The TV Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3903
    DannyP said:
    Lebarque said:
    True Detective S4 - Night Country

I'm two episodes in and enjoying it. Some interesting characters, Jodie Foster is great and the whole atmosphere is cool. An underlying humour to it too. The corpsicle lol. Seems more accessible than seasons 2-3 after the brilliant S1.  
    Lots of parallels with Fortitude so far - including the appearance of Christopher Ecclestone.
    Yes, I was surprised when Dr Who popped up. Is Fortitude good?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16301
    Lebarque said:

I'm two episodes in and enjoying it. Some interesting characters, Jodie Foster is great and the whole atmosphere is cool. An underlying humour to it too. The corpsicle lol. Seems more accessible than seasons 2-3 after the brilliant S1.  
    We are two episodes in.

IIRC filmed in Finland pretending to be Alaska which I guess helps explain the splattering of British actors. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3903
    Lebarque said:

We are two episodes in.

IIRC filmed in Finland pretending to be Alaska which I guess helps explain the splattering of British actors. 
    Iceland
    Lebarque said:
    Lebarque said:

We are two episodes in.

Iceland
    Ahh, well not actual Alaska anyway.
    A Murder at the End of the World was also partly filmed in Iceland and for anyone enjoy this True Detective they might enjoy that. 
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7373
    Legion. I don't know what's happening. Every time my wife asks if I want to watch it I say yes and that I like it, but I haven't got a clue what's going on.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12426
    Finished Fargo series 5. Great storyline, interesting characters, well acted, beautifully constructed. I liked the little references back to the original film. Best of the bunch so far, just superb. 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12422
    Philly_Q said:
    munckee said:
    Just watched The haunting of hill house, years old but realised its by the same people as the Fall of the House of Usher series on Netflix.  It was pretty good I thought,  I like a creepy ghost horror more than a zombie type horror usually and it was certainly watchable and I liked the all over the place bits from the past slowly revealing the horror.

Will now start on the Haunting of Bly House which is same team again I think.
    Prepare for disappointment.  But it's still worth watching. 

(I'd recommend reading the original books, in both cases.  And the 1960 film The Innocents.)
    I’ve just watched it, I liked the premise of it and it was quite moreish early on but ran out of steam, probably 5 episodes worth into 9 episodes.  
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1371
    Griselda - finished off Season 1 last night - and ...err.. that's your lot. Sofia Vergara didn't sign on for multi-seasons surprisingly / Netflix. I thought they'd string the whole lady cop / narco Bodicea along for a good few seasons but nope.

It's ok - it zips along at a fair pace. It's obviously not a patch on Scarface which tells much the same story in the same location. One of the arch villains is set up and then squandered in his role (Rivi). 

If you are curious as to just how the real life Griselda Blanco rose to power - you'll come away non the wiser.

...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1880
    edited February 4
    Awhile back I posted that I started watching Ted on Peacock, the story of the early years of Ted and John Bennett. Just finished the series (only 7 episodes but I don't get much screen time in these days). and Iit has been far better than my expectations with some great scenes. Worth a look - 7/10 for me.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15621
    just caught the latest episode of Masters of the Air. Very powerful, if you haven't watched the series yet, or are on the fence, I can't recommend it highly enough.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Lebarque said:
    Lebarque said:

We are two episodes in.

Iceland
    Ahh, well not actual Alaska anyway.
    A Murder at the End of the World was also partly filmed in Iceland and for anyone enjoy this True Detective they might enjoy that. 
    Up to date on True Detective, feeling properly gripped. Also binged season 3 which starred a man with a deep mumbly southern accent. Even MrsTheWeary (who lived in Arkansas and once translated for me when I met a man from Mississippi) struggled so thank God for subtitles. Good rather than great maybe. 
    I still love The Great Pottery Throwdown although I'm not sure it gets much leverage on here. 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12422
    VimFuego said:
    just caught the latest episode of Masters of the Air. Very powerful, if you haven't watched the series yet, or are on the fence, I can't recommend it highly enough.
    Really looking forward to watching it. Have tried to persuade my daughter and her uni friends that they owe it to that generation to watch this stuff as it gets more realistic  
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1755
    munckee said:
    VimFuego said:
    Really looking forward to watching it. Have tried to persuade my daughter and her uni friends that they owe it to that generation to watch this stuff as it gets more realistic  
    Is this series finished? I'm looking forward to seeing it but I wanted to wait once it's all out so I can binge it.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15621
    munckee said:
    VimFuego said:
    Is this series finished? I'm looking forward to seeing it but I wanted to wait once it's all out so I can binge it.
    there's definitely one more to go, not sure after that.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1313
    edited February 16
    It's been panned hasn't it?

I adore Band of Brothers, it's phenomenal.
    I thought The Pacific was alright but forgettable.

I have been led to believe Masters of the Air is of a Pearl Harbour (movie) style.  
  • BluesLoverBluesLover Frets: 673
    There's a new series of Bangers and cash started Thurs nights on the Yesterday channel.
    It's ok, but nowhere near as good as when Sarah worked there. 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12426
    There's a new series of Bangers and cash started Thurs nights on the Yesterday channel.
    It's ok, but nowhere near as good as when Sarah worked there. 
    I prefer the restoring classic cars version but the standard series is ok. I bet Derek “Mr always right” Matthewson is a real pain in the arse to live with, even though I admit he’s extremely knowledgeable 
  • TimcitoTimcito Frets: 802
    edited February 20
    The Year I Started Masturbating - this is a limited series care of Sweden currently showing on Netflix. Aside from the title, I was prompted to watch it after enjoying another life-comedy from Sweden called Love and Anarchy (also on Netflix). 

In a nutshell, it's about an attractive 39-year-old married woman with one kid and a great job who suddenly loses it all and saves her soul. It's quite entertaining and interesting for a few reasons. First, it represents an absolute antithesis to the American drive to 'be the best you can be.' the woman discovers that life is much more fun and much less stressful if we concentrate on simple pleasures and just allow ourselves to be mediocre. At the end, she is offered her jet-setty job back but refuses because she wants to be 'like Bob over there', who never does anything spectacular but just rolls up for work every day and then rolls back home without a care. She realizes she no longer wants to be 'good' at what she does; she just wants to be okay at it.

Another interesting thing is that one person the woman meets along her journey is a fitness instructor who vehemently urges her to masturbate more and 'trust her pussy,' which she does henceforth. My, how far we've come (ahem!)! Masturbation is depicted as a source of good health and pleasure; when I was growing up, it was a dirty loser secret practised by low-life men and which women (seemingly) never did. Now we have it in a mainstream drama title and enacted onscreen with pride and by women, no less.
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 742
    edited February 20
    Just watched the making a murderer series on Netflix.
    Some story, but too long. Guy gets framed for a violent rape, gets 32 years, serves 18 before new forensic evidence proves it wasn't him, not long after being released he, and his nephew, are accused of murder, lots of evidence to suggest he's been framed again. 

Just going by this you'd have to say they are innocent, but it's hard to tell if it's biased. 

If they are innocent it's a feckin disgrace!

Also watched one about amanda knox. The mad thing about that was how the media reacted. It's amazing how much they can influence things like that.
    I did laugh when she would kind of hint that it was her that did it through the interview. She obviously likes the attention. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    Just finished One Day, which was surprisingly good and quite moving in parts. 
    The Patient - tense and good, the main characters are good. Like it

On last episode of Westworld S4, nuts but good. No idea what is really going on, well I don't think I have, but doesn't seem to matter.