Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Any ideas for a late life crisis shred guitar

What's Hot

Comments

The AZs are definitely worth considering - they don't come with an HSH configuration, but with the switching options you don't need it as you can get all of those sounds (for comparison I have a floral Jem too, and I can get all the sounds I want from the AZ that I can from the Jem). The Jems are very nice - much skinnier neck though. As you can tell I'm completely sold on the AZ - a chance trade last year and it hasn't really left my hands. 

You're more than welcome to try my Jem/AZs for comparison (I have both a Prestige and a Premium AZ) when we're actually allowed to meet 

Having looked at the examples on this thread and doing more research, I'm starting to like the idea of the Ibanez AZ series. If they're OK for Martin Miller, Tom Quayle and Polyphia, I guess they qualify as a shred guitar combined with a less flashy, more conventional appearance.

Pity there's no HSH option, although the HSS offers the neck and middle in series as an option, which is what I've got with the S1 switching on my HSS Strat. Now I'm torn between the HH (with 24 frets) and the HSS.

Yep, precisely what they are. They play nice and quickly but the neck is that much chunkier - not massive, but I'm guessing more Strat-like. I've never been into or played many Strats though, so can't really make the comparison. The neck on the Prestige is slightly nicer than the neck on the Premium - finished a bit more smoothly (and slightly less chunky to me, but I might be imagining that). My Prestige is HH and has all the in-betweeny sounds I use a lot (again, can't compare to a Strat), and the Premium is the HSS as I really wanted a neck single coil, and it does the job very well. From memory the neck and middle together on it does a pretty decent job, but I'll need to double check that & the switching options as I can't remember what's what (I have favourite positions sound-wise, can't remember what combinations they are though!). The action is definitely higher than my Jem/the Vigier I used to have, but I haven't bothered changing it as it's so comfy to play and I'm so used to it now...certainly doesn't interfere with anything I play. 

Both are definitely better than the Charvel DK24 at the £8-900 price point. I have a student with one and it's a great guitar, just not *quite* as good - it pushes the Premium, but the Prestige is another level imo. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I do not get on with basswood or mahogany RGs. This is ash and is much more lively. An hour of your time to tweak the wiring to fix the split position tones, and modify the Tone Zone to get rid of the mud and you have the perfect super strat - if you can live with the looks.

• You could try an ibanez  jiva X

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72448
    One thing that would put me off all these Ibanezes is that horrible recessed front-mounted jack. I’ve never owned a guitar with one but I have enough experience repairing them and damage to the wood around them that I wouldn’t ever buy one. The worst was one where the owner had tripped over the lead and ripped out the bottom of the recess - I had to fit a Strat-type metal plate to it, which didn’t look quite as neat.

I’m not a fan of the plastic switch surrounds either.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • You could try an ibanez  jiva X

That's a great looking guitar but I'm gravitating towards the AZ's now. I guess that means a more conventional understated appearance.

It's not a competition.
  • ICBM said:
    One thing that would put me off all these Ibanezes is that horrible recessed front-mounted jack. I’ve never owned a guitar with one but I have enough experience repairing them and damage to the wood around them that I wouldn’t ever buy one. The worst was one where the owner had tripped over the lead and ripped out the bottom of the recess - I had to fit a Strat-type metal plate to it, which didn’t look quite as neat.

That's an interesting point. How about the rear mount recessed jacks of the AZ series?

It's not a competition.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11935
    In the next few months I should have some money available for what might be my last splurge on a guitar.

I own the traditional options (Strats, a Tele, a Les Paul, a PRS). Somewhat late in life, I've developed a yearning for a pretty looking (some might say blingy) high quality HSH shred guitar. 

The Ibanez RG series and JEMs might be a bit too pointy for me. Currently the Ibanez S6570Q Prestige NBL seems to fit the bill (link below). 

Any thoughts on pretty looking HSH shred type guitar options (in the region of £2K or less) for an old codger.

I made the same sort of decision a few years back, and bought something very similar (but conventional trem):
    Ibanez SV5470F Prestige review | MusicRadar

An amazing guitar, but I had to sell it:
    • HB pickups sounded awful to me, and body is too shallow to fit many pickups
    • SC mode sounded completely unconvincing
    • real SC was too weedy
    • Neck was so thin it was somehow harder to play, and a little painful

I'd try it first

Personally I'd recommend a Tom Anderson or a Suhr

stratman3142 said:

That's an interesting point. How about the rear mount recessed jacks of the AZ series?
    Any recessed barrel jack has at least some of the same problems - barrel jacks are inherently less reliable than open-frame ones, and the wood gets a bit chewed up around the hole usually, although it's not so visible on the back or the side - but the ones on the front seem to have an unusually thin wall thickness at the bottom of the hole, which makes them more prone to damage.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:

Never had a problem with these going back 20 years (and none of the stuff ICBM says above - not to say it doesn't happen though!!). The only thing I've had go wrong is my fault - putting the guitar down standing up on the floor with the lead still in, and not properly in a stand...really bad habit and knackers the input after a while. If I don't do that they're absolutely fine :) 
    Vibetronic said:

Never had a problem with these going back 20 years (and none of the stuff ICBM says above - not to say it doesn't happen though!!). The only thing I've had go wrong is my fault - putting the guitar down standing up on the floor with the lead still in, and not properly in a stand...really bad habit and knackers the input after a while. If I don't do that they're absolutely fine :) 
    As usual, I only see the ones that break, so the numbers may well be pretty small... although barrel jacks are notoriously shit across a very wide range of guitars and I do replace a *lot* of those, I really don't know why they seem to be considered a 'premium' fitting.

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11793
    If ye want shreddy and not pointy - surely an LTD LP would do the trick, with active pickups, like this lovely thing...

You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • ICBM said:
    Vibetronic said:

As usual, I only see the ones that break, so the numbers may well be pretty small... although barrel jacks are notoriously shit across a very wide range of guitars and I do replace a *lot* of those, I really don't know why they seem to be considered a 'premium' fitting.
    Yeah, and I've probably been lucky - the one on my old Vigier was supposed to be a really good one, but it was a totally enclosed unit - and doing my usual standing-it-on-the-floor thing knocked out the connection a bit, but with the added bonus I couldn't actually get into it easily to fix it. I didn't bother in the end, and it meant if I moved the lead right by the jack it worked as a rather crude killswitch. 
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2198
    edited January 2021
    NelsonP said:

A nice looking guitar. Its finish is very similar to that of my PRS S2.

This thread is certainly helping me get my thoughts in order. And totally changed my mind

In quite a radical departure from my original spec, I'm now thinking of the Ibanez AZ2204 Prestige IBM or the AZ2402 TFF. Neither are HSH but the pickup switching systems give loads of flexibility.

Nice demos below

It's not a competition.
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1037
    NelsonP said:

A nice looking guitar. Its finish is very similar to that of my PRS S2.

This thread is certainly helping me get my thoughts in order. And totally changed my mind

In quite a radical departure from my original spec, I'm now thinking of the Ibanez AZ2204 Prestige IBM or the AZ2402 TFF. Neither are HSH but the pickup switching systems give loads of flexibility.

Nice demos below

good idea :) The AZ2402 is the same as mine just a different colour. I got the 2204 in the Premium range and without the scratchplate mounted pickups as I prefer the sound of direct mount. 

Give me a shout when we're not Tier 4 anymore (and whatever you are - 3 down in Devon?)
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    You could try an ibanez  jiva X

Even I think that's pretty cool! 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14476
    kiesel
    What about their JB24 Jason Becker Tribute "Numbers" model?
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Just an FYI if buying something with a recessed jack - if you play wireless at all (I practice at home with a Boss Katana Air) you'll need to get chiselling and sanding to fit a wireless transmitter! If you can't find the ideal guitar in HSH format, consider getting an SSS/HSS and lash in some single size humbuckers maybe? 
     If you want a fancy maple top on a brand new shred machine, your options are very limited under 2k looking at the main sites like Peach etc...you're really looking at 2.5k or so, or going used.  You'll get a quality used Suhr modern or Vigier Excalibur on your budget. They both have the visual wow factor. But drop that requirement and your choices are a lot wider!  Personally, I think the used Stormshadow Jake E Lee in the classifieds could be a winner for you...plenty under your budget even after replacing neck pickup (which they would probably do for you).
  • Yup I can't fit my U2 wireless dongle on my Ibanez S521. Thankfully it fits all my other guitars. I just got a short extension cable for the Ibanez. But it has made me think twice about guitars with a front recessed jack socket. 

But talking about mid life crisis guitars, God help me at the age of 48 I'm thinking of buying my first 7-string guitar.