The TV Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10285

Watched Season two, episode three of The Boys on Amazon last night. Some of the best tv I've ever seen. Just brilliant. It's really ramping up now and I can't wait to see how the relationship between Stormfront and Homelander develops.

For anyone who's not seen this show, seriously, put it on your 'to watch' list.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    The Colony (1964)  Fascinating documentary available on BBC iPlayer about the Birmingham community of post-Windrush West Indian immigrants. Sensitively filmed and edited by Philip Donellan, it is often moving, sometimes heartbreaking, and always interesting. Strongly recommended as a rare and important vehicle for West Indian voices from the early days of post-colonial immigration. I'd love to know whether any of the people featured in the show are still alive today, and what their thoughts are on the intervening 57 years.

• Anybody else watching Vigil? I'm quite enjoying it.
    Well, I was quite enjoying it but there's only so far you can suspend disbelief before risking a hernia.  The basic concept - detective has to investigate a murder on a submarine - is good. But in the last couple of episodes the plot lines have gone silly and OTT. It's not conducive to being gripped by a show when you're sitting there thinking "no, that wouldn't happen" every few minutes.

Enjoyed it, overall, but totally unbelievable. Halfway through the series, I remarked to the other half that it had become so far-fetched that the next episode was surely going to feature aliens and time travel.

Just finished Series 3 of Sex Education. Don't know if it is popular on tFB, but I love it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12364
    Just watched episode 3 of Squid Game, really enjoying it, went dubbed for the first episode and subs for 2 and 3, much better with subs. 
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22944
    Just watched episode 3 of Squid Game, really enjoying it, went dubbed for the first episode and subs for 2 and 3, much better with subs. 
    Subs is the way to go, although there was a storm-in-a-teacup news story about them yesterday:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-58787264
  • I don't understand the fuss about Squid Game. I've watched it all because I couldn't find anything else. The whole idea has been done to death (no pun intended). Some plot elements were pointless. 
  • If you like squid game then Alice in borderland, also Netflix, is worth watching too.
  • MellishMellish Frets: 947
    Classic Eastenders on Drama Monday to Friday :) 
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7437
    Chestnut Man on Netflix is an excellent scandi police thing 
    Red ones are better. 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12383
    Just signed up to Netflix and started off with a couple of episodes of Squid Games and the first one of Witcher. Liking both so far, SG is the better one though. 
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    Just binge watched Squid Games over the last couple of evenings. Enjoyed it. 
  • +1 for The Chestnut Man. Best watched in Danish with English subtitles. IMO dubbing into English ruins it.
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6158
    We're re-watching The Wire at the moment.

Snoop just bought a nail-gun - writing, acting and directing genius in one brilliant but totally unimportant scene.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtop said:

Snoop just bought a nail-gun - writing, acting and directing genius in one brilliant but totally unimportant scene.
    I think Breaking Bad ended up being a smidge higher in my estimations, but they are both at the very top of my personal list of best TV shows. The Wire blew me away when I watched it, it was so much better than anything I'd seen before.
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2026
    edited October 2021
    goldtop said:

Snoop just bought a nail-gun - writing, acting and directing genius in one brilliant but totally unimportant scene

I didn’t believe the hype about the Wire. Finally binged it this summer. Best series I’ve ever seen, by a distance. 
  • Chuffola said:
    goldtop said:

Snoop just bought a nail-gun - writing, acting and directing genius in one brilliant but totally unimportant scene

I didn’t believe the hype about the Wire. Finally binged it this summer. Best series I’ve ever seen, by a distance. 
    Definitely - excellent TV.

Right up there with Sopranos, Boardwalk Empire and Breaking Bad. 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12383
    I need to give The Wire another go. I gave up after a couple of episodes because I couldn’t follow the dialogue. Maybe I should try it with subtitles. 
  • boogieman said:
    I need to give The Wire another go. I gave up after a couple of episodes because I couldn’t follow the dialogue. Maybe I should try it with subtitles. 
    If in doubt, assume that person A is angry and calling person B a dick, is calling person B a dick and joking, or threatening to kill them. That should cover a lot of situations.

If Michael K Williams is on the screen, just assume that he's being awesome.
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1509
    Chalk up another for Squid Game. Finished five episodes now and while it doesn’t really tread any new ground in terms of subject matter, the visuals and overall aesthetics are once again spectacular.

Re: The Wire…I REALLY really want to like this show. I’ve tried like five times to get into it and the furthest I’ve got is finishing Season 1. I love all the other critically acclaimed HBO shows of a similiar nature but baffled why I can’t get into this. It’s just so….dull. I’m gonna try again once I’ve finished SG.
  • For those who enjoyed Squid Game, watch Alice in Borderland. Similar (and yet different) idea, but actually good.