Montys "ageing wax" snake oil? or good ?

What's Hot

Comments

• elstoofelstoof Frets: 2513
    Looks like it did a bit of a job, nice
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • So I decided to keep the instrument food, and just used in on my JMJ Mustang bass that was already a nice colour, but the board looked dry and dusty even after I'd used Fender's Fretboard Remedy on it a few months ago. Worked nicely to bring it a bit more alive.

Any chance I could also join the travelling wax club? I'd be happy to send a pot of Instrument food, which I think is the same product without the dye, on a similar journey for people to try out?
  • ghadghad Frets: 48
    Tin is currently with me - wax is applied and the tin is ready for its onward journey, which I believe is:

1. Nero
    2. Fretfinder
    3. Lebarque
    4. Willo
    5. ghad
    6. jdbwales
    7. Downsman

Mr Wales I'll PM you.
    edited November 2023
    ghad said:
    BigPaulie said:
    nero1701 said:
    elstoof said:
    I probably won’t use my tin again and there’s plenty left so let me know if anyone wants to give it a try

Oh, me please
    This tin should go on tour so we can see how many Fretboarders' guitars it can treat.
    I would love a go please. I'll bung a 5er to charity too. Is there a TFB charity of choice?
    Made good on my promise: 

https://imgur.com/a/WdfDyej
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • nero1701nero1701 Frets: 1458
    I sent a blob in a baggie to @giomaiele also.
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11931
    nero1701 said:
    Let's hope the package doesn't split open in transit.  Might given someone a nasty surprise.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3888
    Offset said:
    nero1701 said:
    Let's hope the package doesn't split open in transit.  Might given someone a nasty surprise.
    Ha. Or a knock on the door from the boys in blue if they think it's cannabis!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • If there is any left after its travels could I please be added to the list, happy to make a donation etc. put some stuff up on paying it forward. 
  • I have a classic vibe jaguar I wouldn't mind trying this on.

Add my name to the list and I'll drop a few quid into the local hospice collection bucket (or make a donation to tFBs charity of choice)
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11894
    Downsman said:
    So I decided to keep the instrument food, and just used in on my JMJ Mustang bass that was already a nice colour, but the board looked dry and dusty even after I'd used Fender's Fretboard Remedy on it a few months ago. Worked nicely to bring it a bit more alive.

Any chance I could also join the travelling wax club? I'd be happy to send a pot of Instrument food, which I think is the same product without the dye, on a similar journey for people to try out?
    I have the normal one too, I was going to get the espresso one but my boards don't need to be darken and the regular one is nice, I even put it on the wooden accent on my coffee grinder.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I have the normal one too, I was going to get the espresso one but my boards don't need to be darken and the regular one is nice, I even put it on the wooden accent on my coffee grinder
    Nice one. I'm finding this waxing business kind of addictive. I've done 4 fretboards now with the instrument food and it's really helped bring them all to life. Kind of glad I made that ordering mistake. I do still want to try the Montypresso, though, as I have a Jag and a Road Worn Strat that have very light orangey, dry looking, PF boards. The Jag's has a nice grain and as it isn't trying to pass for vintage I'm tempted to just put the instrument food on it. But it's bugged me having a road worn strat with a PF board. Not because it looks bad, but just because they weren't using PF back in the 60s, so it jars with the road worn bits. For me at least. And yes, I know there are many people who feel the road worn bits themselves are the problem :)
  • He should sell smaller pots, as proven by this one pot travelling to more parts of the UK than most people have.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11894
    He should sell smaller pots, as proven by this one pot travelling to more parts of the UK than most people have.
    I think this is his "smaller" pot, I remember he used to sell it in a branded mug.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    It's been great to be part of this TFB experiment! This experience has brought the community to life for me. The wax now makes its onward 272 mile journey to Downsman from me in West Yorkshire. Would be interesting to figure out the mileage on this tin!

Anyway, I liberally applied the stuff per the instructions, but left it on for almost a week. I am very satisfied with the result. I'm accustomed to the finish you get from Dunlop lemon oil having used that stuff for most of by guitaring life. I think I am now a convert to Monty's, and will probably use the instrument food going forwards.

I'll let the results speak for themselves:

Before

After

Before

After

I certainly notice the difference. Happy days!
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2513
    Nice one, looks great. How much of the tin have we used so far?
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23027
    This thread keeps on keeping on, doesn't it?  Eventually I'll be tempted to buy some of this stuff.  Anyone tried it on their shoes?
  • Those pics look great. Was that a laurel fingerboard? Looking forward to getting the tin. Ghad you mentioned you've used Lemon Oil before, did you try and remove any of that first, or just put the Monty's over top? I've used Fender's Fingerboard Remedy on mine before, and don't know if that would stop the Monty's from working?

I'll take some before and after shots as well. Just looked at the list and did we skip Jdbwales? If not then I think Woodandwire will be next? 
  • I have two Les Paul necks to do when it’s my turn, who do I send my address to?
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 707
    Does it stay put when on? Doesn't stain your fingers while playing or anything? 
  • i had a top tip from a luthier that Briwax 400g Original Dark Oak does the same exact thing and one tin has lasted him 20 years!
    https://www.gbmusic.co.uk/

PA Hire and Event Management
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom