Ian Elson Guitars - AVOID!!

What's Hot
1131415161719»

Comments

• elstoofelstoof Frets: 2483
    Maybe Gary Jackson owed some people money and wanted to keep his kickstarter money seperare
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10455
    tFB Trader
    It’s a real head scratcher, this thread.

There is a pool of talent in Made In The UK, yet this guy generates consistent conversation in the Guitar section of the forum and ironically CANT build a proper functioning guitar.

I can see why a lot of builders across all aspects of the guitar world don’t bother uploading on the forum if someone like this gets more notoriety from producing a bad product. 

Maybe this is just an opinion held by myself, happy to be alone on it in all honesty. 
    Most of us 'makers' realise pretty quick that 'Made in the UK' is largely the online version of 'talking to yourself'. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader

There is a pool of talent in Made In The UK, yet this guy generates consistent conversation in the Guitar section of the forum and ironically CANT build a proper functioning guitar.

I can see why a lot of builders across all aspects of the guitar world don’t bother uploading on the forum if someone like this gets more notoriety from producing a bad product. 

Maybe this is just an opinion held by myself, happy to be alone on it in all honesty. 
    Most of us 'makers' realise pretty quick that 'Made in the UK' is largely the online version of 'talking to yourself'. 
    Oh trust me, I know. It’s tumbleweed central over there. And when a maker/builder/luthier sticks their head out and posts elsewhere on the forum to get some exposure it can easily go either way for them. I’ve all but stopped sharing my stuff on here, let’s be honest.. no one cares, do they? Especially when other social media platforms provide much more. 

Like I said, it says a lot about the “community” as a whole that a guy like this gets 19 pages of name dropping and 31,000 page views. It’s irrelevant as to whether or not it’s “bad publicity”. If you all gave the actual talented professionals here just a fraction of the time spent looking at this thread I’m sure they’d be happy.

Anyway… I’m sure that won’t happen. Talking about this guy is apparently much more interesting ;)

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10697
    edited March 3
    I think it’s just the same as the piss-boil thread having hundreds more pages than the smiley happy thread.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    edited March 3

Oh trust me, I know. It’s tumbleweed central over there. And when a maker/builder/luthier sticks their head out and posts elsewhere on the forum to get some exposure it can easily go either way for them. I’ve all but stopped sharing my stuff on here, let’s be honest.. no one cares, do they? Especially when other social media platforms provide much more. 

Like I said, it says a lot about the “community” as a whole that a guy like this gets 19 pages of name dropping and 31,000 page views. It’s irrelevant as to whether or not it’s “bad publicity”. If you all gave the actual talented professionals here just a fraction of the time spent looking at this thread I’m sure they’d be happy.

Anyway… I’m sure that won’t happen. Talking about this guy is apparently much more interesting

From over here on the couch sometimes your posts read as whiny and self obsessed. Have you seen the Trent guitars thread? Huge interest and lots of sales, ***possibly*** because what he is/was doing is more interesting than other things in the Made in UK subforum.

If you want interest, perhaps do something people might want to watch, like a how to thread or build thread with photos and a raffle of the finished product.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader

Anyway… I’m sure that won’t happen. Talking about this guy is apparently much more interesting

From over here on the couch sometimes your posts read as whiny 

I guess I’m in the right place then matey LOL
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1843

You all are certainly not talking to yourself. I read a lot of the threads in the "made in the UK" section. But, in most cases it's aspirational browsing. I'm not in a position to buy a beautifully hand crafted body, neck or pickups. So, often I don't feel involving myself beyond wows is right. 
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16681
    Sesh said:

You all are certainly not talking to yourself. I read a lot of the threads in the "made in the UK" section. But, in most cases it's aspirational browsing. I'm not in a position to buy a beautifully hand crafted body, neck or pickups. So, often I don't feel involving myself beyond wows is right. 
    I think that's what Made in the UK works well for, and it doesn't stop any companies posting in Making and Modding or Guitar  sub forums if they want more active discussion.   

Ash's recent tele build is a good example.  It links nicely to his Made in the UK threads.

Making and modding can just be showing a few bits along the process, it doesn't have to be full trade secret tutorials.  Just a this is what I started with and what I made from it type threads also get quite a bit of engagement.  Not as much as the main Guitar forum, but loads more than Made in the UK.

Although I will say all guitar builders today owe a hell of a lot to the earlier professionals who did share so much knowledge online for free.  It gave us all a good starting point for development. Personally I think it's nice to give a little knowledge back every so often, and M&M  works well for that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22879

Anyway… I’m sure that won’t happen. Talking about this guy is apparently much more interesting ;)
    We do like to see your work (and that of other builders), but there's only so much you can say on that type of thread.  You're never going to get 19 pages of people saying "lovely".  You might get a few personal endorsements from people who've bought from you, a few questions which keep things going for a few posts, but it's not really a discussion

It's very much like an NGD thread, the done thing is to respect the OP and say something nice, or say nothing at all.  It's a page or two, at most.  And let's face it, if someone does pop up with a contrary opinion on that kind of thread, all hell breaks loose because nobody wants their work, or their purchase, criticised.

Also there's another big element - Ian Elson, or Gary Jackson, or whoever he is, isn't a contributor to this thread.  If he was, it would either stifle the debate or it would be 38 pages instead of 19.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • euaneuan Frets: 1491
    edited March 4
    Ironically this morning my suggested ad

https://i.imgur.com/p2QCT8Y.jpg
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CountryDaveCountryDave Frets: 852

I'm not sure that's the case.  I don't know how others browse this forum, but my first port of call is 'Recent Discussions' and I roll down the page from there.  I'll always click on something with an interesting title and also keep an eye out for certain sections, Made in the UK being one, along with Making and Modding.

I think the difference could be that the items in there are interesting, informative and occasionally lead me in the direction of a purchase.  But the urge to add a comment isn't always there, unless the item/thread has a very specific and imminent interest to you.  I'll 'like', 'wow' or 'lol' a post, possibly star it for future reference and then move on until any additional comment flags it in my notifications.

Human nature dictates that, as stated above, bad news sells more copy that happy, good news.  I suspect with a thread like this, everyone reads it, stars it and comes back with the popcorn as it blows up.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom