tolex came unstuck inside the cab. I think I bought it on the basis of 'valve amp so must be a good thing' before I knew any better. I replaced the horrible HH speaker with a Jensen ceramic, which slightly improved it, but it was never a great amp.
    Keefy said:
    Pabcrane said:
    ICBM said:
    Pabcrane said:

I had an LC15 and yes, the tolex came unstuck inside the cab. I think I bought it on the basis of 'valve amp so must be a good thing' before I knew any better. I replaced the horrible HH speaker with a Jensen ceramic, which slightly improved it, but it was never a great amp.
    I must have a good one. Or cloth ears maybe!
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    Laney gh and aor already mentioned...orange rocker 30 also been mentioned...i would add Selmer T&B if you can get one if good condition. Also...are we talking tube amps only?...if not...late 70’s/early 80’s Peavey sold state amps...bandit, studio, soloist and everything! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    Pabcrane said:
    Keefy said:
    Pabcrane said:
    ICBM said:
    Pabcrane said:

I must have a good one. Or cloth ears maybe!
    I just recall it sounding rather congested and middly. That might actually suit some musical applications!
  • Anyone tried a Peavey Triumph Pag 60?
    Anyone tried a Peavey Triumph Pag 60?
    Heavy, very 80s sounding and not particularly easy to work on if I remember rightly. I’d buy a Bandit instead, personally.

But then I’m not really a fan of most of Peavey’s valve amps, compared to their solid-state ones...

• LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    Another +1 for Kustom 36 Coupe, silly good value. Got mine for around £120, I think they were close to a grand new and well worth it for the sound, and the tuck n roll just looks awesome :) 

Also, the old Marshall Valvestates such as the v265.. a lot of amp for not much money. 
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    ICBM said:
    Anyone tried a Peavey Triumph Pag 60?
    Heavy, very 80s sounding and not particularly easy to work on if I remember rightly. I’d buy a Bandit instead, personally.

But then I’m not really a fan of most of Peavey’s valve amps, compared to their solid-state ones...
    Peavey solid states were/are the benchmark for solid state amps. They managed to do it 40-50years ago and nothing since has been as consistently good...in my opinion anyway
    edited December 2020
    LuttiS said:
    Another +1 for Kustom 36 Coupe, silly good value. Got mine for around £120, I think they were close to a grand new and well worth it for the sound, and the tuck n roll just looks awesome  

Also, the old Marshall Valvestates such as the v265.. a lot of amp for not much money. 
    Wow! Where are guys finding these Kustoms for £120 or £200? I've been looking and haven't seen them under £300.
  • Pabcrane said:
    LuttiS said:
    Another +1 for Kustom 36 Coupe, silly good value. Got mine for around £120, I think they were close to a grand new and well worth it for the sound, and the tuck n roll just looks awesome  

Wow! Where are guys finding these Kustoms for £120 or £200? I've been looking and haven't seen them under £300.
    One here for £279:

https://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/product/kustom-and-36-coupe-amp-black-2nd-hand-yother101820/
  • MarchMarch Frets: 286
    Trace Elliot Speed Twin
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2289
    The Genz Benz Black Pearl 30. 

Superb amp at any level  

So many tone options. Proper valve stuff.

I could sell all my many other amps and just use this for everything. Genius design swallowed up by FMIC. 
  • longilongi Frets: 95
    I've bought Laney GH50's - 100's for less than £100 a few times. I must have bought 4 50'S and 3 100's and sold them on for a massive profit. I wish I'd kept at least one of the GH50's I really like them. Nice amps.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1445
    Wem Dominator, especially mk2 and mk3 models. I just bought a mk2 for £220 and it’s ridiculously good. So good in fact that the owner/engineer at my last session has now bought one for his studio. 

I bought a WEM Dominator Mk3 a few months back for the grand total of £200.  All original, including the Mullards.  Didn't bond with it though and it's been moved on.

I think my best bargain was the Frenzel you sold me @jimmyguitar ; - I've got two now, great amps for peanuts.
    March said:
    Trace Elliot Speed Twin
    Only if you can fix it yourself for free...

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Pabcrane said:
    LuttiS said:

One here for £279:

https://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/product/kustom-and-36-coupe-amp-black-2nd-hand-yother101820/
    There you go then.

Still, that's quite a bit more than £120. If it was £120 I would get one to try.