The TV Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3922
    Philly_Q said:
    As usual I'm about ten years late, but I'm watching Banshee.

I wasn't too sure at first, there's lots of nudity and violence - so that's good - but I was finding the characters unlikeable and various subplots irritating.  But it seems to be rapidly gaining some layers of sublety and complexity, and I've been told the later seasons are better than the first.
    I'm in the middle of season 4 of Banshee. Like you say, it's mainly breasts and fighting, but it's great mindless entertainment. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23319
    Lebarque said:
    Philly_Q said:
    As usual I'm about ten years late, but I'm watching Banshee.

I wasn't too sure at first, there's lots of nudity and violence - so that's good - but I was finding the characters unlikeable and various subplots irritating.  But it seems to be rapidly gaining some layers of sublety and complexity, and I've been told the later seasons are better than the first.
    I'm in the middle of season 4 of Banshee. Like you say, it's mainly breasts and fighting, but it's great mindless entertainment. 
    I got to the beginning of season 2 then ground to a halt for some reason and, as often happens, I never went back to it.  I should pick it up again (but I'll probably have forgotten by the time I get home).
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1325
    munckee said:
    sinbaadi said:
    We've been watching "Fool me Once".

Really really good rubbish drama/thriller.

Absolutely claptrap of the highest order, super glossy, utterly silly, but all the twists and turns of a noire epic.  Cliff hanger after cliff hanger.  

Completely forgettable, but you just can't wait to find out what happens!

We've been attempting to wade through it.  I can't find much to like really, I don't give a sh1t who did what or who is dead or not.  Yet to be decided whether we bother watching any more.
    You are probably doing something foolish like thinking about it whilst you watch.

I was put in my place when I laughed out loud at the helicopter chase.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15704
    just seen the latest episode of Fargo, fuck me that is some mighty fine television. Each episode just keeps getting better and better; John Hamm is just glorious as the unhinged messianic leader. Not knowing how it ended in real life (though I think I know the story it's based on) I can't wait to see how it ends, yet I'll also be almost grief stricken when it does.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BluesLoverBluesLover Frets: 678
    Watching two things on Amazon...
    Fargo season 5, as above, brilliant.
    Reacher season 2, dreadful.
    edited January 12
    I hope for season 3 - if there is one - they don't feature the special investigations unit or even Frances Neagley, although she is my favourite of the supporting characters.  Go back to one of the books where it's just Reacher on his own.  In this series it's never felt like he's the leader of that group and the whole thing's just not quite working.

Also the whole Jack Reacher philosophy of "don't knock anyone out or hand them in to the police, it's so much easier to just kill them" is getting on my nerves.  It's... stupid.
    Meanwhile I've started a number of Netflix/Amazon series but keep forgetting to go back to them - Marianne, Invincible and Gyeongseong Creature.
    I'm loving Reacher, it's just so bad, it's brilliant. The plot, acting etc. would have to improve a hundred fold for it to be 1 dimensional, I love it.

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4935
    I watched the first episode of After The Food last night on ITV really enjoyed it.
    Will probably binge watch the rest over the next few days on itvX.
    LOL, went looking for "After The Food", couldn't find it - it's "After The FLood"!!!!

Doh!

• BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1756
    We finished 1st (out of 2) season of "The Head".

Killer on the loose in antarctic research station. I love "Thing" vibe to it and anything related so I'm enjoying it so far, although it's bit slow paced. 
    Only 6 episodes per season so got through it pretty quickly. It's OK, nothing outstanding. 
    5.189/10
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1483
    Balls to all you Reacher naysayers, I’m enjoying it. 

And I like the way they’ve tweaked the story from the book too. 

(And yes there’s going to be a season 3, they’ve started filming already) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stufisherstufisher Frets: 872
    Just finished watching Monster via All4 streaming platform.

It's part of the 'Walter Presents' section of the platform and a typical moody, broody, intense Scandi-noir crime series ... so you know what to expect.

Me'n Mrs F like these types of drama (favourite is The Bridge) and we've decided to watch a few more again over the next few weeks.

Monster is slow to start, has a complex set of characters, some weird back stories and a few plot twists. The close-up scenes highlight all shades of human emotion pretty well but the macro-filming and vistas show off the locale brilliantly.

My only criticism is that it needed a bit more energy at certain points but a good all rounder if you like Scandi-noir.

8/10

After Monster we watched the first three episodes of After the flood on ITVX. We like it so far ... gritty, authentic and topical ... akin to Happy Valley.

Will watch the remainder tonight and hopefully be pleased with the outcome. Will comment thereafter.
  • JfingersJfingers Frets: 388
    Boy Swallows Universe 
    Netflix 

It's shaping up well for us. I recommended it to my best mate about an hour ago, I can't say I do that for many shows.

"A young boy growing up in the suburbs of 1980s Brisbane faces the harsh realities of life — and the looming dangers that threaten his family."

It reminds me slightly of Breaking Bad and Stranger Things, same gritty vibe.

• BrioBrio Frets: 1890
    Ted, the TV series on Peacock.

Basically its Ted and John Bennett- the early years. Not up to the film's levels as you'd expect from US TV so you get drugs and fucking swearing but less sexy times. Well so far, I've only watched ep1 so far.
    Holding out a lot of hope for it.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10491
    Jfingers said:
    Boy Swallows Universe 
    Netflix 

It's shaping up well for us. I recommended it to my best mate about an hour ago, I can't say I do that for many shows.

"A young boy growing up in the suburbs of 1980s Brisbane faces the harsh realities of life — and the looming dangers that threaten his family."

It reminds me slightly of Breaking Bad and Stranger Things, same gritty vibe.

I'm liking this as well. It's got that gritty Aussie vibe and some of the dialogue is black comedy genius. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12457
    stufisher said:
    Just finished watching Monster via All4 streaming platform.

It's part of the 'Walter Presents' section of the platform and a typical moody, broody, intense Scandi-noir crime series ... so you know what to expect.

Me'n Mrs F like these types of drama (favourite is The Bridge) and we've decided to watch a few more again over the next few weeks.

Monster is slow to start, has a complex set of characters, some weird back stories and a few plot twists. The close-up scenes highlight all shades of human emotion pretty well but the macro-filming and vistas show off the locale brilliantly.

My only criticism is that it needed a bit more energy at certain points but a good all rounder if you like Scandi-noir.

8/10

After Monster we watched the first three episodes of After the flood on ITVX. We like it so far ... gritty, authentic and topical ... akin to Happy Valley.

Will watch the remainder tonight and hopefully be pleased with the outcome. Will comment thereafter.
    After the Flood is next up on our watch list, good to hear it’s decent viewing. 

We just finished off The Winter King on ITVX. It got slightly better in the second half of the series but they really did need a stronger actor to carry the part of Arthur… he’s not got the charisma (or the height) to fill the role. Guinevere is not great either, again she’s lacking in screen presence but it’s also partly down to her hugely improbable hairstyle. It’s not a bad series, and some of the supporting cast are very good, but then it’s not that great either. Apparently the writers envisage a further four series to complete the story from the Cornwall books, but I do wonder if they’ll persevere with it. Series 2 hasn’t started shooting yet and it does looks expensive to make. 
  • stufisherstufisher Frets: 872
    I can report that After the flood was deffo worth seeing through to the end. No spoilers ... just a recommendation to watch it if you like good, stalwart, Brit drama.

Solid 8/10
    So, Reacher then. Basically, he kills a bunch of people, some of whom are unarmed and have surrendered and the authorities don't bat an eyelid one iota? No attempt to bring to justice or arrest, just mown down in cold blood. Then they let him walk away with several million dollars in bonds essentially without question. I know we're supposed to suspend disbelief but come on. And why does his stubble never grow? Is it all the roids he's pumping?!?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    joneve said:
    Balls to all you Reacher naysayers, I’m enjoying it. 

And I like the way they’ve tweaked the story from the book too. 

(And yes there’s going to be a season 3, they’ve started filming already) 
    (Sssh, small men don't like watching Reacher with their other half!) ;)
  • Ozzie744Ozzie744 Frets: 39
    Watching two things on Amazon...
    Fargo season 5, as above, brilliant.
    I just finished season 5 of Fargo and I agree, Brilliant!