Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Who's gigging tonight?

What's Hot
1909192939496»

Comments

• <snip>I wouldn’t say there is competition between original bands and cover bands as they draw different crowds…to a degree. But what can happen is at a local level, cover bands may get priority over a venue as often they can pull a bigger crowd.
     Totally agree. My originals band is a hobby. We write, record, practice and perform perhaps 12 times a year at best. There are  3-4 small music venues locally which support original music and put on gigs. They can't pay much because original bands generally don't draw much of a crowd and a small crowd doesn't spend much at the bar. They also can't afford to open more than 3-4 nights a week at best. But the focus is on attracting music fans and be a performance venue rather than a pub with customers looking for a drink and a dance to familiar tunes. It's different. 

These venues would not be able to afford a good covers band, but can afford to give small originals bands a platform to perform. I'm quite confident my band isn't taking bookings away from the sort of bands that play 2-3 nights per week, draw decent crowds of drinkers and put on a good show and entertain the audience. 

Sadly, there are plenty of really bad covers bands, too. Their performances really don't deserve a platform (on a musical basis) but in my area, they get booked anyway and the audience doesn't seem to mind. The pubs who book them don't make musical judgements, they naturally just count the till receipts, and it's their opinion and that of their audiences that counts. So fair play to them all. :-) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dariusdarius Frets: 632
    edited February 24
    Agent Utah in Matlock at The Fishpond tonight. 

I will spend too much time worrying about the pub sound limiter flashy light thing!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BenSirAmosBenSirAmos Frets: 411
    The Surgeonaires perform live at the Duke of York Hanwell W7 3SP tonight (1st March). More than 2 hours of original material plus a few covers (just for fun) from 9pm. It will be fun. Trust me, I'm a Surgeon

EP - A Delicate Operation - out now on all channels

Hang on for the ride
  • FezFez Frets: 522
    Borrowed Time at the Block & Gasket in Burgess Hill tonight 8.30pm start
    Don't touch that dial.
  • FezFez Frets: 522
    Borrowed Time at the White Hart in Crawley Friday night.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • TOMORROW (16th March '24) - STAGGERINGLY GOOD BREWERY - PORTSMOUTH
    Lots of bands playing at the Light and Dark Beer Festival including me and my new blues outfit Angel's Share.
    Should be a great day for beer and music lovers.
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3655
    Starbelly are back at Costello's Bar in Warrington again tonight, kick-off 8:30pm.
  • MonkeyboneMonkeybone Frets: 261
    edited March 22
    My new band, Autumn Red, have a gig at The Cobblestones in Bridgwater tonight

My band - Crimson on Silver  For sale - Blackstar HT-5S

Gear - Guitars, amps, effects and shizz. Edited for Phil_aka_Pip, who is allergic to big long lists.

• Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1279
    With my band Gun Money at Rowells Drinking Emporium, Long Eaton nr Nottingham tonight. Great real ale pub…..good job I’m driving! 
  • bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1655
    FALL3N HALO @ The Albion, Skipton tonight..

FALL3N HALO @ The Ship n Anchor, Southport tomorrow night...

My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

Gun Money at Spondon Village Club in Spondon nr Derby tonight from 9pm. 
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    I'm on bass with MonkeyDolls at O'Neill's in Southampton, 7pm till 9pm.
  • ElectricXIIElectricXII Frets: 1130
    Painted Wolf at the Wheatsheaf Inn. Kirkcaldy on Saturday night, and the Harbour View, Kinghorn Sunday.

Starbelly are back at The Winchester Club in Skelmersdale tonight, kick-off 9:30pm.
  • 26.226.2 Frets: 524
    Tomorrow night (Friday 12) - Hope and Anchor, Upper Street, Islington, London. 
    With The Gerry Farrow Band playing The Thomas Cranmer Centre in Aslockton, Notts. tonight. 75% original material and a paying audience……doesn’t happen often enough these days. :)
  • roundthebendroundthebend Frets: 1137
    My covers band are playing in the bustling metropolis of Spalding, Lincs.
    I've just added the Nu-X Amp Academy to my board and I'll be trying to gig without an amp for the first time ever. The other guitarist does the same, bass player goes DI, and drummer uses an electronic kit. And we all use wired IEMs so the setup is going to be slightly different, fun, and curious all at the same time.

Starbelly playing at Costello's bar in Stockton Heath, Warrington.  5pm kick-off.
    It’s the fifth anniversary of our first gig as Gun Money tonight and we’re playing at The Greyhound Inn in Woodville near…..well, nowhere you’ve heard of possibly. Ashby-de-la-Zouch is the nearest town I guess.