Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Overused and abused words

What's Hot

Comments

• Cranky said:
    Not because I'm American -- in fact, I identify as trans-national non-binary.  
    The fact you're American prohibits any of us from thinking this is a joke.

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StavrosStavros Frets: 337
    Jetfire said:
    “These toilets are regularly inspected by the management.”

Are they fuck.
    I say "Are they fuck" all the time but as phrase, its a car crash.

I reckon 'fuck' should be exempt from any grammatical intervention. Equally as pleasing to my ear are - "The fuck they are", "For fuck's sake" or just a pared down, "Fuck off".
    “Feck” is better I reckon.
    I love my brick
  • kaypeejay said:
    boogieman said:
    Cranky said:
    boogieman said:
    phil_b said:
    very annoying Americanisms that seem fine when used by an American but

stepping up to the plate

construction   

the fall

trash

Add lumber to that list. It’s timber... you don’t get Lumber Wolves do you?

And it’s a garden, not a yard. A yard is a concreted area. 

I always wondered where we got the word "yard" from.  What do you in England call what Americans refer to as a garden -- aka a dedicated spot for growing food or flowers?

Also, doesn't timber become lumber?  I think my Canadian friends agree with me, at least.  Maybe the English should be more discriminating in this case, so that when someone says "fetch me some timber" you don't make the mistake of trekking out to the woods instead of driving to the local lumber yard.
    Ok well I’m just going by the language my brother in law and his family use (Floridians and New Yorkers, if that makes any difference?). They call their front and back garden the front/back yard, whereas it’s just a front/back garden here. Yard does seem an odd choice, I presume it’s come down through dialect that was adopted or maybe from a mistranslation somewhere along the line?

As far as I’m concerned a tree is still a tree till it’s felled. Then it’s wood. When it’s planed, squared up and ready for use in building jobs or diy, then it’s timber. 

What is it they say? Two nations divided by a common language.  ;)
    Yard or backyard or frontyard are more examples of British English that fell out of favour  in the UK and we went all French ( jardin got corrupted to garden). Yard is also still used in Australia and the West Indies ( where it encompasses the whole property) so it's really the British who went in a different direction. Yard and backyard continued in British English for an uncultivated area. If, for example, you look at the remaining back to back houses in Birmingham that were built in the 19th century they are described as having a yard - a small paved area at the rear of the property leading to the outside toilet.    
    Yard is from the anglo saxon ( from what I can google ) geard which means something like home or piece of land, shares the same origins as the word yard meaning 36" but calling your property your yard doesn't originate with the measurement. 
    Back to backs can’t have a yard at the rear of the property can they. Rows of terraces often have yards, particularly in Yorkshire, normally back yards as the front opens onto the street. 
     Yes, I can say with certainty that the term 'backyard' has never left useage in the North East UK.
    It refers to a paved, concreted or hard surfaced area to the rear of a property. A garden (front or back) is a place where grass or plants may be grown in soil.
    And the outside toilet was locally a 'netty', the old one in my backyard is now a tool store 
    When we moved into our titchy Victorian two bed house, I was told the rear outside space (all six foot of it) was known as a ‘line yard’.
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2630
    Cranky said:
    Not because I'm American -- in fact, I identify as trans-national non-binary.  
    The fact you're American prohibits any of us from thinking this is a joke.
    We are in a post-humor world.  Literally. It's like so epic.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Stavros said:
    Jetfire said:
    “These toilets are regularly inspected by the management.”

Are they fuck.
    I say "Are they fuck" all the time but as phrase, its a car crash.

I reckon 'fuck' should be exempt from any grammatical intervention. Equally as pleasing to my ear are - "The fuck they are", "For fuck's sake" or just a pared down, "Fuck off".
    “Feck” is better I reckon.
    Nah. Would you rather be fuckless or feckless?
    HAL9000 said:
    Adding the suffix -gate to anything with even the slightest whiff of a scandal.
    True.  Like Watergategate.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137

'Feck' is a corruption of the correct spelling, popularised by Father Ted and as such has no place in the English language. 

Some words are sancrosanct: Fuck is one of them.

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18895

'Feck' is a corruption of the correct spelling, popularised by Father Ted and as such has no place in the English language. 

Popularised by Father Ted undoubtedly, but has been around in use for a fair while  ;)
     https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feck
    https://reviewsnthings.livejournal.com/990.html
  • randellarandella Frets: 4221

'Bollocks' is another. Such a versatile word, fun for all ages!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    Great bit of kit..... fck off  your talking about a spoon ffs
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    Draft saved
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137

Popularised by Father Ted undoubtedly, but has been around in use for a fair while  ;)
     https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feck
    https://reviewsnthings.livejournal.com/990.html

Indeed it has!

• phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
    bromance

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16128
    Topical Americanism..............The Holidays are coming.....meaning Christmas is coming
                                                      Happy Holidays.................. meaning Happy Christmas
     We wish you a merry holiday and a happy new year ................doesn't have the same feel
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Why is the spelling of scone not just amended to "scon"? problem solved.

• Probably not widely used and I’ve nothing against Guide Dogs for the Blind but their use of the word pupdates hits a nerve for some reason. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18895
    Dissect.
    Snakes hiss, animals piss, people kiss. The hint is described in the double 's'.
    I did what were known as dissections back in the 1970s & 80's... so how the fuck can it ever have become pronounced die-sect (dye sect etc.)??   
  • Dominic said:
    Topical Americanism..............The Holidays are coming.....meaning Christmas is coming
     We wish you a merry holiday and a happy new year ................doesn't have the same feel

Is it not just to include non Christians?
    Dominic said:

Is it not just to include non Christians?
    Yes.  A nice effort in our polyglot country, I think.  And it drives our "Religious Right" crazy, they call it "the war on Christmas".
    Probably not widely used and I’ve nothing against Guide Dogs for the Blind but their use of the word pupdates hits a nerve for some reason. 
    As it should.  I'll add "pet parent" and "fur baby" to this.