Analogue delays.... what's your recommendations?

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Greatape said:
    So: noise. Is it inevitable with analogue delay? I've only been around a couple - of varying price - and both had background hiss and noise on the repeats. 
    Not on the moogerfooger.  Its pricey as a result though.

I would guess the chase bliss stuff might be quiet. I've never played a CB pedal though
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Greatape said:
    So: noise. Is it inevitable with analogue delay? I've only been around a couple - of varying price - and both had background hiss and noise on the repeats. 
    Can’t say I’ve ever noticed it, on some delays when the repeats get long clock noise gets introduced, but that’s a trade of the pedal designer makes between noise, maximum delay time and final price point
  • All analog delays have some noise inherent to them. Whether it's a terrible problem or not is really down to design, and how much delay time you're trying to get out of it. It's the nature of the BBD chips.

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12901
    All analog delays have some noise inherent to them. Whether it's a terrible problem or not is really down to design, and how much delay time you're trying to get out of it. It's the nature of the BBD chips.

Yes, this. For some analogue delays, it's the noise that adds the magic...
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3553
    Thanks all
    Caved, acquired Supro. Love it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DdiggerDdigger Frets: 2366
    ^^Me too!  I think I will sell some other delay pedals as it blew them out of the water.
    I think there's a place for both, tbh. It's just that even with the level up, digital sounds less present and the Supro sounds more like part of the sound-as-instrument. That said, stacking the Supro into a cheap digital gives interesting results. 
    Ddigger said:
    ^^Me too!  I think I will sell some other delay pedals as it blew them out of the water.
    Just switched on trails via the dip switch. Phew. Not a delay without trails. 
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    edited July 2021
    In the process of chasing the elusive brown sound (see separate thread) I’ve acquired 2 more analogue delays in the past week- the carbon copy mini and tone city tape echo. Already have an Aquapuss mark iii.

Been using them mainly pre- drive (EVH style). The carbon copy mini is the most transparent. Haven’t even bothered with the bright or mod switches as it doesn’t seem to colour the tone much at all. I gather it sounds darker in an effects loop, but I’m using it in front of a DRRI. High quality and versatile.

The Aquapuss has the most unique voice. I’ve chosen the CC for the VH board for its transparency, but the Aquapuss is a nice tone sweetener in a bluesy setting. Kind of adds a slight warmth to the tone, almost a “vintage sheen” type of thing.

The Tone City is ok. Not very versatile, it’s kind of either “on” with echos quite loud in the mix or it’s “off”. It seems to slightly brighten the tone as opposed to the Aquapuss which slightly darkens it. More digital sounding I think (didn’t do a blind test mind). Does a job though and for £49 not bad value with a tiny footprint. I’ll likely flog it on eBay eventually.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4701

Unless it's for slapback and short delays I do like a tap on even an analog delay.  To that end these new options look interesting, in addition to things like the CC deluxe and Rubberneck.

https://www.seymourduncan.com/single-product/vapor-trail-deluxe

https://rockettpedals.com/product/clockwork-echo/