Montys "ageing wax" snake oil? or good ?

What's Hot

Comments

• ghadghad Frets: 48
    Downsman said:
    Those pics look great. Was that a laurel fingerboard? Looking forward to getting the tin. Ghad you mentioned you've used Lemon Oil before, did you try and remove any of that first, or just put the Monty's over top? I've used Fender's Fingerboard Remedy on mine before, and don't know if that would stop the Monty's from working?

I'll take some before and after shots as well. Just looked at the list and did we skip Jdbwales? If not then I think Woodandwire will be next? 
    It's a rosewood board actually but a fairly pale one with some dark streaks. The wax has increased the richness of the dark areas and darkened the lighter areas a little.

I didn't use naptha to clean the board beforehand (as is recommended) but I did thoroughly wipe it down with an old towel. Cleaning the board as suggested may yield even better results.

The list as things stand:

1. Nero
    2. Fretfinder
    3. Lebarque
    4. Willo
    5. ghad
    6. jdbwales (Withdrawn)
    7. Downsman
    8. Woodandwires
    9. YellowLedBetterMan
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3888
    Kurtis said:
    Does it stay put when on? Doesn't stain your fingers while playing or anything? 
    No problem with that from my experience. Just make sure you wipe it off thoroughly (which is a ball ache).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7527
    This is probably very dumb but the question is in my head so I’ll let it leak out: would shoe polish work to darken a fretboard? (To gently stain the wood I mean, not as a ‘do it frequently like you do with your shoes’) 
    Red ones are better. 
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2513
    edited December 2023
    I’ve used shoe polish to darken fretboards. It’s basically similar stuff except shoe polish contains some volatile thinners to allow the wax to penetrate while Monty’s doesn’t seem to, just beeswax with a little oil to soften it. The process it the same, pigment suspended in a wax compound that deposits around the wood fibres on application
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Lebarque said:
    Kurtis said:
    No problem with that from my experience. Just make sure you wipe it off thoroughly (which is a ball ache).
    If you just used a rag it might not hurt so much!
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7527
    Lebarque said:
    Kurtis said:
    If you just used a rag it might not hurt so much!
    genuine actual LOL 
    Red ones are better. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ghad said:
    Downsman said:
    Those pics look great. Was that a laurel fingerboard? Looking forward to getting the tin. Ghad you mentioned you've used Lemon Oil before, did you try and remove any of that first, or just put the Monty's over top? I've used Fender's Fingerboard Remedy on mine before, and don't know if that would stop the Monty's from working?

I'll take some before and after shots as well. Just looked at the list and did we skip Jdbwales? If not then I think Woodandwire will be next? 
    It's a rosewood board actually but a fairly pale one with some dark streaks. The wax has increased the richness of the dark areas and darkened the lighter areas a little.

I didn't use naptha to clean the board beforehand (as is recommended) but I did thoroughly wipe it down with an old towel. Cleaning the board as suggested may yield even better results.

The list as things stand:

1. Nero
    2. Fretfinder
    3. Lebarque
    4. Willo
    5. ghad
    6. jdbwales (Withdrawn)
    7. Downsman
    8. Woodandwires
    9. YellowLedBetterMan
    If there's any left after all you guys have used it, could you please add me to the list?
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7358
    edited December 2023
    Nope, not for me thanks.  I'll stick to boiled linseed oil.  I've also found that the St. Michael waterproofing wax sold for reproofing Barbour waxed cotton jackets (bought about 35 years ago when I wore one to go fishing), works very well and it wouldn't surprise me if the ingredients are not dissimilar (beeswax, paraffin wax and boiled linseed oil).
  • TimmyO said:
    This is probably very dumb but the question is in my head so I’ll let it leak out: would shoe polish work to darken a fretboard? (To gently stain the wood I mean, not as a ‘do it frequently like you do with your shoes’) 
    I did some fretwork on an Epi Les Paul recently and the same question popped into my head and I had to try it. I only used a tiny bit of black polish (all I had!) mixed with some Jim Dunlop fretboard oil. The results were visually pleasing and did not stain my fingers (I did only use a tiny bit as I said). However, I don’t think it’s an ideal composition for applying to fretboards, even when mixed/dissolved in oil. I will probably buy a tin of Monty’s at some point.
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 700
    BillDL said:
    Nope, not for me thanks.  I'll stick to boiled linseed oil.  I've also found that the St. Michael waterproofing wax sold for reproofing Barbour waxed cotton jackets (bought about 35 years ago when I wore one to go fishing), works very well and it wouldn't surprise me if the ingredients are not dissimilar (beeswax, paraffin wax and boiled linseed oil).

I don't put anything on my fretboard but I did buy a nice little wooden box from a charity shop recently to put my picks and cappo etc. in.
    It was pretty dry and washed out looking so I rubbed a little 3 in 1 oil on it. Worked perfectly well. A little smelly at first but I didn't mind that.

I wonder if putting lemon oil and other cleaning products on might be what is causing it to get dried out and "bleached" to begin with? 
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7358
    Depends what "other cleaning products" are used.  Any kind of spirit, solvent or detergent is likely to remove some of the existing natural wood oils or residues from previous applications of oil or wax.  Lemon oil infers that it has the oil of citrus fruit in it, which is actually a solvent and would not be good for fretboards, but it's just mineral oil with a lemon scent.
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 700
    BillDL said:
    Depends what "other cleaning products" are used.  Any kind of spirit, solvent or detergent is likely to remove some of the existing natural wood oils or residues from previous applications of oil or wax.  Lemon oil infers that it has the oil of citrus fruit in it, which is actually a solvent and would not be good for fretboards, but it's just mineral oil with a lemon scent.
    Ah, didn't know that about the lemon oil. 

• TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10265
    I've used this on two guitars.

I have excellent success with a CS Strat and negligible success with an old one. 50/50 for me. 
  • So, I am the current recipient of the wax, many thanks @Downsman for posting it on to me, much appreciated. Today I applied some of it to the fretboard of one of my Les Paul’s, I am currently still letting it dry before buffing tomorrow, but I have to say so far I am super impressed, the previously slightly pale looking board, now resembles a rich chocolate colour. I have a before photo and will take an after photo also tomorrow. Then I will do the other guitar and post on by the weekend. I was really sceptical when this item was posted about originally, fourteen pages ago and my thanks go out to the continued generous nature of this forum for allowing me to try it and having my mind changed.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WoodandwiresWoodandwires Frets: 195
    edited December 2023
    Further update, I am ready to post on to the next lucky recipient, I have contacted @YellowLedBetterMan who was next/last on the list, but he doesn’t want it until after the NewYear. Is there anyone else who wants it or do I post it back to the original owner? Any advice gratefully received. Alternatively, I can hold on to it until @YellowLedBetterMan lets me know when he wants it.
  • i had a top tip from a luthier that Briwax 400g Original Dark Oak does the same exact thing and one tin has lasted him 20 years!
    Ha my trusted luthier uses and said the same thing to me lol 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • Further update, I am ready to post on to the next lucky recipient, I have contacted @YellowLedBetterMan who was next/last on the list, but he doesn’t want it until after the NewYear. Is there anyone else who wants it or do I post it back to the original owner? Any advice gratefully received. Alternatively, I can hold on to it until @YellowLedBetterMan lets me know when he wants it.
    @Woodandwires ;I think I might be next on the list (see above comment on 1st December), but I'm happy to wait for @YellowLedBetterMan man to use it after Christmas. I'm going to use it on a 12 string, and the strings are pretty new. Got a couple of gigs to do over the holiday too.
  • Hi @ElectricXII please pm me your details and I will post this weekend
  • Feel free to hop ahead of me guys, I'm away until the new year.
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
  • @YellowLedBetterMan Thanks, I'll try to use it before the New Year if I can. 

@Woodandwires I've PM'd you my address.

I appreciate it guys. Have a great Festive Season if you can!