Guitar deal going wrong....Ian Elson Guitars

What's Hot

Comments

• SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 942
    edited July 2021
    It kinda makes me angry because I’ve seen what goes into guitar builds from people who have a love for the trade (Ben Crowe, Mark Bailey etc.). It just seems as though he has no pride in his work. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    He couldn’t have done a worse job on your guitar if he had crisp packets for hands. Are those fret ends as bad as they look? Seems like he’s just filed them down with a cheese grater. 

It kinda makes me angry because I’ve seen what goes into guitar builds from people who have a love for the trade (Ben Crowe, Mark Bailey etc.). It just seems as though he has no pride in his work. 
    Why would any one whos knows anything about guitars buy one of these? Surely there cannot be enough people who don't know anything buying enough of these for him to make a living? You'd be better off picking up some cheap shit from Argos.

Side note: does Argos still exist?
  • russpmrusspm Frets: 443
    poopot said:
    what pisses me off is that he takes advantage of folk in this way!. Not just screwing over the OP in the way that he has but by praying on others that know no different. 
    I’m assuming his customers are the sort that don’t know what a good guitar is and think they are getting something decent as it’s “hand made”. 

Would be good if we could get his little tale in the guitar press somehow?
    Rogue traders on TV or something similar maybe
  • CoffeeAndTVCoffeeAndTV Frets: 433
    russpm said:
    poopot said:
    what pisses me off is that he takes advantage of folk in this way!. Not just screwing over the OP in the way that he has but by praying on others that know no different. 
    I’m assuming his customers are the sort that don’t know what a good guitar is and think they are getting something decent as it’s “hand made”. 

Would be good if we could get his little tale in the guitar press somehow?
    Rogue traders on TV or something similar maybe
    KDH if you want to get it out to the guitar community. 
  • GrangousierGrangousier Frets: 2637
    I was thinking it was just the sort of thing Roger Cook would have covered in the old days, and wondered what was on TV to replace him these days (I don't really watch TV very much, and certainly not the bits that would have consumer programmes on). So having a look on Wikipedia, I'd never heard of Rogue Traders ("In 2012, [one of the presenters] was removed from the show, after he was jailed for benefit fraud" - it takes one to know one, I suppose), but seeing as it was merged into Watchdog in 2009 (which was recently merged into The One Show) I expect there's not that much airtime available for this sort of thing. 

Which is a shame, because it would make a great episode of The Cook Report
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    I think Dom Littlewood would be the current equivalent to Roger Cook. He's on all the daytime TV scam shows. 
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4176
    I think Dom Littlewood would be the current equivalent to Roger Cook. He's on all the daytime TV scam shows. 

I would think though, that where most people would sit and watch Dom tracking down a guy who's left some little old lady with no roof, if they saw it was about a bloke making shit guitars, they'd shrug and turn over to watch Homes Under the Hammer instead...
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22875
    edited July 2021
    I was thinking it was just the sort of thing Roger Cook would have covered in the old days, and wondered what was on TV to replace him these days (I don't really watch TV very much, and certainly not the bits that would have consumer programmes on). So having a look on Wikipedia, I'd never heard of Rogue Traders ("In 2012, [one of the presenters] was removed from the show, after he was jailed for benefit fraud" - it takes one to know one, I suppose), but seeing as it was merged into Watchdog in 2009 (which was recently merged into The One Show) I expect there's not that much airtime available for this sort of thing. 

Which is a shame, because it would make a great episode of The Cook Report
    Matt Allwright, who presents, or has presented, Rogue Traders, Fake Britain and Watchdog, is a guitar player.  On one of the shows they did a feature on Justin and Rick Harrison of Music Ground notoriety.  I think Ian Elson is probably rather too small fry, although it would be of interest to us.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    So...Mr Elson has come though with an offer of repayment and has apologised profusley for the mess up.

Now...call me nuts ....again !....but Im going to give him the chance to put things right.

Ill update in due course, ...in the meantime thank you all for the input and the very generous offer to recoup my losses ;-)   

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lysanderlysander Frets: 574
    Hmm you do realise that he’s certainly read
    this thread and is going to quite literally
    going to rob Peter to pay Paul ?  
    Trying to sort out the person who shouts loudest while leaving others to hang is shyster 101
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • lysanderlysander Frets: 574
    Unless you paid him to stop making guitars in which case you’re a fucking hero.
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18778
    edited July 2021
    lysander said:
    Trying to sort out the person who shouts loudest while leaving others to hang is shyster 101
    Yup. Also classic pyramid selling technique  
    Squeaky wheel getting the most oil... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27525
    lysander said:
    Damn.

Wish I’d seen this thread yesterday.
    :(

Still, it was a great deal ....
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    TTony said:
    lysander said:
    Damn.

Wish I’d seen this thread yesterday.
    :(

Still, it was a great deal ....
    Let us know how you get on with the guitar yeah? ;)
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    Wow the fretwork on that guitar is shocking. He seems like a right shit to be honest.

As others have said, it looks like he was trying to rush them out. Stripped down and simple is fine, but stripped down and shit isn't. If anything i'd imagine that the lack of finish highlights the other faults even more.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    Ian, you need to stop building guitars.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    spark240 said:
    So...Mr Elson has come though with an offer of repayment and has apologised profusley for the mess up.

Now...call me nuts ....again !....but Im going to give him the chance to put things right.

Ill update in due course, ...in the meantime thank you all for the input and the very generous offer to recoup my losses ;-)   
    Its like you're my straight man.

You are nuts again.  

This thread has many comment pointing to the substance of the chap you are dealing with and you appear not to be listening.  As others have said, hes clearly reading this and reacting to it rather than actually doing the "right thing".

• Weaver85Weaver85 Frets: 91
    edited July 2021
    Who are these people buying his guitars...
  • SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 942
    edited July 2021
    He has a lot of blood on his hands.....especially after handling those poorly dressed frets. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10697
    spark240 said:

Its like you're my straight man.

You are nuts again.  

This thread has many comment pointing to the substance of the chap you are dealing with and you appear not to be listening.  As others have said, hes clearly reading this and reacting to it rather than actually doing the "right thing".

I’m not so sure - Elson is just offering to take the guitar back and refund the money, that’s all that should concern the buyer, no?
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom