The TV Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2414
    Watching the final ever episodes of Brooklyn Nine-Nine. Easily the worst season so far I'm afraid - I get that they adjusted things in light of the BLM movement, but it's really on the nose. 

Also (finally!) started watching Ghosts. Love that it's basically the Horrible Histories team. Really enjoying it!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7432
    FarleyUK said:
    Watching the final ever episodes of Brooklyn Nine-Nine. Easily the worst season so far I'm afraid - I get that they adjusted things in light of the BLM movement, but it's really on the nose. 

Also (finally!) started watching Ghosts. Love that it's basically the Horrible Histories team. Really enjoying it!
    Ghosts is SO good 
    Red ones are better. 
    Anyone watching 9 Perfect Strangers on Prime? 

I really have no idea where it’s headed - 
    Red ones are better. 
  • TimmyO said:
    Anyone watching 9 Perfect Strangers on Prime? 

I really have no idea where it’s headed - 
    It's good!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Click Bait.

Lovely idea - social media impact on a crime and how SM viewers are making it worse... leading to consequences linked to SM use.

BUT, some scenes are soooooo badly written it took me right out of the show and into annoyance. Like a seemingly helpful policeman who works well with others having the cliche argument with the boss about team work etc when it didn't suit either of their characters.

I'll probably finish it as it's only 8 episodes or so, but I hope the writing improves!
  • I really enjoy the rookie , I don’t watch much tele , but recently treated myself to a week of catching up with it . Season 3 was very short must be due to coved , only 14 episodes . 
    A very enjoyable series . 

Based on a guy who was really a rookie rookie in middle age , wonder if there’s a book 
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4920
    Just watched the second episode of the second series of "A House Through Time" on BBC2.

It looks at the lives of all the people who lived in a particular house in Headingly in Leeds, from about 1845 when it was built.

Doesn't sound much in those bald terms, but a fascinating insight into Victorian life.

They did one last year about a house in Liverpool, which might still be around on iPlayer.

• Anybody else watching Vigil? I'm quite enjoying it.
    Well, I was quite enjoying it but there's only so far you can suspend disbelief before risking a hernia.  The basic concept - detective has to investigate a murder on a submarine - is good. But in the last couple of episodes the plot lines have gone silly and OTT. It's not conducive to being gripped by a show when you're sitting there thinking "no, that wouldn't happen" every few minutes.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22939
    I've been watching Kingdom on Netflix.

It's a South Korean 16th-century historical drama... with zombies.  Excellent stuff.  And it's not too long, two six-episode series and a feature-length spin-off (which I haven't watched yet). 
    Watched the first episode of Squid Game on Netflix - very impressed with the opener 
    Red ones are better. 
  • New Taskmaster started last night. I've not been a huge fan of the lockdown era ones but this one seems better. They did actually show the wrong programme ( has been admitted by Channel 4 this morning) and showed the censored pre watershed version by mistake. So, those of us wanting to hear Morgana Robinson describe Alex as a c**t will have to wait longer. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Another thumbs up for The Squid Game on Netflix
  • A City Crowned with Green on BBC iPlayer. This 1964 opinion piece is a wonderfully articulate, intelligent, and incisive commentary by Reyner Banham on why and how London expanded in the 20th century and the issues which that expansion created. Thoroughly recommended for anyone who now lives or has lived in "the London area" and has a love/hate relationship with the city.

This programme is another in the collection 'curated' by Simon Jenkins - I've mentioned some of the others previously. If you're at all interested in aspects of London in the 20th century, you should check out his collection: there are some real gems in it.
  • Nitefly said:
    Just watched the second episode of the second series of "A House Through Time" on BBC2.

It looks at the lives of all the people who lived in a particular house in Headingly in Leeds, from about 1845 when it was built.

Doesn't sound much in those bald terms, but a fascinating insight into Victorian life.

They did one last year about a house in Liverpool, which might still be around on iPlayer.

I once saw something similar about a house and all the different families who lived in it and alterations through different time periods , must have been 16 years ago or more maybe 
  • I just binged an old series that I completely missed first time around. Men of a Certain Age. Came out 10 years ago, and was cancelled after only two seasons. Damn shame,  because it really was a fantastic show.
  • I finally finished The West Wing.

Excellent telly, and kept a high standard throughout the the 7 seasons with very few episodes that were sub par. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • New Taskmaster started last night. I've not been a huge fan of the lockdown era ones but this one seems better. They did actually show the wrong programme ( has been admitted by Channel 4 this morning) and showed the censored pre watershed version by mistake. So, those of us wanting to hear Morgana Robinson describe Alex as a c**t will have to wait longer. 
    I did wonder why so much was bleeped out. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22939
    TimmyO said:
    Watched the first episode of Squid Game on Netflix - very impressed with the opener 
    I watched the first two episodes last night, I thought I knew exactly what to expect but it's surprised me several times already... I like it a lot thus far.  I've seen the main guy in several films prior to this, but he's playing a very different type of character here.
  • My wife and I are watching Justified - I saw the first four-ish seasons a few years ago, but can't remember much of it so I'm enjoying watching it from the start. However, it's quite slow as my wife spends a lot more time asleep than I do. So I started watching Deadwood (also starring Timothy Oliphant as a marshall) and it's very good. I've heard good things about it for a long time but it was never on the streaming services I subscribed to, but I took the plunge and bought the first season.

Another show I watched with the wife recently was Kingdom, starring Stephen Fry, and with a cracking supporting cast (Hermione Norris, Celia Imrie, Phylidda Law, John Thomson and Tony Slattery, plus a host of well-known faces in guest roles). It's a delightful show, perfect Sunday evening gentle comedy/light drama fare, and sadly cancelled by ITV after a third season cliffhanger.
    My wife and I are watching Justified - I saw the first four-ish seasons a few years ago, but can't remember much of it so I'm enjoying watching it from the start. However, it's quite slow as my wife spends a lot more time asleep than I do. So I started watching Deadwood (also starring Timothy Oliphant as a marshall) and it's very good. I've heard good things about it for a long time but it was never on the streaming services I subscribed to, but I took the plunge and bought the first season.

Another show I watched with the wife recently was Kingdom, starring Stephen Fry, and with a cracking supporting cast (Hermione Norris, Celia Imrie, Phylidda Law, John Thomson and Tony Slattery, plus a host of well-known faces in guest roles). It's a delightful show, perfect Sunday evening gentle comedy/light drama fare, and sadly cancelled by ITV after a third season cliffhanger.
    Justified has the benefit of the theme tune by the utterly brilliant Darrel Scott - anything that's a gateway drug to his music is fine by me 
    Red ones are better.