Comments

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7032
    tFB Trader
    That's looking really nice, the repair is barely visible
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    davros said:
    Another good save!

I think that a sparkle top would be the ideal way to avoid any sinkage around the patch repair.
    I'd bloody love a sparkle top on this, a gorgeous turquoise blue like the Jazzmaster on Rexter's Facebook feed, but it's not something I can do myself and I just can't justify the considerable cost to sub it out.

https://m.facebook.com/rexterguitars/photos/a.502141970250294/827910131006808/?type=3&source=54

The wife says I have too many blue guitars, so it's looking like Dakota Red nitro I think.
    Yes you can do it!... and with rattle cans!...

B&Q do a clear acrylic with glitter in it!!!!!!

primer, base coat (any colour you want), sparkle clear and then clear top coat...
  • davrosdavros Frets: 1334
    edited December 2020
    Hmmm, interesting. I've had terrible failures the 2 times I've used acrylic / halfords car paint, it's never hardened properly. Last year I replaced a body i sprayed 20 years ago and stuck it on a shelf. The paint became indented by the shelf and the grain of its wood!

I'm a convert to your nitro, Steve and very reluctant to use anything else!
    The b&q acrylic will take a while to go off... but you can go over the top with Steve’s stuff no problem... 

steves colour, b&q sparkle, Steve’s clear... sorted!
    Minor update today.

Routed for binding using my overhead jig and a lovely new down cutting bit from wealden. I'm planning to use 2mm thick binding but until I have it in my hands I've routed this pass to 1.5mm which is more readily available. I ordered the binding from Eurospruce on 20th December and heard nothing since, despite emailing. In frustration I've ordered some from Hong Kong, due 20th January. I wonder which will arrive first!

After receiving a lovely pax fret saw I've deepened the slots and fretted the neck.

I've also partly carved the neck joint. The rest will have to wait until the neck is glued...which can't happen until the body is bound.

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • That neck joint is superb! 
    Thanks Slash... It needs some more refining but feels comfy.

Binding has arrived, channel cut and currently wrestling it around the horn with the help of a heat gun.

Should have some pics tomorrow
    edited January 2021
    Binding is on, making progress again!

I think next time will be a lot easier, but I found getting it to bend around the horn a challenge. There's a fine balance between too much heat and not enough.

Used UHU hart glue and 3M fiberglass tape. Both worked really well, would definitely use them again.

I went full height in the cutaway rather than curving up amd exposing the maple cap. I think it looks a lot tidier.

Looks a bit ropey to start with but after scraping it down to be level with the body, it looks pretty awesome!

Mostly a really tight join. Just a couple of small gaps around the horn. I've ordered some acetone to make some filler gunk with binding offcuts. Hopefully, that'll make them disappear.

I've now glued in the neck and started to refine the heel carve. More pics soon.
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2021
    The neck is now fitted and (luckily) perfectly aligned. I've also finished off the routing - bridge pickup and backplates - and refined the neck joint carve.

I've just added some filler to the small gaps in the binding. This is just some binding offcuts dissolved in acetone. I'm just waiting for it to harden so it looks a bit blobby in the picture. I'll scrape it flush tomorrow.

I've fitted the bridge using the same method as my DC build. I was surprised by how straight it ended up but the intonation on the two E strings is bang on.

Next on the list are drilling for the switch and pots, finish sanding then onto finishing!

I've decided I'm using nitro, with a natural back, but not fully settled on the top finish. Needs to be a solid colour and I'm afraid I'm not convinced by the diy sparkle suggestions above - I think it has to be normal metallic or full on flake, the spray can sparkle isn't doing it for me.

So, at the moment I'm leaning towards Dakota Red. I like Pelham Blue but already have too many blue guitars!

0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    Looking good!
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    Nice job!
    Looking cracking...

candy apple red would look good!!!!
  • MattNovakMattNovak Frets: 907
    Looks great! I think Rothko and Frost do an Oxblood nitro which would look nice with a natural back and sides (just in my opinion of course)
    www.theflyingacesband.com
    Hmm, candy apple red or oxblood. Got me thinking now!
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16686
    MattNovak said:
    Looks great! I think Rothko and Frost do an Oxblood nitro which would look nice with a natural back and sides (just in my opinion of course)
    I did that on my first one.   Looked very black.  Not just dark oxblood but actual black.

I was happy with that because a blacktop LP is a very good thing indeed
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Looking great!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

Aside from final sanding and finishing (and getting pots delivered), it's pretty much finished. I soldered the bridge pickup to the jack and gave it a spin this morning. Very happy with the sound, quite woody - definitely leaning toward a 335 - not surprising given the huge chambers.

Happily it also balances perfectly, I was a bit worried it might be neck heavy.

So, now I need to order the paint. Below are some mockups - what does the wisdom of tFB say?

• PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1481
    I think it would look good in Inca Silver.  Sort of like a Goldtop, but different.
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    Gold Top vote from me
  • benvallbenvall Frets: 83
    That is a hard choice. I think either gold, blue or CAR.