Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Weird things you never knew

What's Hot

Comments

• Wombats produce cubes of poo. 
    Scientists only recently figured out how the wombats can make poo cubes using a round anus.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    In the film 'Toy Story', Andy's mum also had two toys called Woody and Buzz.

I'm not certain that's the truth though.
    10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16295
    Robins red breats do, in fact, have orange breasts…

When they were named, their wasnt at the time, a word for the colour orange.

See… hasnt been a wasted day has it ?
    There was an old English word geoluread which means yellow-red so there was a sort of word for orange - people could obviously see it as a distinct colour. However, it fell out of use in modern English and foxes and robins seem to have taken on their typical descriptions in the period between geoluread going and orange coming ( Shakespeare refers to the fruit but not the colour for example). So, for some reason we went back to seeing orange as a shade of red just for a few hundred years. 

If you didn’t know about orange and looked at a rainbow you’d go 
    ‘ Red, yellowy red, yellow, green…’
    so were people in the Middle Ages looking at rainbows and going
    ’Red, err dunno, yellow, green…’

The colour orange and the fruit orange aren’t synonymous in all languages. Notably the Dutch ( who have orange as their national colour,etc) had two separate words although I think in modern usage oranje has come to mean both ( referring to an orange as a Chinese Apple probably seems a bit bonkers these days). 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31592
    Wombats produce cubes of poo. 
    Scientists only recently figured out how the wombats can make poo cubes using a round anus.
    You can imagine the faces I'm pulling right now in trying to learn this trick...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    p90fool said:
    You can imagine the faces I'm pulling right now in trying to learn this trick...
    Wombats are essential implements in a game of “wom”…
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11304
    Never play dice games with a wombat. 
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    axisus said:
    JerkMoans said:
    The correct plural of ‘octopus’ is neither ‘octopuses’ nor ‘octopi’ but is, in fact, ‘octopodes’. 

sorry, but I'm only ever going to use Octopi, by far the coolest.
    Does that mean that in culinary terms. octopi pie is a thing?
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • ColsCols Frets: 7010
    hywelg said:
    rogd said:
    Try folding a piece of paper 8 times.
    To be pedantic you need to add the words "in half" otherwise it is very easy to fold a piece of paper  8 times. 

It can be done.  The world record of 12 folds was set by an American college student who wanted to prove her maths lecturer wrong.  She used a 4,000 ft long piece of paper and a very long corridor.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Sharks will only attack you if you’re wet. 
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10698
    Cols said:
    hywelg said:
    rogd said:
    To be pedantic you need to add the words "in half" otherwise it is very easy to fold a piece of paper  8 times. 

It can be done.  The world record of 12 folds was set by an American college student who wanted to prove her maths lecturer wrong.  She used a 4,000 ft long piece of paper and a very long corridor.
    Cool. 

Though I think the paper is supposed to be folded cross-ways every time, so it’s not just length but also girth that’s important, I mean width. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27013
    On the subject of purple, brown doesn't really exist (it's dark orange). Neither does pink (light red)

Good vid from a good nerd: 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 77ric77ric Frets: 539
    Sassafras said:
    I learnt only recently that the male duck billed platypus has got a venomous claw on one of its back legs and that being an egg laying mammal that bears milk, it can make its own custard.
    I think the custard making is limited to the female platypus.
    I really hate to burst your custard bubble but, platypuses, and the other egg laying mammals are not able to make there own custard for 2 very basic reasons, firstly they are unable to use a whisk, and secondly they can’t get the lid if a tub or birds custard powder. 

That’s said they are still pretty cool. 
  • rogdrogd Frets: 1514
    viz said:
    Cols said:
    hywelg said:
    rogd said:

Cool. 

Though I think the paper is supposed to be folded cross-ways every time, so it’s not just length but also girth that’s important, I mean width. 
    Correct hywelg.
    I very nearly did it with the foil inner wrapper of a Kitkat once.
  • rogdrogd Frets: 1514
    rogd said:
    viz said:
    Cols said:
    hywelg said:
    rogd said:

Cool. 

Correct hywelg.
    And for all you clever sods out there-----size don't matter!!
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2768
    HAL9000 said:
    That ‘ye’ (as in Ye Olde Shoppe) was pronounced ‘the’.
    There was the letter Thorn in old English which was the th sound. It still exists in the Icelandic alphabet. As we started printing things in English we had mostly German printing sets that omitted the letter Thorn and Y was used to represent it. Hand writing it as a Y on something like a shop sign is a bit arse backwards as they could have used a Thorn but the original letter shape had fallen out of use. 
    It takes about 1,000 years for a language to become unrecognisable. So the version of English in use when the Thorn was originally used would be unrecognisable to us today; Shakespeare for example is still modern English and that seems odd enough. 
    Even the accents from 50 years ago are very difficult to understand. You can google audio clips of e.g cockneys (other cities are available) with transcripts and it is amazing how wordage has changed in such a short period during the post industrial revolution.  
    I had a really crude (sound as well as language) as a teenager,  and I just could not recognise many /most of the words that my grandfather would have said

mrkb said:
    I think about this reasonably regularly:

Due to the presence of pregnant women, the average number of skeletons per human body is more than 1
    And the average number of arms (and legs) is less than two, but the average number of heads is greater than one!
    I think it comes across better we’re you to say that the average person has less than one leg.  It prompts a much better argument :)

TheMarlin said:
    The Rocky Horror Picture show is the only film in the Rocky series not to feature Silverster Stallone. 
    Was he good in Rocky and Bullwinkle, I missed that one ;)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rogd said:
    rogd said:
    viz said:
    Cols said:
    hywelg said:
    rogd said:

Cool. 

Correct hywelg.
    And for all you clever sods out there-----size don't matter!!
    Mythbusters did this one:

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4918
    sev112 said:

TheMarlin said:
    The Rocky Horror Picture show is the only film in the Rocky series not to feature Silverster Stallone. 
    Was he good in Rocky and Bullwinkle, I missed that one ;)

Ahem!  See page 2!  ;)

• danodano Frets: 1593
    edited July 2021
    Hattigol said:
    Last night, the current Mrs H said to me that a flame doesn't create a shadow. 

B*llocks I suggested back to her.

True enough, after a brief experiment with a candle and a torch, I got to eat some delicious humble pie as she was correct.

Anyone else discovered anything weird that they hadn't known previously?
    Having thought about it, the answer is quite easy.

The flame is effectively  electromagnetic radiation, the light you can see and the heat you can feel. That has no physical properties, hence when illuminated with  torch there is nothing physical to absorb the light from the torch and hence cast a shadow on the wall.