Overused and abused words

What's Hot

Comments

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18769
    zepp76 said:
    Haych said:
    p90fool said:
    Haych said:
    Oh, one word that I have unfortunately been introduced to, and hear far too often, since entering the world of motorcycling; farkle(s)/farkling!

Honestly, what the actual fudge?

The first time I heard the word I had to look it up - whether it's a real word is debatable but its use seems exclusive to the motorcycle fraternity.  Also, the first time I heard it I swore that if I ever used it in conversation I would ride my motorcycle to Marsh Farm, leave the keys in the ignition and volunteer for a mugging.
    I've never heard that in four decades of biking, what does it mean? 
    The meaning as taken from a motorcycling publication:

Farkle (n): A modification to a motorcycle that satisfies the following criteria: creates “bling,” serves a purpose (the usefulness of which is in the eyes of the farkler) and is most likely expensive. Often used among touring riders to denote or convey status amongst their peers. Ex: “I picked up a new farkle for my ST today: a GPS-based burger joint locator!” (v): To farkle; to accessorize one’s motorcycle with farkles. Ex: “Boy, John really farkled out his K1300GT; it’s even got a cup holder!”
    I’m the same as @p90fool I’ve never heard of the term! I had to look it up because I thought you were pulling our leg!

https://ridermagazine.com/2017/02/01/what-the-heck-is-a-farkle/

apparently started with a Honda riding group, “you meet the nicest people on a Honda”.

I suppose it’s no different to me bunging a doohickey on the bike?
    I'm another that has never heard of it (thankfully).
    I asked my mates too, I won't repeat what they said but it wasn't polite or positive.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    All of the above thread..

to add

Americans - me either. No, it's me neither. That is just thick

At the end of the day - total nonsense

Leverage

Period, instead of full stop. Nope, that's the end of that, full stop, not period.

Pronouncing schedule incorrectly - it is not skedule, not on these shores.

Lartay instead of latte - it's Italian, has a hard "a", stop talking like a ponce, you ponce. Besides, get a proper coffee.

Deep dive - no. Not at all.

People who say "etc" - I mean who says that? As in "yes, we need to leverage the data etc". 

People who pronounce "t" as a "D" as in, let's pardee, let's have a look at the dayda (instead of data). 

Generally, British people using any Americanism. Makes me cringe a bit, can't help but think "try hard".

Use of the word "drop" to describe a new release - yah, the new Thundercat track dropped today, let's pardee

Saying "merch" instead of merchandise. - yah, let's have a look at what new merch dropped this week, let's have a pardee

Optics - yah, the optics on this have changed significantly over the last quarder, let's have a pardee

Lens - yah, we need a new lens on this as the optics have changed significantly over the last quarder, I think it's too early to call it, bedder nod have a pardee.

I'm not gonna lie - well, thanks for that.

I'm too long in the tooth (is that an annoying phrase?) for all this crap, find it hard to put up with really.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31590
    Haych said:
    p90fool said:
    Haych said:
    Oh, one word that I have unfortunately been introduced to, and hear far too often, since entering the world of motorcycling; farkle(s)/farkling!

Honestly, what the actual fudge?

The first time I heard the word I had to look it up - whether it's a real word is debatable but its use seems exclusive to the motorcycle fraternity.  Also, the first time I heard it I swore that if I ever used it in conversation I would ride my motorcycle to Marsh Farm, leave the keys in the ignition and volunteer for a mugging.
    I've never heard that in four decades of biking, what does it mean? 
    The meaning as taken from a motorcycling publication:

Farkle (n): A modification to a motorcycle that satisfies the following criteria: creates “bling,” serves a purpose (the usefulness of which is in the eyes of the farkler) and is most likely expensive. Often used among touring riders to denote or convey status amongst their peers. Ex: “I picked up a new farkle for my ST today: a GPS-based burger joint locator!” (v): To farkle; to accessorize one’s motorcycle with farkles. Ex: “Boy, John really farkled out his K1300GT; it’s even got a cup holder!”
    Ah, that accounts for why I've never heard of it, I don't really move in those circles. My idea of customising a bike is to unbolt things and throw them in the bin.
    :)
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    edited December 2020

Some of you guys really need to chillax! 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11449
    MrTee said:
    Literally is literally overused
    Had a Facetime with my sister and she asked her 6 year old "What's your favourite word?'

"Literally"

Although she pronounced is perfectly in a cute way but inside I put my palm to my head.

"Literally" makes me think of this:

• Not too much actually bothers me really, I quite like that language changes over time and new phrases/words come into use. I do sometimes smirk inwardly when I hear people misusing words though... although I try not to correct them unless I'm in a bad mood :lol:

This thread is reminding me of a friend though, he was the bass player in the last band I was in, and he had a really deep abiding hatred of all the identikit metalcore bands we always used to end up gigging with. It was a source of constant amusement to he and I both when, talking to them afterwards he would tell them they were "amazing", which they would always take as a compliment - which was pretty much the polar opposite of how he meant it :)
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15962

closure.........

an abundance of caution.....
    tae be or not tae be
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
    An Americanism which really irritates me -

"stedda"  used instead of instead of.

:#
  • Cranky said:
    When I ask someone "what's up" and they say "the sky" or "the ceiling." It's neither funny nor clever. Are you trying to make me not want to strike up a conversation with you ever again? Or, is "what's up" itself an overused thing?
    What's the actual answer to "What's Up" then? Because I usually just stare at the person to make it really awkward as punishment for them using a question with no apparent answer
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • HAL9000 said:
    “Can I get”.

No, you can’t “get” anything, you brain-dead moron, the person with whom you’re attempting to communicate will do that for you. Really grinds my gears.

I tend to agree. However, it depends if you’re using get to mean fetch or to mean acquire
    Or to become
  • Not too much actually bothers me really, I quite like that language changes over time and new phrases/words come into use. I do sometimes smirk inwardly when I hear people misusing words though... although I try not to correct them unless I'm in a bad mood :lol:

This thread is reminding me of a friend though, he was the bass player in the last band I was in, and he had a really deep abiding hatred of all the identikit metalcore bands we always used to end up gigging with. It was a source of constant amusement to he and I both when, talking to them afterwards he would tell them they were "amazing", which they would always take as a compliment - which was pretty much the polar opposite of how he meant it :)
    Yes, there definitely needs to be a middle ground.

I head up a publishing team where I have to train the new (and often youngish) recruits to respect formal correspondence whilst being contemporary/current.

I am probably in danger of being seen as an old and pedantic git ! My get out is that if you start high, you can always dumb it down later.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2630
    Cranky said:
    When I ask someone "what's up" and they say "the sky" or "the ceiling." It's neither funny nor clever. Are you trying to make me not want to strike up a conversation with you ever again? Or, is "what's up" itself an overused thing?
    What's the actual answer to "What's Up" then? Because I usually just stare at the person to make it really awkward as punishment for them using a question with no apparent answer
    The "apparent" answer to the question "what's up [with you]" or "what's up [in the air]" (speaking in the subjunctive) is contingent upon what the responder has been up to lately or is currently concerned with.

Are you a fish, a simpleton, a neanderthal to just stare at a  person who's just shown interest in your current interest and activity?
  • Cranky said:
    Cranky said:
    The "apparent" answer to the question "what's up [with you]" or "what's up [in the air]" (speaking in the subjunctive) is contingent upon what the responder has been up to lately or is currently concerned with.

Are you a fish, a simpleton, a neanderthal to just stare at a  person who's just shown interest in your current interest and activity?
    I just don't like people, mostly. But I've found any answer given to that largely causes confusion in much the same way as an honest answer to "how are you" does really. And similarly to that, I feel both are redundant as they are mostly not genuine and are only said out of necessity, I find the best most genuine greeting is a simple hello with or without a smile as appropriate, rather than feigning interest in what washing up I've just been doing, or what is on my shopping list from the Co Op.

I'm what's known as a ray of effing sunshine
  • yockyyocky Frets: 809
    And while we're on the subject, the use of multiple exclamation or question marks!!!!!!!

Why??????

This really gets my goat, the question mark thing. One QM indicates a question obviously, multiple QMs seem to indicate that something utterly incomprehensible has been said before or that the question has been asked already but not answered. Rarely the case. Punctuation melodrama.

He said, not over thinking this at all.
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
    very annoying Americanisms that seem fine when used by an American but

stepping up to the plate

construction   

the fall

trash

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12365
    phil_b said:

stepping up to the plate

construction   

the fall

trash

Add lumber to that list. It’s timber... you don’t get Lumber Wolves do you?

And it’s a garden, not a yard. A yard is a concreted area. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1796
    This thread is EPIC
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PabcranePabcrane Frets: 489
    There's a few discriptors that are used in political discourse which shit me right up the wall, such as:

'virtue signaller'
    'do-gooder'
    'social justice warrior'

Of course there's always 'tragic' to describe something sad - Frank lays this out in Educating Rita.

And another one (mentioned earlier) is 'can' instead of 'may', as in 'Can I have a cup of tea' - not if I break your fingers you fucking cretin!
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2630
    phil_b said:

stepping up to the plate

construction   

the fall

trash

The first is a baseball reference, obviously out of place in Britain.  And then what, you only have garbage there, not trash?

But what's the deal with "construction" and "the fall"?  Especially the latter, it's my favorite Camus and he's French.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18769
    edited December 2020
    ^  I believe that Camus title had more to do with grace than gravity & leaves 
    PS I find the American phrase 'the fall' very evocative & descriptive.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom