Ian Elson Guitars - AVOID!!

What's Hot

Comments

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10598
    tFB Trader
    So the Facebook page for Elmore's Guitars, Inc. (that's an American thing, surely?) links to a website belonging to someone completely different?
    Following the breadcrumbs it seems to me like Ian Elson, Elmore Guitars and Gary Jackson (BAJ Guitars) are the same entity. 
    That seems pretty logical  from the evidence  so far ... 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23042
    drofluf said:
    https://www.facebook.com/handcraftedelectricguitars

There’s even a nifty new offset design for you surfers…
    If you follow the link the website says theta they're built by a "Gary Jackson".

I don't know anything about him but it seems to be a different person and we should perhaps give the benefit of the doubt and not tar him with the same brush as Ian Elson Guitars
    Wow small world. I know this Gary Jackson and BAJ Guitars. BEWARE - he's also not to be trusted. 
    So the Facebook page for Elmore's Guitars, Inc. (that's an American thing, surely?) links to a website belonging to someone completely different?
    Following the breadcrumbs it seems to me like Ian Elson, Elmore Guitars and Gary Jackson (BAJ Guitars) are the same entity. 
    So Gary Jackson is actually an Ian Elson pseudonym?  That's getting into seriously dodgy territory.  Like Grant Shapps.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1139
    edited March 1
    Philly_Q said:
    drofluf said:

If you follow the link the website says theta they're built by a "Gary Jackson".

I don't know anything about him but it seems to be a different person and we should perhaps give the benefit of the doubt and not tar him with the same brush as Ian Elson Guitars
    Wow small world. I know this Gary Jackson and BAJ Guitars. BEWARE - he's also not to be trusted. 
    So Gary Jackson is actually an Ian Elson pseudonym?  That's getting into seriously dodgy territory.  Like Grant Shapps.
    Other way round. Looks like Gary Jackson is the real person behind it all and is what I knew him as when I had my unfortunate encounter with him a couple of years ago, and is what his FB acct is called (where all his friends and family are connected to him and they all know him as Gary). 

So now the whole Ian Elson story of the OP makes sense to me. Gary isn't a criminal in my opinion and guitars are his passion. But the problem is for any customer - he's an individual who's really financially unstable (either broke or neck deep in debt), of no fixed abode, and unfortunately isn't honest as can be. Google BAJ Guitars and see how many locations it's under. That's not even including when he used to work out of Hatfield and Wales. And now Elmore Guitars in Norwich. He also dabbles as a travelling handyman/builder, guitar teacher, producer (or so he told me). Essentially a one man show who has his fingers in too many pies. So as a customer - he's definitely very high risk to do business with. If something goes belly up, good luck trying to track him down. 

I've blacklisted him but not because he's a crook, but because of the risks involved. Shame because he is a nice enough guy and like us, loves gear and good old rock and roll. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7063
    tFB Trader
    rhinofeet said:
    Odd website that. I like the recommendation from frances p corsi.

"Tellus phasellus faucibus eros sapien aliquam si platea in eu. Rutrum efficitur volutpat potenti eget letius adipiscing. Pellentesque nam at egestas montes primis. Molestie habitasse blandit nullam phasellus praesent dignissim consectetur.
    He was great in Status Quo, obviously speaks Latin with a band name like that too.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • So the Facebook page for Elmore's Guitars, Inc. (that's an American thing, surely?) links to a website belonging to someone completely different?
    Must be. If you read this bit from the site it sheds a bit of light on things...

Testimonial

What They Say

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit.

Eheu!
    I'll get a round to buying a 'real' guitar one day.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2089

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11943
    nero1701 said:
    rhinofeet said:
    drofluf said:

Odd website that. I like the recommendation from frances p corsi.

"Tellus phasellus faucibus eros sapien aliquam si platea in eu. Rutrum efficitur volutpat potenti eget letius adipiscing. Pellentesque nam at egestas montes primis. Molestie habitasse blandit nullam phasellus praesent dignissim consectetur.
    Is that a missy elliot song?
    No. Joe Dolce.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23042
    I'm still reeling from the fact that Ian Elson isn't really Ian Elson.  It's like being told that Keith Gannon isn't really the leading benefactor of the musicians of Essex.  Fortunately that'll never happen.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2892
    Musicwolf said:
    At that price I'm almost tempted to buy it just so that I can claim to own such a (im)famous instrument.

My quest for an accompanying Phillips Cleartone masterpiece goes on.

Strangely I think this does Mr Phillips a disservice mentioning him in the same sentence. :-)
    Granted his 'conversions' are pointless, overpriced, ugly and inept, but he does, it would appear, have a strong grasp of getting the action right and making the monstrous and lumpen whole actually work as a guitar. Look at his feedback score on eBay.

Mr Elson would appear to be another animal entirely ... 
    If I had to guess I would have said Ian Elson probably built an okay guitar for himself, Garnered well meaning praise from friends and family, then decided this would be a rather good side hustle ... however building a guitar for yourself is a hell of a lot different than building for a customer. A guitar you build for yourself can have imperfections ... but it's your baby and you don't mind. A chisel mark here, a plugged hole ... all little badges of experience and lessons learned ... because you can always build another. You can't do that with a customer's commissioned guitar ... you are working to time and budget constraints and you have to get it right. 
    I've watched the coming and going of many fledgling guitar builders and it's a massively difficult and exacting thing to make a business of. You have to be quite a special sort of person: meticulous attention to detail, great people skills when dealing with customers, and the ability not to run away and hide from mistakes, but admit to them and put them right without bad spirit. 
    You have to be a dreamer at the core and a cold realist on the outside ... 
    If you don't have those qualities and can't deliver damn close to perfection every time ... then go do something else, don't take folks money and run.

I’m Ian Elson!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4924
    blueskunk said:

I’m Ian Elson!
    And so is your wife!

• MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3670
    Philly_Q said:
    drofluf said:

So Ian Elson is really Grant Shapps?  It's all starting to make sense.

• Bennyboy-UKBennyboy-UK Frets: 1728
    edited March 1
    Is it really the same guy? That’s crazy if it is.

Heres something from 2015 about the project.

https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/20884456.norfolk-guitar-maker-hoping-kick-start-business/ 

I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for:
    * Hamer Watson, SS2, Vintage S, T62.
    * Music Man Luke 1, Luke II

Please drop me a message.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 1521
    Mr Elson said: 'The biggest problem with big name guitar manufacturers is that they tend to be mass produced and imported from either Asia or the United States’.

Because attention to detail, eh? 

Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/20884456.norfolk-guitar-maker-hoping-kick-start-business/ 

Well put it this way. The videos on Ian's FB page are the same on the Elmore Guitar FB page.

Then if you click on the URL in the About section of Elmore Guitars it takes you to that website with all the gobbledegook.

At the bottom of that it has the fine print saying guitars are made by Gary Jackson.

Whatever the case may be, it should be enough to deter any potential customers because you just want to buy a guitar without having to enter the Matrix first to see something shady is going on. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2408

His optimism (naivety?) in that article is almost tragic knowing what we know now.
    Tim
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26721
    edited March 1
    timmypix said:

His optimism (naivety?) in that article is almost tragic knowing what we know now.
    As a slight aside...he mentions in the article that his guitars will never be more than £850-950. Even if you completely ignore the quality and design problems, that's a massive red flag right there - it's exactly what's been said by every luthier who ever started up, took too many orders they couldn't fulfil, then started paying for current builds with future orders and eventually went bust because their business was completely unsustainable.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3741
    Looks like I was wrong in trying to be reasonable and separate the 2. Previous post edited
    timmypix said:

As a slight aside...he mentions in the article that his guitars will never be more than £850-950. Even if you completely ignore the quality and design problems, that's a massive red flag right there - it's exactly what's been said by every luthier who ever started up, took too many orders they couldn't fulfil, then started paying for current builds with future orders and eventually went bust because their business was completely unsustainable.
    This is almost a carbon copy of what happened to Letts basses.  From the poor workmanship to the disgruntled customers who couldn't get refunds, bad reviews on forums.  At one point there were threats being thrown around and threads were shut down by admins for fear of legal repercussions.  Messy.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    so Ian Elson was Ian Elson in 2015,  but was Gary Jackson, and is again ?  

Probably find that they're both  MD Philips or triplets
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11943
    I'm bloody confused!