What Are You Listening To Now ?

What's Hot

Comments

• HaychHaych Frets: 5630
    Keefy said:
    Haych said:
    On Every Street - the much hated final offering from Dire Straits.

If I'm honest the album is rarely on my rotation, but whenever I do listen to it I can never work out why, despite the reviews and general dislike this album seems to garner, it's really quite good.

A few of the songs are a bit cheesy but even the throw-away My Parties isn't a terrible tune.  Some of the other songs point in a direction that Knopfler clearly had in mind and spelled the end of DS.

There's some good playing on it, too.
    I like it too. But I find live album On The Night to be turgid and overblown.
    On the Night is a bit forced.  There are some good moments, Private Investigations was awesome, but overall it feels very scripted - the spontaneity and energy of Alchemy Live just wasn't there.

I think I read an interview with Phil Palmer about the time of that tour and he said words to the effect that Knopfler was pretty much in control of what everyone was playing, there was very little room for anyone to improvise parts.

The extended version of Calling Elvis became a bit dreary, Money for Nothing was pretty good, though, but why Knopfler felt the need to do what he did to Solid Rock is a question I can't fathom.

Overall, as a live album I don't think it worked very well.  I don't think I actually own it, so little is my interest in it, and I'm about the biggest DS fan there is.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 951
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
  • Queensryche - Rage for Order
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22862
    edited November 2021
    I've developed a habit of putting Spotify on when I'm working in the evenings.  Until a week ago it used to play an album and then stop, now all of a sudden it plays an album, then goes straight into a random playlist based on my listening habits.

So I'm listening to about three hours of a Spotify stoner/doom metal playlist.  Bloody good it is too.  Sleep, Pallbearer, Khemmis, Vokonis, Asteroid, Witchcraft, Green Lung, Elephant Tree...

Current track:  Osiris by Spaceslug.

(Edit:  After a few days of this, the algorithm seems to make a playlist by combining (a) bands they think are similar to the one you've just listened to and (b) bands you've listened to previously from the same genre.  The only thing I don't like is that it tends to always be the same one or two tracks from any particular album - I guess the most-listened to ones.  Still enjoying it though.)
  • Fleetwood Mac. I'd forgotten how bloody good Rumours is. I missed it on release, by virtue of being minus one year old, but I grew up hearing the big hits - Dreams, Don't Stop etc - but it's a great album from start to finish, my wife's assessment of Songbird being "not as good as Eve Cassidy's" not withstanding; Never Going Back Again is inspiring me to get back to learning finger picking.
  • khaotickhaotic Frets: 109
    edited November 2021
    The Warning - Mayday; Queen of the Murder Scene
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    Depeche Mode -- Policy of Truth

• I have the CMA hilights on BBC4 on. It’s a celebration of the badly dressed and musically generic. Keith Urban was a bit rockier and I enjoyed Chris Stapleton with Jennifer Hudson as something different although it’s not exactly cutting edge stuff. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Lindsey Jordan, or Snail Mail. On Matador.

• maharg101maharg101 Frets: 685
    edited November 2021
    Physical Graffiti Redrawn by various artists. A MOJO front cover CD of covers of the entire double album. I also purchased the double vinyl as it is so brilliant. Really enjoying the cover versions by Blackberry Smoke, The Temperance Movement, Son Little, and Michael Kiwanuka on it.
    This one goes to eleven

Trading feedback here
    Phil Jamieson, one of the guitarists from Caspian (and very occasional vocalist for the mostly-instrumental band), has released an album of acoustic covers with all sale proceeds going to charity. As he admits, it's fairly rough and ready but it's very intimate and honest. Absolutely love it. 

https://philipjamieson.bandcamp.com/releases
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • joetele said:
    Phil Jamieson, one of the guitarists from Caspian (and very occasional vocalist for the mostly-instrumental band), has released an album of acoustic covers with all sale proceeds going to charity. As he admits, it's fairly rough and ready but it's very intimate and honest. Absolutely love it. 

Really like his covers of How Soon is Now and Indifference, thanks for sharing
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Ignorance by The Weather Station.  Reminiscent of Lana Del Rey, Talk Talk, Ariel era Kate Bush.  Early days, I'm still only familiar with the first few tracks but really enjoying it.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 26.226.2 Frets: 524
    Can - Landed and Flow Motion
    The Beatles - Let it Be Box 
    Neu 75
    Pete Townshend- Who Came First
    Chris Bell - I Am The Cosmos
    Big Thief - UFOF
    Low - Hey What
    Rain Parade - Beyond The Sunset
    Peter Perrett - How The West Was Won
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    joetele said:

Really like his covers of How Soon is Now and Indifference, thanks for sharing
    I even like the flippin' Goo Goo Dolls cover :/
    Sleigh Bells

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3905
    Cock sparrer, 4 skins and ABBA today.
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5167
    Shed Seven & Classic FM (at different times)