Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Overused and abused words

What's Hot

Comments

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18917
    Cranky said:
    Probably not widely used and I’ve nothing against Guide Dogs for the Blind but their use of the word pupdates hits a nerve for some reason. 
    As it should.  I'll add "pet parent" and "fur baby" to this.
    Yes, I just gagged a little at these phrases... possibly a fur ball?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11954
    syncretic
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2630
    ^ school, dictionary
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31640
    Dissect.
    Snakes hiss, animals piss, people kiss. The hint is described in the double 's'.
    I did what were known as dissections back in the 1970s & 80's... so how the fuck can it ever have become pronounced die-sect (dye sect etc.)??   
    Because it's like dicing chicken?
    :)
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2630
    p90fool said:
    Dissect.
    Snakes hiss, animals piss, people kiss. The hint is described in the double 's'.
    I did what were known as dissections back in the 1970s & 80's... so how the fuck can it ever have become pronounced die-sect (dye sect etc.)??   
    Because it's like dicing chicken?
    :)
    Wait, so the English pronunciation of "dissect" is different from the American, or it used to be but not anymore?
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31640
    It may have become confused over the years with bisect, which obviously has a different etymology, cutting in two rather than cutting apart. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The most overused phrase in our house for the last 18 months has been "Laura Fu*%king Kuenssberg" 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    Which ones Ant?
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4924
    bobblehat said:
    The most overused phrase in our house for the last 18 months has been "Laura Fu*%king Kuenssberg" 
    Yep, for a long time the Six O'clock News was known here as The Daily Kuenssberg...

• I feel a bit sorry for Laura’s stylist/wardrobe assistant.

She is on the news so much it must be a struggle to know what to put her in. 
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18917
    p90fool said:
    It may have become confused over the years with bisect, which obviously has a different etymology, cutting in two rather than cutting apart. 
    Yes I think it probably is this, or something similar.
    As someone that worked in further education and a University Archaeology department as a biological lab technician, nobody called it die-section. This is just something that has arisen over the last 30 years or so. Still annoying to me when a perfectly adequate pronunciation exists, but these things happen all the time.
     As for dicing, it's because you slice material into uniform squares or dice shapes.
    Which as it refers to a die (as in the die is cast) should probably be die-ing... which could possibly be even more problematic  ;)
  • Rabbit hole.

Are rabbit holes full of fx pedals and rickenbackers?

Is it even a rabbit's "hole" anyway? 
  • PabcranePabcrane Frets: 489
    Rabbit hole.

Are rabbit holes full of fx pedals and rickenbackers?

Is it even a rabbit's "hole" anyway? 
    What do you call a man with six rabbits up his bum?

Warren.
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    You've all been pronouncing microwave wrongly according to Nigella Lawson. 

It should be "mee-crow-wah-vay"  :#

• DominicDominic Frets: 16138
    p90fool said:
    Ah yes , I realise that I'm bisexual
    If I can't get sex I'll buy it 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5407
    StratNut said:
    “Safety is our No.1 priority.”

No, it’s making money,
    A business primarily exists to make money for the shareholders, and there's nothing wrong with that.  I  used to be a senior manager at a company and had a stand-up row with a colleague at a meeting once when he insisted that our company existed "in order to serve the community".  

Funnily enough one of my bugbears is people who hold this to be axiomatic. It's not. A business primarily exists to fulfill the aims laid out in the Articles of Association. And they can be whatever the hell the original progenitors of the business decide they are. The idea that the only/pimary goal of a business is to make money for the shareholders is blinkered neo-liberal capitalist cant.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • StavrosStavros Frets: 337
    Who are you calling a cant?  =)
    I love my brick
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    Snags said:
    StratNut said:
    “Safety is our No.1 priority.”

No, it’s making money,
    A business primarily exists to make money for the shareholders, and there's nothing wrong with that.  I  used to be a senior manager at a company and had a stand-up row with a colleague at a meeting once when he insisted that our company existed "in order to serve the community".  

Funnily enough one of my bugbears is people who hold this to be axiomatic. It's not. A business primarily exists to fulfill the aims laid out in the Articles of Association. And they can be whatever the hell the original progenitors of the business decide they are. The idea that the only/pimary goal of a business is to make money for the shareholders is blinkered neo-liberal capitalist cant.

Indeed.

I've just retired after 22 years as general manager of a company, the primary business of which was to provide a service to its joint owners. Which it did. However, it still had to make a profit 'cos sure as shit the owners weren't keen on propping it up.

• My days. 

Were did that one come from? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom