Ian Elson Guitars - AVOID!!

What's Hot

Comments

• ColsCols Frets: 7089
    Maybe I’m being heretical, but wouldn’t it be worth buying it at that price just to strip it for parts?  And we’re having a cold snap, so if you’ve got an open fireplace nothing goes to waste.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2513
    I think that’s generally the fate of these instruments, to be stripped for parts
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1850
    Offset said:
    "I had it built for my 60th..."
    That’s the sad thing. I'm guessing the seller wanted a nice bespoke guitar to mark the special occasion. Instead, he got that sloopy mess that he can't shift even for a significant loss. 
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • BodBod Frets: 1321
    No, it's tool marks that he didn't bother to sand away and finish properly - you can see that the scratches extend onto the headstock itself.
    And that's completely unforgiveable.  It shows a complete lack of attention to basic details.
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8824
    tFB Trader
    Sesh said:
    Offset said:
    That’s the sad thing. I'm guessing the seller wanted a nice bespoke guitar to mark the special occasion. Instead, he got that sloopy mess that he can't shift even for a significant loss. 
    Agreed. I know 2 people (personally) stung by this guy. I know I’ve joked in the past about him, his shoddy practices and “building (non existent) skills” but people have laid out their hard earned money time and time again for these guitars. And yet I’m sure he’s still going. 

You wouldn’t even get £50 for the parts either.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12412
    strtdv said:
    At least he's learnt to put a string tree and use a Fender style nut on his guitars. Those neck screws look so close together though I can't imagine the neck being stable
    Shame he carved the actual headstock with a spoon though. 
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2513
    I believe the design incorporates a 4th B&Q pozidrive screw underneath the pickup for extra stability
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3992
    "If I get a bid of over £350 I’ll include a semi-rigid case in the deal". They should also include details of the buyer's local mental asylum if they pay over £350 for it!
    I'd imagine the seller would be at least semi-rigid if someone were to offer 350+
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The seller is called Eltex2 - quite like the man himself...?
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • MartinBushMartinBush Frets: 255
    Weighty, and full of great toned
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11953
    Sesh said:
    Offset said:
    I suspect the seller is now aged 60 and 5 days.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3458
    Sesh said:
    Offset said:
    Agreed. I know 2 people (personally) stung by this guy. I know I’ve joked in the past about him, his shoddy practices and “building (non existent) skills” but people have laid out their hard earned money time and time again for these guitars. And yet I’m sure he’s still going. 

That's unfair if those really are BKP boot camp pickups. But then again, those are the parts Elson didn't interfere with.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3670
    At that price I'm almost tempted to buy it just so that I can claim to own such a (im)famous instrument.

My quest for an accompanying Phillips Cleartone masterpiece goes on.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Weighty, and full of great toned
    The ones full of great toned, am the mostest very bestest guitars.
    My youtube music channel is here My youtube aviation channel is here
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10605
    tFB Trader
    Musicwolf said:
    At that price I'm almost tempted to buy it just so that I can claim to own such a (im)famous instrument.

My quest for an accompanying Phillips Cleartone masterpiece goes on.

Strangely I think this does Mr Phillips a disservice mentioning him in the same sentence. :-)
    Granted his 'conversions' are pointless, overpriced, ugly and inept, but he does, it would appear, have a strong grasp of getting the action right and making the monstrous and lumpen whole actually work as a guitar. Look at his feedback score on eBay.

Mr Elson would appear to be another animal entirely ... 
    If I had to guess I would have said Ian Elson probably built an okay guitar for himself, Garnered well meaning praise from friends and family, then decided this would be a rather good side hustle ... however building a guitar for yourself is a hell of a lot different than building for a customer. A guitar you build for yourself can have imperfections ... but it's your baby and you don't mind. A chisel mark here, a plugged hole ... all little badges of experience and lessons learned ... because you can always build another. You can't do that with a customer's commissioned guitar ... you are working to time and budget constraints and you have to get it right. 
    I've watched the coming and going of many fledgling guitar builders and it's a massively difficult and exacting thing to make a business of. You have to be quite a special sort of person: meticulous attention to detail, great people skills when dealing with customers, and the ability not to run away and hide from mistakes, but admit to them and put them right without bad spirit. 
    You have to be a dreamer at the core and a cold realist on the outside ... 
    If you don't have those qualities and can't deliver damn close to perfection every time ... then go do something else, don't take folks money and run.

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 12reaction image Wisdom
  • carlos said:
    Sesh said:
    Offset said:

That's unfair if those really are BKP boot camp pickups. But then again, those are the parts Elson didn't interfere with.
    As far as we can tell.
    I'll get a round to buying a 'real' guitar one day.
  • edited February 29
    I have to say, that is some of the shoddiest and inept work I've ever seen. That the guy has the brass balls to charge any money at all for such a piece of sh**, says everything about him.
    My youtube music channel is here My youtube aviation channel is here
  • Bennyboy-UKBennyboy-UK Frets: 1728
    https://www.facebook.com/handcraftedelectricguitars

There’s even a nifty new offset design for you surfers…
    I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for:
    * Hamer Watson, SS2, Vintage S, T62.
    * Music Man Luke 1, Luke II

Please drop me a message.
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11953

Errrrm... apologies if I've missed something but Elson appears to have renamed his business - Elmore's Guitars??? 
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7063
    tFB Trader
    Offset said:

Errrrm... apologies if I've missed something but Elson appears to have renamed his business - Elmore's Guitars??? 
    It's probably because if you Google Ian Elson Guitars the top results are from this thread and similar critques
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom