Jaguar v Jazzmaster

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• tele69tele69 Frets: 198
    Both are cool as hell.., as a singer/ player, JM a little easier to feel ones way around. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1388
    edited April 2021
    This. 24.75 scale length. Looks fantastic! JM bridge etc

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DaevidJDaevidJ Frets: 414
    Jaguar... I love the scale, the chrome, the attack and the fact it cleans up rather well!
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2898
    A Gibson scale on a jazzmaster is what I want and a pair of humbuckers, a smaller offset body would be really good to me
    The Powercaster they did a few years ago is sort of this but they should have just kept the shape like a smaller jaguar I think! If they ever come up for cheap in a sale I'd still be tempted by one. Wish Fender did a 24.75" option for strats and teles, just feels nicer and more at home for me. 

Would be very cool to see your idealised version of a Jaguar!
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189

Now that is stunning...
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5424

Been gassing for one of these for a looong time. Might prefer a Bigsby though because I’m contrary that way. 
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3293
    tFB Trader
    TTBZ said:
    A Gibson scale on a jazzmaster is what I want and a pair of humbuckers, a smaller offset body would be really good to me
    The Powercaster they did a few years ago is sort of this but they should have just kept the shape like a smaller jaguar I think! If they ever come up for cheap in a sale I'd still be tempted by one. Wish Fender did a 24.75" option for strats and teles, just feels nicer and more at home for me. 

That's why I'm not doing anymore strats and teles etc because of that scale length and fretboard radius

I also want a set neck to sculpt the crap out the heel area 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rossirossi Frets: 1703
    I'd like a Shaguar please

Sounds just like me in the early 60's but I had better legs
    The Mascis squier is known for its comfy neck profile. Any of the squier Jags have better necks than others or are they all standard enough?
    Forgot to throw the Silvertone 1478 into the mix as well. Probably crap resale but looks cool 
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7162
    My Jaguar (a slab-board 1962) is the guitar I always wanted and the one I’d take to my grave, or at very least a desert island. 

That said, I bloody love a good jazzmaster. I long for another. They’re very different guitars, both in feel and sound. I wish more than anything else that I’d bought an equivalent era Jazzmaster to my jag when they were less stupidly priced - they’re out of reach now really. The biggest blot on their copy books now is that almost everyone plays them - of the two, the Jaguar still feels a little more unique as a result. 
  • The Mascis squier is known for its comfy neck profile. Any of the squier Jags have better necks than others or are they all standard enough?
    Forgot to throw the Silvertone 1478 into the mix as well. Probably crap resale but looks cool 

I've fancied a J Mascis JM for a long time. Having never had a Jazzmaster though, I wander what difference having the bridge positioned more forwards has? Some say it does not have the feel and overtones of traditional jazzmasters. Does that really matter? I'm not sure, I probably wouldn't know what I was missing. 
  • TTBZ said:

That's why I'm not doing anymore strats and teles etc because of that scale length and fretboard radius

I also want a set neck to sculpt the crap out the heel area 

What's wrong with the 25.5 inch scale? I would have thought it's largely unimportant unless compared to baritone. 
    @MagicPigDetective i had one briefly and afaik the pickups are nothing like regular JM ones. More like p90s. 
    The trem position didn’t change anything for me in terms of feel. I just feel JMs often feel “too big” for me and i’m 6ft odd. Not sure if it’s scale or what. 
    An SG obviously feels way more comfy to me. Never really auditioned the Jags though apart from the blacktop which felt crowded around the 12th fret...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31592
    Jazzmasters have one of the best pickups in the world, but they need to be in something else.

Both guitars are bendy, insubstantial, plinky, and utterly vile

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    p90fool said:
    Jazzmasters have one of the best pickups in the world.

Great summary of a les paul and a sg 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2021
    Like Ric basses you buy the guitar with a crap bridge/trem system p 
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    p90fool said:
    Jazzmasters have one of the best pickups in the world, but they need to be in something else.

We still don't know where the first part of your username comes from...
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7162
    Like Ric basses you buy the guitar with a crap bridge/trem system p 
    Actually, Ric have sorted the bridge on the latest models... but I take your point. Sometimes the rest of the instrument warrants the compromise though. Our bass player bought one of the new 4003’s and it’s by far and away the best bass I’ve ever heard. It could be argued that jags and Jazzmasters are worth the effort too. 
    @GavRichList I’m joking ;) I’d love a Ric bass, faults n all!