Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

1962 Guild X175, Washburn J6 - both sold

What's Hot

Comments

• Whoever ends up with the J-6 will get a pretty cool guitar!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5025
    bubblecar said:
    Oh lord please stop this DB1...
    Just to be sure, we're missing a comma here, aren't we? Aren't we?  :)
    Call me Dave.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Haz478Haz478 Frets: 64
    DB1 said:
    bubblecar said:
    Oh lord please stop this DB1...
    Just to be sure, we're missing a comma here, aren't we? Aren't we?  :)
    Don’t go out in a storm, that’s all I would say. Or at least wear rubber soles!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Whoever ends up with the J-6 will get a pretty cool guitar!
    They will Fred - it's very similar in feel and size to the Guild -bothe relatively slim necks compared to the L-5, and the Guild with the Franz's probably has more of smokey sound. The Washburn's slightly more traditional 'Wes'.
    Call me Dave.
    edited December 2020
    Price reduction for the Washburn from £500 to £450 - I'm having a fairly ruthless tidying up session, so £450 it is, until the end of the week. Edit: End of the week came and went, and just spent £150 on an extensive fret dress, tidy up, electrics clean-up and new nut, so £500 again. Somehow I seem to have just cost myself £100. Cheap day then, comparatively.
    Call me Dave.
    ES-335 sold - @Surfmonkey77 - it was a pleasure to meet you, chat to you and deal with you.
    Call me Dave.
    edited November 2020
    Reasonably priced guitar alert!

Here's a Peavey Rockingham in very, very good condition. It's also got a good hard case with it - this is the Korean version, which are supposed to be better than the Chinese versions. To be honest, though, I've had two of each, and I thought that the Chinese versions were just as good. You know the story of these, right? You don't want me to tell you again, right? PM me if you do though, just to save every other poor sod from having to read it.

It's a good job that i don't run spreadsheets on guitars, as I'd be depressed as to how much money I lose every time. I only paid £320 for this, but I got it and it had sharp fret edges. I toyed with the idea of doing it myself, but it would have ended up like one of Pete Townshend's. So, I've just had it set up and fret dressed, which was another £90.

Yours for £300 as I want it gone, as I'm in a ruthless mood. I've had lots of Terada Gretsches, so I'm not pretending that this is as good, but it's bloody good value comparatively, and I do find the necks nicer (for me) on these. However, I'm also a badge snob, so I don't like it not being a Gretsch. I'm so much of a snob that when I go out looking for clothes, I'll only look in the bins of detached houses.

Drop me a note if you think it might be your cup of rockabilly tea.

Withdrawn as it's not very exciting really.

I had to smile - I thought I'd send an offer to the eBay watchers for this one. It was £349, but I thought £300 was reasonable, considering that it's immaculate, it's got a case, just been fret dressed and set up, etc. Immediate counter-offer - £250.

I'd prefer to be beaten into a coma by the genitals of an enraged elephant than do that.  Don't knock it 'til you've tried it, by the way.

Call me Dave.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited November 2020
    I bought a Duesenberg Starplayer TV last week, but it's not for me. It was, and then I bought a Fano RB6 from @brucegill and even though the neck is a barely disguised tree trunk, the frets are clearly stolen from a railway track, I don't particularly like relics, offsets or German carves, I absolutely love the thing.

So this now feels a bit slim for me. The action is beautiful and low, no rattles, buzzes, nothing. The wobble stick works up and down and stays in tune. Let me know if  I'm getting too technical.

it's immaculate, almost new, fantastically well-built and a bit of a page 3 stunner. Fit and finish, hardware, even the case are top notch - it's the Audi of the guitar world. So much so that it escaped on to the main road this morning, cut an old lady up at the roundabout and flicked the V's at her.

(I appreciate that the idea of selling it to an Audi driver has just disappeared, but I was only joking. Change it to BMW if you like).

It's nearly new, it's ex-demo, although it clearly hasn't been demo'd much - they're usually about the £2100 mark new, I think, though Peach have one in this colour (Vintage White) at £1899. Save £300 and have this at £1599.

I don't mind delivering it as long as you're not more than four days hours drive away and you get the pleasure of seeing me. I've read this back to my wife and she suggested taking £100 off for that. Harsh, but fair, so £1499.

I've included a few pics for this one, but have more if you're interested, including one of Kenny sticking his tongue out at me.

As usual, PayPal can get stuffed, just give me cash or a bank transfer. Trades? Well, I don't know. I think I've had most things. and not much excites me.

Call me Dave.
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The only words I have a ‘wow’ and ‘trade?’.
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
    Thanks Mr, V. I'm struggling for enthusiasm with trades at the moment. I dunno, maybe PRS McCarty SC, ES-330, 345, 275, Huber Krautster or something  like that. I don't mind taking money or adding money, etc - perhaps a really nice acoustic.

I guess I'd like to sell it so I could decide what to buy ideally.
    Call me Dave.
    edited November 2020
    Duesenberger gone
    Call me Dave.
    edited November 2020
    A little bump for the Washburn - a nice woody tone. Not too wide a neck - 35mm E to E, and 42mm overall nut width. 

Not so much of a bump for the Guild - ah, I'm struggling with this one. The refret, electrics overhaul and great set up has made it into an old vintage classic that plays like a modern Eastman, but with that Franz goodness. 

Here's a couple of Washburn pics as I only posted one last time. Less than a quarter of the Guild's price for nearly all of the Guild goodness. 

Also @danishbacon s original thread, which is much better than mine.

Call me Dave.
    An update on the Washburn in reply to the literally no questions that I've been deluged with about it. Fred very properly said that it was a bit crackly on the pots, which is understandable considering that it's 40 years old.

Anyway, I had a think about it and it's going in to 'Mr Norton' (see above) later for a set up and any issues addressed. He's quite keen for me to bring a couple in as he's planning his next holiday at the moment.
    Call me Dave.
    4reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2020
    OK, just a little bump for the Guild, and another one for the Washburn, which Mr Norton has insisted has a fret dress and set up, plus the crackly electrics sorted, regardless of cost. His words, not mine.

Here's another one for sale - I bought this from @danishbacon a few weeks ago, and here's his original ad. I thought it was lovely then, as you'll note by my rather lustful comments, and I think it's lovely now. https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/190908/sold-prs-mccarty-goldtop#latest

I hadn't really thought too much about PRS's until recently, when I was waiting for root canal work, and spotted a brochure in reception. Anyway, that piqued my interest, I saw Fred's ad and bought the guitar.

Really impressed with it - Fred mentioned that it had some fret wear and it did, not that it was particularly noticeable when playing. So, off to Mr Norton to get a fret dress, a set up and a tone pot replaced. He was looking through a holiday brochure for Madeira when I got there.

'Madeira - fortnight's break?', I asked. 'No, buying it', he replied.

Anyway, as Fred will tell you, this guitar impressed me a lot, so much so that I went and bought a brand new 594 SC semi hollow a week ago, thinking that it would be so much better. Well, if it is, it's marginal, but I only want to keep one solid body guitar and I bought a Fano from @brucegill which is ace, so I'm sort of sorted. For now, obvs. Until tomorrow.

I placed the ad on eBay just before the £1 offer closed, but I didn't put a pic or any details up there until today, because I genuinely hadn't decided what to do. Still haven't really, but let's have a go and see if anyone wants this beauty. It's in lovely condition, with a few little dents at the back, where I've nibbled it because it's so tasty. Here's a few pics - I thought I'd be arty with one of them 'til I realised that it showed the dust. Let's pretend it's gold sparkle.

I've spent a bit on it, so £1499 on eBay and £1425 on here. Don't give me PayPal and don't see if I'll post it. I will however, as many on here know to their cost, arrange to meet up anywhere and pounce in the darkness from a nearby bush, instrument in hand. Or meet at a service station, the usual notorious dogging areas or at a public convenience of your choice - or I'll deliver it, if the bushes thing worries you.

Oh, and the answer to the question that you might be asking is 'wide fat neck'.  Same as the guitar, as it happens.

Call me Dave.
    1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4700
    edited December 2020
    Ignore.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    And once again I make the mistake of playing something that I'm supposed to be selling. i should know better - it's an exceptional guitar, so I'm withdrawing this while I reconsider. Sorry.
    Call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2020
    Price drop on the Guild from £1962 to £1850, recognising the time of the year, the pandemic effect and, let's be honest... I've seen something that I want to buy. I've had an offer on eBay, but it involves a part-ex as well, but I'm more keen on cash. In saying that, if you've got anything that I might like, it's worth a PM.

And as the thing that I wanted has gone, back up to £1962.

More pics showing lacquer cracking etc...

And @beed84 - thanks for the kind Washburn comments on the ES-446 thread. It's a properly nice guitar, resplendent with new bone nut, some pretty intensive fret work and the electrics now sorted, cleaned and overhulaed.

Call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Let's have a Sunday bump for the Washburn - I'm wavering a lot on the Guild.

I may even post the Washburn.   :#

New bone nut, a vigorous fret dress, set up, etc - a 40 year old Japanese (probably Matsumoko unless anyone knows different) - hell, even the f-holes are bound, and you don't get that with an ES-175!

Possible trades, I dunno - that would mean me parting with cash, which I'm developing an allergy to, but you never know.
    Call me Dave.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • That Guild is making me forget about my upcoming home renovations... oft! 
    Hey @mattblair - you can always put the home renovations back a bit.  :)

It's away again being fettled by a superb  tech after its recent work - I do want to make sure that everything is spot on.

I know I said that I didn't want to post, but I also don't want to swim across, so will give my fullest consideration to the option!

Call me Dave.