Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Any ideas for a late life crisis shred guitar

What's Hot
123457»

Comments

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2198
    edited April 2021
    Kebabkid said:
    Although they're part of the fun of these type of guitars, personally, I wouldn't buy one with a Floyd or similar locking nut system. They're a bloody faff. You can get similar results from Gotohs, Wilkinsons etc and locking tuners and thankfully, guitars that fall into that category now feature them.
    Yes the AZ 2402 doesn't have that. It's fitted with Gotohs tuners. The locking tuners are a bit novel. I need to get my head around them.

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1037
    Just to complete this old thread I finally made a choice (see link below). Thanks to @Vibetronic for suggesting the Ibanez AZ series.

https://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/204810/ngd#latest

It's a bit of a departure from my original thoughts, but combines traditional looks with shred worthiness.

Awesome :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72448
    edited April 2021
    Kebabkid said:
    Although they're part of the fun of these type of guitars, personally, I wouldn't buy one with a Floyd or similar locking nut system. They're a bloody faff. You can get similar results from Gotohs, Wilkinsons etc and locking tuners and thankfully, guitars that fall into that category now feature them.
    Having now acquired an Ibanez with a Floyd, and also owning a PRS with a trem - which is at least as good as any other non-locking one - and locking tuners, I completely disagree.

The Floyd has a bend range that the PRS trem doesn't reach, especially pulling up (the Ibanez is back-routed). You can go to the extreme end of the range in either direction without even the slightest hint of tuning trouble, which you can't with the PRS - good though it is, it does go slightly out if used for more than a fairly gentle dive. And the Floyd has a steeper movement to pitch ratio which makes it easier to do precise wide bends. And although admittedly a slight faff to set up in the first place, once done is no hassle at all - with everything locked in place it remains so.

If you want a Floyd for the things a Floyd does best you need a Floyd.

I actually replaced the pickups on the Ibanez without even de-tuning the strings - I just took the bridge out of the guitar by removing the springs, and it was in tune when I re-fitted the bridge and put the springs back on... that's how good a Floyd is . (Even if you don't normally want to do that!)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom