Jaguar v Jazzmaster

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72339

Same scale as a jaguar and has a far inferior vibrato system

Also has the weakest piss like pickups known to man

And out of phase is awful
    Most of the time I agree, but I was once in a band where the Mustang sounded better than the Jaguar - I don’t really know why, it just did. (Although I still never used the out of phase.) The other three bands when I had both, definitely the normal way round. They were all reasonably similar-sounding bands with the same drummer and bass player too...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1388
    @ICBM any video demos I have seen online, the mustang and jag sound pretty similar though no idea how bad the mustang vibrato is 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    @ICBM any video demos I have seen online, the mustang and jag sound pretty similar though no idea how bad the mustang vibrato is 
    The Mustang is lower-output than the Jag, a little brighter, and ‘cleaner’ sounding - sort of like the difference between a Strat and a Tele.

The vibrato is quite abrupt and not ‘smooth’ like the Jag’s, nor ‘precise’ like a Strat either - it’s not terrible, but it’s not good for carefully-controlled bends, it’s more twangy and bouncy :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2021
    Out of the different ranges, assume they all have the same controls, are the differences down to finish and colours?
    e.g. Squier CV v VM. Mexican classic player etc. The Mascis JM has the vibrato a bit closer to the bridge, but other than that... 
    What puts me off revisiting these again is that there are so many videos online, from Squier up to American made, that have problems with vibratos, bridges, necks, pickups etc. I just don't want the hassle anymore!
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4205
    edited April 2021
    Out of the different ranges, assume they all have the same controls, are the differences down to finish and colours?
    They don't all have the same controls across the ranges - some have different controls, some have the same controls but doing different things. Then there are different bridges, vibratos, vibrato positioning. Some of the Jazzmaster pickups aren't really Jazzmaster pickups, they're more like P90s in a JM cover etc. It's quite a mess really!

In terms of the general proliferation of videos fixing problems, as a general rule of thumb they become less important to pay attention to the higher up the scale you go. It would appear that most Squiers ship needing a fair bit of tinkering with neck shims etc. But then as you go up it's more about preferences.
    @Lewy and the Squier Mascis seems to get favourable reviews without any tinkering. When I had one, I changed the stock bridge as I thought that was a definite mod that everyone had to do, but there was nothing really wrong with the stock bridge. 
    I had a Mexican HH one about 5 or 6 years ago, and it was never right, from the bridge to the neck etc....
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4205
    @Lewy and the Squier Mascis seems to get favourable reviews without any tinkering. 
    It does, although I wouldn't like having the TOM bridge a different radius to the neck, and I believe that's one of the models where the pickups aren't really JM pickups.
  • Fender haven't made the perfect Jazzmaster yet, but they're getting closer and I'm confident they'll nail it at some point within the next 50 or 60 years. 
    Dickie's 90-Second Pedal Demos: youtube.com/c/Dickies90SecondPedalDemos /// guitar.com reviews: guitar.com/author/richard-purvis/
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26994
    All you need is a Staytrem bridge. 

And an AVRI trem. And Mojo pickups. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    Jag for me - Jazzmasters feel huge on me and I prefer shorter scale anyway. Not into all the rhythm circuit or trem though so the ideal one for me would be a HH Blacktop hardtail Jag.
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    Fender haven't made the perfect Jazzmaster yet, but they're getting closer and I'm confident they'll nail it at some point within the next 50 or 60 years. 
    Yes they have.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26994
    £100 says that didn't have a Mastery from the factory
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3290
    tFB Trader
    A Gibson scale on a jazzmaster is what I want and a pair of humbuckers, a smaller offset body would be really good to me
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • A Gibson scale on a jazzmaster is what I want and a pair of humbuckers, a smaller offset body would be really good to me

Oddly enough I'm thinking of getting a cheap(ish) squier offset and I have always played les pauls and was wondering if a jazzmaster or a jaguar would be the better choice?
    tFB Trader
    A Gibson scale on a jazzmaster is what I want and a pair of humbuckers, a smaller offset body would be really good to me

Oddly enough I'm thinking of getting a cheap(ish) squier offset and I have always played les pauls and was wondering if a jazzmaster or a jaguar would be the better choice?
    Coming from a Les Paul the jazzmaster was a revelation but I need to make my own version now, I just don't get on with a fender scale length and I've tried.

I'd love a smaller body and think it would do what an sg does if I make it out of mahogany
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3495
    I think that is close to a Fano PX6. 
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3202
    Coming from a Les Paul the jazzmaster was a revelation but I need to make my own version now, I just don't get on with a fender scale length and I've tried.

I'd love a smaller body and think it would do what an sg does if I make it out of mahogany
    I’d love to see this, I think it’d make an amazing instrument. Looking forward to a build thread. ;)
    tFB Trader
    I think that is close to a Fano PX6. 
    Well I'll do my thing same as my telepaul, it's completely different to a fano in construction
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    £100 says that didn't have a Mastery from the factory
    DM'd you my bank details, thanks.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    I much prefer the looks of the Jazzmaster, but I've now tried a few and haven't got on with them.

Jags on the other hand are quite ugly, but play beautifully.

Problem is the one I would want is a Jazzmaster!