Something new from PRS tonight - 7pm Eastern Sea Board Time

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
    Is it me or are the SEs becoming really good for the money?!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22970
    Whitecat said:
    Wonder how long the CU22 will actually stay discontinued for this time - I may be wrong but I think it went about 2 years last discontinuation before it was reintroduced?
    I'm sure it'll be back before long.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14303
    tFB Trader
    Whitecat said:
    Whitecat said:
    jeztone2 said:
    As well as the Custom 22 being discontinued. Has he ceased to offer the Pattern neck on the Cu24? Some of us don’t like skinny necks. I’d prefer more of a range of neck/fretwire options. Not less. 
    CU24 never had Pattern as an option - always Pattern Thin or Pattern Regular. 

Showing Pattern Thin only - I prefer P Regular - But I dare say their sales figures will show what they need to 

Pity about the CU22 as well as I prefer that to a CU24 - The new Studio is a different animal to the CU22 and not a replacement - Part of me says if you want a CU22, with trem, then a DGT would be a fine alternative - Similar but not the same - But then plenty of used options out there if required
    You would know better than me but I bet 9 in 10 CU24s imported into the UK had Pattern Thin necks. So hard to find a Pattern Regular here (I also prefer it) - a little easier to find a Pattern Regular in the states of course but obviously simply more of them. 

Wonder how long the CU22 will actually stay discontinued for this time - I may be wrong but I think it went about 2 years last discontinuation before it was reintroduced?
    When I was a major dealer for new PRS Guitars, I probably stocked the CU24's in a 50-50 ratio regarding the thin v regular profile - Maybe sales were  more Thin than Reg - But sold both - I'd find 'as an overview' that the Ibanez style speed freaks liked the wide/thin, and many 'traditional' older players liked the Reg 
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5431
    Whitecat said:
    Whitecat said:
    jeztone2 said:
    As well as the Custom 22 being discontinued. Has he ceased to offer the Pattern neck on the Cu24? Some of us don’t like skinny necks. I’d prefer more of a range of neck/fretwire options. Not less. 
    CU24 never had Pattern as an option - always Pattern Thin or Pattern Regular. 

Showing Pattern Thin only - I prefer P Regular - But I dare say their sales figures will show what they need to 

Pity about the CU22 as well as I prefer that to a CU24 - The new Studio is a different animal to the CU22 and not a replacement - Part of me says if you want a CU22, with trem, then a DGT would be a fine alternative - Similar but not the same - But then plenty of used options out there if required
    You would know better than me but I bet 9 in 10 CU24s imported into the UK had Pattern Thin necks. So hard to find a Pattern Regular here (I also prefer it) - a little easier to find a Pattern Regular in the states of course but obviously simply more of them. 

When I was a major dealer for new PRS Guitars, I probably stocked the CU24's in a 50-50 ratio regarding the thin v regular profile - Maybe sales were  more Thin than Reg - But sold both - I'd find 'as an overview' that the Ibanez style speed freaks liked the wide/thin, and many 'traditional' older players liked the Reg 
    Interesting - in my casual browsing across many dealers over the past almost decade I felt like every nice one I saw had the thin neck and every “meh” one (of which there were far fewer) was a pattern regular. Might have all just been my biases at work - or maybe other dealers with less taste than you tended to prefer the thins. ;)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72435
    My favourite of all was the Regular D, which was only used on the Custom 22 Soapbar, I think - as far as I remember it was the width of a Regular with the depth of a Wide-Fat. Mine also had a subtle ‘boat’ shape. Another one I shouldn’t have sold...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    TTBZ said:
    Absolutely nothing interesting there for me this year, just more of the same. Was hoping for some more nice 22 fret options or an SE Vela. 
    It seems every time they bring out new colours or finishes on the SE range, it's limited to the Custom 24.

I don't understand that at all, seems arbitrary to me. Maybe the Custom 24 is outsells the other models even more than I'd imagine so is only worth offering many options for that model.

As a disliker of 24 fret guitars it really annoys me, especially since some of the colour options look great to me.
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1788
    Nothing too radical 

but I  liked the Myers SE
    again felt the push for the SE acoustic was important some underated models there.

but nothing world changing 

it’s totally true PRS has gone backwards in some ways but can’t blame him as the number 3 US maker we all throw the bulk of our money at shonky old Gibson and there is no magic here Fender there words not mine.

So 594 is a better fit and finish and sounding SC type guitar and the Silver Sky knocks most 2k Fenders out and leaves them for dead.

But it would be nice as he heads towards retirement to get one last hurrah from the old boy. Lol

tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    My favourite of all was the Regular D, which was only used on the Custom 22 Soapbar, I think - as far as I remember it was the width of a Regular with the depth of a Wide-Fat. Mine also had a subtle ‘boat’ shape. Another one I shouldn’t have sold...
    That is one of my favourite PRS Guitars - P/ups lack some 'vintage mojo' - To hot - But that can be changed - But a nice guitar

I know it was a D profile but can't recall the finer detail of the spec - But a Reg neck use to have the same depth as a wide/fat - Yet we know PRS can change such details from time to time
    guitars4you said:

That is one of my favourite PRS Guitars - P/ups lack some 'vintage mojo' - To hot - But that can be changed - But a nice guitar
    The bridge pickup was horribly over-middy on its own, although it combined well with the others - the other two were OK. Duncan Hot P90 and Vintage P90s if I remember right... I changed the switch to a standard Strat type so I could get the middle alone, which was nicer than the bridge. I did consider changing them but in the end I swapped it for a Rickenbacker on the spur of the moment! Not a bad decision at the time but I miss the PRS a bit.

I know it was a D profile but can't recall the finer detail of the spec - But a Reg neck use to have the same depth as a wide/fat - Yet we know PRS can change such details from time to time
    Interestingly the Swamp Ash Special I’ve got now says it’s a Wide-Fat on the card, but to me it feels almost like the Cu22 Soapbar did - it’s slightly narrower than a WF normally feels, and has the same sort of subtle ‘boat’ profile.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22970
    edited January 2021
    ICBM said:

Interestingly the Swamp Ash Special I’ve got now says it’s a Wide-Fat on the card, but to me it feels almost like the Cu22 Soapbar did - it’s slightly narrower than a WF normally feels, and has the same sort of subtle ‘boat’ profile.

I think PRS neck profiles do vary a bit.  Despite the accusations of "it's all just CNC" levelled at them there seems to be a fair amount of hand-shaping. 

I've owned quite a few core models, nearly all with Wide/Fat (or Pattern) necks and they've all felt different.  Sometimes there's a hint of a very, very soft V down by the nut end (the "boat" you mentioned?), but others don't have that at all.

Also the Regular neck on my Mira feels thinner than the Pattern Regulars on my S2 models - it's a few years older and the spec may have changed a bit, but I can feel a difference between the S2s as well.

• @ICBM said:

Most W/F and Reg profile PRS's I've played have that soft V apex about them, it's a big part of why I get on so well with their guitars! :)
    Philly_Q said:

I've owned quite a few core models, nearly all with Wide/Fat (or Pattern) necks and they've all felt different.  Sometimes there's a hint of a very, very soft V down by the nut end (the "boat" you mentioned?), but others don't have that at all.
    Yes, exactly. I've also owned ones with it and without - it's so subtle you can't really see it, but you can feel it.

tFB Trader
    Philly_Q said:
    ICBM said:

I think PRS neck profiles do vary a bit.  Despite the accusations of "it's all just CNC" levelled at them there seems to be a fair amount of hand-shaping. 

Also the Regular neck on my Mira feels thinner than the Pattern Regulars on my S2 models - it's a few years older and the spec may have changed a bit, but I can feel a difference between the S2s as well.

I've done the USA factory tour - Maybe 3 times - And had chances to ask many many questions - Yes the blanks go through a CNC machine - Incredibly accurate - Something like 3 times more so, than the thickness of 1 strand of hair - But they will come out with 'cutting blade' marks - These will be hand sanded out - And this is what will create minor variations - Such variations will be a small measurement, yet we can feel such minor differentials
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2388
    Four UK sellers with Lunar Ice SS's on ebay.....all £10-12k lol