Jaguar v Jazzmaster

What's Hot
FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
If you could only have one, which would you choose and why?
If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26987
    Jazzmaster any day. But they're v different, so there are definitely circumstances where I'd prefer a Jag.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    Freebird said:
    If you could only have one …
    :frown: 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    Jazzmaster any day. But they're v different, so there are definitely circumstances where I'd prefer a Jag.
    Are you making a case for having one of each?
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2236
    Jaguars feel like toys to me.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72321
    Jaguar. I find Jazzmasters a bit too 'long', and I prefer the dynamics of the Jag.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26987
    Freebird said:
    Absolutely! But I could just as easily make a case for a halfway-house build with a 25" scale and WRHB pickups. That would be really special...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173
    Good question, and one which I ask myself often.

I have both in 65 AV versions.

Some days I get my Marc Ribot mojo on and I'm convinced the Jag is "it" while the JM is too long and more suited to shoegazers. Then I'll play the JM for a while and really get into it and think the opposite.

I don't know! :p  Oh the pain of suffering these luxury problems! :'(
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    Freebird said:
    Absolutely! But I could just as easily make a case for a halfway-house build with a 25" scale and WRHB pickups. That would be really special...
    I have always thought it prudent to choose between similar types of guitars to prevent things from getting out of hand, so I'd probably get one or the other, but it's not set in stone!
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5419
    Both super fun. On balance probably a JM if just one, just for that neck pickup sound - but it would be a tough call, I love the feel of Jags. 
  • FezFez Frets: 522
    Jag for me.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5753
    Freebird said:
    I have pretty much that, with a slightly streamlined body. It is indeed an excellent thing. 

If I had to make an a/b choice, I’d go Jag. 
  • 26.226.2 Frets: 524
    edited April 2021
    I have both - a 64 Jag and a CIJ Jazzmaster. 

Both are great and I’ve played a couple of 1961 Jazzmasters that were really special, but I’d have to go for the Jaguar. I love the fact that it jangles like crazy with light gain and has a characteristic growl with more gain that no other Fenders have. The short scale plus fast attack and rapid decay really makes you play differently and that’s fun. Having said that they’re far more versatile than they’re often claimed to be. I think the only major limitation is that it’s pretty crowded up above the 12th fret. But for big garagey riffs and chimy picking they can’t be beaten. 
  • hessodreamyhessodreamy Frets: 118
    edited April 2021
    I’ve had both and on balance preferred the jag. It had this real ‘crang’ and punch that was fun to attack the fretboard on frenetic stuff. Loved the neck pickup rhythm tone but struggled with the bridge brightness and couldn’t cut through the band (nb this is pretty much what I think of any single coil guitar!). I ended up routing it for a set of jazzmaster pickups. That was fun for a bit. Got rid of it for a jazzmaster. It was good but I couldn’t find the character in it. 

In hindsight I kinda wish I’d kept the Jaguar and put a slightly hotter bridge pickup in. 

Also, I’m short so jags feel better to me. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 26.226.2 Frets: 524
    I’ve had both and on balance preferred the jag. It had this real ‘crang’ and punch that was fun to attack the fretboard on frenetic stuff. Loved the neck pickup rhythm tone but struggled with the bridge brightness and couldn’t cut through the band (nb this is pretty much what I think of any single coil guitar!). I ended up routing it for a set of jazzmaster pickups. That was fun for a bit. Got rid of it for a jazzmaster. It was good but I couldn’t find the character in it. 

In hindsight I kinda wish I’d kept the Jaguar and put a slightly hotter bridge pickup in. 

Also, I’m short so jags feel better to me. 
    Couldn’t cut through the band with a Jag? Wow! 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hessodreamyhessodreamy Frets: 118
    26.2 said:
    Couldn’t cut through the band with a Jag? Wow! 
    Ach, it’s a common theme for me: got a busy sounding band, and I always dial in too much high and not enough low. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72321
    I rewired my Jag to give both pickups in series as the 'both switches down' setting, that made it a lot more versatile.

Usefully, the modern Duncan mini-humbuckers will fit in a Jag without routing too.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12354
    I bought a jag and a jazzmaster during lockdown to pick which I preferred. It was the jag for me.  The jm is similar to a Strat for me and having a Strat and a tele the jag felt like a punchy little surf machine and I prefer the pickups. 

Don’t know your budget but if you can find a Mexican classic lacquer you wouldn’t need to go any higher up the ladder they are really good. The AVRI pickups are awesome. 
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3200
    I prefer jazzmasters, the middle position on them is possibly my favourite guitar sound, it’s just a unique tone -naturally chorused with a wonderful note for note clarity. However, I’m missing having a jag so that will be the next in once the next lot of Vintera’s hit this shore. Jags are more percussive and as a result sit really well in a mix. I think it’s possibly unfair to pick one.

@stickyfiddle offers an in between there that should be a standard model. I have no idea why fender haven’t made more of the jazzblaster’s potential. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1844
    They both look horrible to me. But if forced I'd choose Jazzmaster,under duress.
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1388
    Throw a Mustang into the mix for the shorter scale and trem.... ;)