What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1796
    Watched Sicario last night. Not quite what I was expecting but done very well. Not entirely sure I enjoyed it as such but I'm glad I watched it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969 said:
    The Florida Project : bleak docu style film about effectively a child raising a child in Florida

Really liked it, thought it was different and involving

I Tonya : Stylised true story about the skater and her life from Red neck poverty to Olympic hope and then back again 

Great film overall 

Molly's Game : another true story of a former skier turning to running and skimming card games and her arrest 

Bit Hollywood for me but can see it doing well
    Both "Molly's game" and "Florida project" are on my list so glad to hear a good review.
  • “The Source Park” on Amazon Prime. 

Even if you’re now into BMX it’s an amazing story. 
  • Justice League

Warner Brothers made a bad film and they should feel bad. 

Somewhat ironically, I was most impressed by the Synder action sequences, which were completely stupid, but did at least look like they were lifted straight from the pages of a comic. If only the plot, script, pacing, bad guy, tone and humour hadn't been shit it might have been ok! 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • At least half the films I watch aren’t particularly my choice. This weekend we’ve had a 50/50 split (so, yes, the one of my choice I watched by myself).

The Cloverfield Paradox - basically an episode of Dr Who. I rated 10 Cloverfield Lane but I can’t get very excited over this.

Now More Than Ever:the History of Chicago. Fairly straightforward romp through the history of the band. More interesting than their terrible ballads might suggest, these people did a lot of sex, drugs and ( brass backed) rock’n’roll. 
    Bit of a puff piece to the remaining original members ( who were the producers)my only problem was that the film was divided into numbered chapters which then didn’t correspond to the band’s numbered albums - odd. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Me again. 

Baby Driver. I liked it, think I would have liked it more with a big sound system. 
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1755
    edited February 2018
    In The Valley of Elah.

Tommy Lee Jones as a father of murdered marine. Pretty good acting from Charlize Theron and Tommy Lee - american pathos mixed with a good crime story. I liked it. 

6.5/10
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited February 2018
    Just watched Whiplash. Jeez!

Now that was riveting but uncomfortable viewing. I'm not sure what to make of it and I think it's traumatized the family - my wife's a music teacher and my son is budding drummer!!!

I'm really not sure about this one.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22858
    Kebabkid said:
    Just watched Whiplash. Jeez!

Now that was riveting but uncomfortable viewing. I'm not sure what to make of it and I think it's traumatized the family - my wife's a music teacher and my son is budding drummer!!!

I'm really not sure about this one.
    Great film.  And to think the director went on to do La La Land.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    I can heartily recommend Calvary, a small Irish film with an excellent cast, beautifully shot and very involving

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/calvary_2013/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12365
    Spy. I like Melissa McCarthy, anything she’s in is usually worth watching. This had a a couple of chuckles in it but not much else. It also suffers hugely from having the giraffe, sorry, woman who plays Miranda as her coworker buddy. The woman can’t act her way out of a paper bag. 5/10.

Whoever said Bridesmaids, yes! Excellent film, nothing like you’d expect for a chick flick: some very crude humour and it had me laughing like a drain at times. 
  • boogieman said:
    Spy. I like Melissa McCarthy, anything she’s in is usually worth watching. This had a a couple of chuckles in it but not much else. It also suffers hugely from having the giraffe, sorry, woman who plays Miranda as her coworker buddy. The woman can’t act her way out of a paper bag. 5/10.

Whoever said Bridesmaids, yes! Excellent film, nothing like you’d expect for a chick flick: some very crude humour and it had me laughing like a drain at times. 
    I didn't watch it the other night but I quite liked Spy, although maybe just because it wasn't as awful as I expected it to be. Miranda is truly terrible in it though.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9673
    The Mercy - Colin Firth plays round the World (but not really) yachtsman Donald Crowhurst. Fair, but not great. 6/10.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • The Story of Skinhead.

I’ve seen it before but BBC4 have had it on this weekend.

Just an hour long documentary, worth a watch. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22858
    Logan.

It's a bit different from your typical X-Men film.  And it's very good.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Geostorm
    Predictable world domination movie, effects were good, but thats about it.....5/10
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9673
    Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers: Running Down a Dream.

Documentary charting the rise of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. Entertaining, interesting, and informative. Very watchable, but at close to four hours I’ve had to watch it in bite-sized chunks.

A strong 8/10 from me.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    edited February 2018
    Elysium (2013)
    Not too bad a Sci Fi romp.....2154, The wealthy live on a Space Staion, while the poor inhabit a ruined Earth, one man has the power to redress the balance......
    I thought the Special effects were particularly good and Jodie Foster is still worth a squirt!....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    Spectral (Netflix) - Decent action movie. Would definitely recommend. Reminescent of Aliens

The Cloverfield Paradox - An absolute mess, it didn't start all that bad but by the time it got to the arm scene any hope of watching a decent movie was gone. I did plough on through to the end, for anyone that got that far, the last scene ... FFS lol

Grimsby/The brothers Grimsby - Look, I laughed but not proud of it. Very stupid and Far more of a gross-out comedy than we expected.

Tucker and Dale Vs Evil - Definitely recommend, lots of fun
  • eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    paulnb57 said:
    Geostorm
    Predictable world domination movie, effects were good, but thats about it.....5/10
    I went to see that in the cinema :/

In a way it's so bad it's good, but it is bad, very bad :)