What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    edited August 2015
    Ill Manors
    Mixup of different stories of people's lives in Londons seedy rough bits, the coke dealer, the prostitute, the drug dealers/addict etc. Not bad for the first half but then gets a bit wishy-washy and goes a bit more like Snatch.
    Overall not that bad but could have probably cut 20-30 mins off it without having any real effect on the story. Written by Plan B/Ben Drew, musician/rapper/soul singer type dude
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12390
    Dark Skies. Sort of Poltergeist, but with aliens as the baddies. It was rubbish, still can't figure out why I watched it. Didn't even have explosions or badass fighting or nudie wimminz or anything.
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    Watched Ant Man last night.

Pretty good, not the best Marvel film but certainly not the worst.

Its got more of a comedy feel than the others.

• BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1755
    Train wreck.

Comedy about 30ish yo girl writing an article about proffessional sport doctor. Typical US humour - lots of sex related jokes, some are funny but the whole thing is quite mediocre. Watched it only because there are few nba players in it but they appeared for 10mins in total.

4/10
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Out Of The Furnace. Fucking brilliant.

Bale, the Affleck that can act, Harrelson, DeFoe.

Watch it.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6394
    frankus said:

Chappie.

10/10 - Like most Blomkamp films it's set in a shanti and stars Shalto Copley and/as a bad guy who's a nut-job from the special forces. It describes a hopeful way through a crisis point in society.

Yep, totally agree. Loved it.

Insurgent (follow up to Divergent) - dire
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    A trio of big ol' war films (from my newly purchased big box of ol' war films)

The Battle of Britain - wonderful aerial sequences of course, despite the lack of tracer fire which ruins it a little, but aside from drawing them on afterwards I'm not sure how they could have achieved that back then.

A Bridge to Far - proper "all star" cast and utterly epic.

The Great Escape  - great fun (but of course tragic) first time I've sat down to watch it for years (possibly decades) makes me want to eat sprouts for some reason.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9718
    edited August 2015
    not_the_dj;729205" said:
    ...despite the lack of tracer fire which ruins it a little...
    Probably more of a concern for ground troops, but it's always struck me that the problem with tracer is that it works both ways.

I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    edited August 2015
    Terminator Genisys
    There's some real bullshit reviews around for this one, I though it was pretty good. Decent action, nods to the original first 2 films, a couple of comedy moments that fit and the time travel who how when why makes you think in a few places. Nowhere near as bad as I feared. Plenty of plot holes but blows the last few attempts away with a big Arnie sized Boom!
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2930
    Mission Impossible.  Lots of action and well paced.  It was not too shabby at all.

Bridesmaids. My wife was watching it last night. I thought it was just going to be a chick flick so was doing other stuff, but before I knew it I was hooked in. But cheesy at times but Melissa McCarthy makes it watchable. The bit in the end credits with her and the air marshall is hysterical.
  • TheBlueWolfTheBlueWolf Frets: 1536
    I watched Devils Playground last night with Danny Dyer. It was basically a Cockney Gangster flick with a few undead thrown in. Meh.... 5/10

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

Danny Dyer only does cockney gangster. What did you expect?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16298
    1990s Hugh Grant flick Extreme Measures. The only DVD I had access to on a rainy night on a campsite in Macll...mcCyn.. Macynkl..a small town in mid Wales.
    It's not a classic but by no means bad and at least it's from an era where more was spent on the script than the CGI.

Bits of the Bourne Identity last night but tiredness and over familiarity with it made it hard to concentrate. Great film though.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SibeliusSibelius Frets: 1401
    edited August 2015
    1990s Hugh Grant flick Extreme Measures. The only DVD I had access to on a rainy night on a campsite in Macll...mcCyn.. Macynkl..a small town in mid Wales.
    It's not a classic but by no means bad and at least it's from an era where more was spent on the script than the CGI. .
    I remember that being really good.
     I am however a fanboi of researching things before spouting shit
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16298
    Sibelius said:
    It's not a classic but by no means bad and at least it's from an era where more was spent on the script than the CGI. .

the moral argument at the centre of it adds some weight to it, makes it more than just a thriller.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • SibeliusSibelius Frets: 1401
    Sibelius said:

the moral argument at the centre of it adds some weight to it, makes it more than just a thriller.
    I cant remember all the details. I may buy a copy to watch it again
     I am however a fanboi of researching things before spouting shit
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    *sigh*

watched Fantastic 4

We booked tickets last weekend, then in the week the first reviews started to hit.

Bearing in mind that Rotten Tomatoes scored Batman and Robin (the one with Mr Freeze, and bat-nipples!) 11%, a 10% score for Fantastic 4 led us to question our resolve... however, we had tickets, so we were going to make our own minds up.

Well, at least with such low expectations we weren't disappointed. We were not pleasantly surprised either though.

The film is 100 minutes long, and it was probably 70 minutes before EITHER action happened or the cast got their powers... that's right, over an hour of child-then-teenage angst... slightly autistic levels of social interaction... bad teachers... high school... AND building a machine...

That's not fair... there were also some lazy stereotypes - the black kid is off the rails, into illegal street racing, and is only in it to get the money to buy back his car so he can return to illegal street racing (even though he's the son of a billionaire scientist visionary he's all daddy-issues-and-angst (Wait, am I describing 99% of Marvel Characters?! Oh.))  The young girl is essentially a seamstress (her role is to build the suits! Though later she does appear to be helping so it's unclear if the writers knew what they wrote from scene to scene)  Oh, and of course, she's in love/lust with one of the characters.

So, after 70% of the film is like watching one of those Open University films that were shown at 2am in the 90s on the BBC about some engineers doing and engineer, the last 30% must have been all action right?

Nope.

The baddie doesn't turn up at all till the last 20 minutes! His powers are apparently instantly killing anyone without any effort at all - by bursting their heads... but when it comes to fighting the F4 he generally punches them or pushes them over.

The final fight is less than 5 minutes and a bit meh.

Worst of all, there's one of those "hey, there's something much more interesting happening but we wont show you" type of things where they say "in the last year this character has done all sorts of cool action stuff" Great... so not only was the film I'm watching crappy, but you're actively reminding me that there COULD have been lots more fun stuff...

Thanks Fox.

And that in a nutshell is the problem - just like Alien3 Fox decided to make a movie by committee, even the F4 director tweeted before the release of the film that he'd made a much better film before it got edited... (Honestly, I can't see it being much worse, but unless they re-filmed 50% of the film I can't see it being THAT good...) 
  • TheBlueWolfTheBlueWolf Frets: 1536
    boogieman;736263" said:
    Danny Dyer only does cockney gangster. What did you expect?
    Brain eating zombies which given that Danny Dyer and Craig Fekkin Fairbass were in the film the zombies went elsewhere for luncheon :)

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Boys n the Hood. Overrated. Bit boring.

Fast & Furious, good fun as long as you know what you're getting into.
    My V key is broken