Montys "ageing wax" snake oil? or good ?

What's Hot

Comments

• Mike58Mike58 Frets: 162
    i had a top tip from a luthier that Briwax 400g Original Dark Oak does the same exact thing and one tin has lasted him 20 years!
    Ha my trusted luthier uses and said the same thing to me lol 
    Cheap here
    https://www.dunelm.com/product/briwax-400g-original-dark-oak-1000188611
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9632
    edited February 10
    Well, I bought a pot last week and it arrived on Friday. I have a few guitars that may benefit, but top of the list was my Squier Classic Vibe Jazz Bass - one of the earlier Chinese ones and the specs of these say the fretboard is rosewood. Mine has streaks of lighter and darker wood. I cleaned it with isopropanol (I didn’t have lighter fluid but IPA is a pretty good solvent) - pretty sure that the last time I applied any oil to it was about ten years ago anyway! I then applied a first coat and rubbed it off after five hours. There was a noticeable difference, so I applied another three coats, buffing most off before applying the next and letting it sit. All in all, the wax sat on the board for around six hours.

https://i.imgur.com/eVyA5Gn.jpg

I would definitely say that it’s worth doing, although I’m sure some pieces of wood will take it better than others. In the flesh it looks much better than the comparison photos.

https://i.imgur.com/u1khfrr.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • nero1701nero1701 Frets: 1424
    So, how far did the tin get guys?

• fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5041
    i had a top tip from a luthier that Briwax 400g Original Dark Oak does the same exact thing and one tin has lasted him 20 years!
    Your luthier uses and yet you still trust him?!  ;)  :o
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • inewhaminewham Frets: 138
    A word of caution on the dubbin, it often contains neatsfoot oil which can get smelly when the weather warms up.
    ( I used  neatsfoot on my bike leathers as a youth, it made them waterproof in winter but they smelled like rancid lard by the summer )

Ian
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Oh I have a pot of this. I used it on my H-535 the other day, kept it on overnight. I don't have a photo but was a little pale and sad looking before. It looks much healthier now, moisturised

• ReverendReverend Frets: 5001
    nero1701 said:
    So, how far did the tin get guys?

I have finished using it. Who is next?
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12368
    Could I have a try @Reverend, although I'm not sure what the deal is?
  • nero1701nero1701 Frets: 1424
    munckee said:
    Could I have a try @Reverend, although I'm not sure what the deal is?
    use it, do a neck or 2 and then send it to the next in line, or the next person to ask for it.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10449
    tFB Trader
    inewham said:
    A word of caution on the dubbin, it often contains neatsfoot oil which can get smelly when the weather warms up.
    ( I used  neatsfoot on my bike leathers as a youth, it made them waterproof in winter but they smelled like rancid lard by the summer )
    The brand I showed contains no neatsfoot
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22874
    I stumbled on this video the other day.  The guy uses an absolutely ridiculous amount of wax, which for some reason made me feel quite queasy.  It also made me distrust any other advice which may be given on his channel.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12368
    Received thanks @Reverend I will give it a go on my pau ferro jazzmaster fretboard and post the results!
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    edited March 28
    Your luthier uses and yet you still trust him?!    o
    Yep. He’s the most talented luthier I’ve ever met. A great player too so he knows what’s real and what is snake oil etc 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 843
    Philly_Q said:
    I stumbled on this video the other day.  The guy uses an absolutely ridiculous amount of wax, which for some reason made me feel quite queasy.  It also made me distrust any other advice which may be given on his channel.

This still is actually really really good.  Its bees wax with a few other natural ingredients.   REsult is better than lemon oil for sure.

Mick (TPS) uses it - so I was perfectly happy to try it.  Wouldnt use the OP version though personally, but my boards dont need darkening. 
  • Tele37Tele37 Frets: 28
    edited March 29
    I was under the impression that using wax on a fingerboard is a bad idea as it can repel glue, so if it gets under the frets and in to the fret slots you have problems later on with re-fretting / repairs.

I could be wrong, so can any luthiers chip in here with advice?

@felineguitars?

Thanks!
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 918
    AFAIK frets aren’t normally glued in (unless you have a Parker Fly)?
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2481
    Wax doesn’t penetrate, it’s too solid for capillary action so so t get anywhere near your feet tangs
  • Tele37Tele37 Frets: 28
    edited March 29
    drwiddly said:
    Yeah, loads of manufactures do it, it seems. I know PRS, Suhr, and most luthiers glue frets in.
    elstoof said:
    Wax doesn’t penetrate, it’s too solid for capillary action so so t get anywhere near your feet tangs
    I think the instrument food is much thinner than regular beeswax, it can definitely get under the frets, especially if they aren’t perfectly seated. Also, what about fingerboard repairs?
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 843
    Tele37 said:
    drwiddly said:
    Yeah, loads of manufactures do it, it seems. I know PRS, Suhr, and most luthiers glue frets in.
    elstoof said:
    I think the instrument good is much thinner than regular beeswax, it can definitely get under the frets, especially if they aren’t perfectly seated. Also, what about fingerboard repairs?
    Fwiw, I've used this on my PRS, and I'm collecting it tomorrow after a refret.   Didn't seem to be a problem for the Luther.
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1852
    inewham said:
    I still use Dubbin on my football boots as I referee most weekends and those boots (adidas copa mundial) are almost 20 years old.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom