What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    The commuter . quite good. nice lefty strat in there.
    The shape of water. FFS.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @JAYJO tell me more re shape of water please mate. My Mrs is trying to drag me to watch it but so far I've managed to hang onto door frames etc
  • The Discovery

Not what I was expecting (not that I'm quite sure what I was expecting) but good in a low-key "idea scifi" kind of way.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
     spoiler .spoiler! possibly.
    Its a weird one mate. Think sea creature in a tank (water tank) girl falls in love with it .Theres some violence and a bit of nudity. But i found my self asking myself WTF!. 
    Your gonna love it mate remember to take your own goodies you dont want to get fleeced twice.
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1508
    Black Mass - Johnny Depp plays James Whitey Bulger and is helped out by a former friend who is now in the Feds. Pretty good, and Depp is really good as the psycho Irish bastard.

Kick Ass 2 - Not as good as the first movie, but I loved it all the same. I remember seeing this for the first time when it came out and took me ages to figure out the General guy was Jim Carrey.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7031
    tFB Trader
    Get Out - comedy horror(ish) with a brilliant ending.
    Manchester by the Sea, superb depiction of sadness and guilt - the opposite of feelgood.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6062
    Coco. Pixar animation about a boy who wants to play guitar... Fabulous; definitely one for the herbal brigade, huge psychedelic canvases of colour with a good story. Highly recommend.

The Shape Of Water. Enjoyable but not quite up to the level of invention I've come to expect from Del Toro. The colour palette was muted greens and grays, which while fitting the mood of the story was slightly depressing. The female lead was the mum from Paddington and she was very good. Del Toro made the most of her angular, unusual face and her performance held the film together.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3905
    Labyrinth of lies. German subtitled pic.

The story of a junior lawyer who takes on the Nazis post holocaust. Mixed reviews online but I thought it was great.

8/10.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7031
    tFB Trader
    JezWynd said:
     The female lead was the mum from Paddington and she was very good.
    Paddington? If you are a Sally Hawkins fan, I recommend Happy Go Lucky (en ra ha!) and Maudie.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWynd said:
    Coco. Pixar animation about a boy who wants to play guitar... Fabulous; definitely one for the herbal brigade, huge psychedelic canvases of colour with a good story. Highly recommend.

Ya, i enjoyed Coco too. I somehow always go into Pixar movies thinking "ah yeah, I guess but I'm not bothered" and come out remembering why Pixar are so highly rated...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12365
    Dopesick said:
    Black Mass - Johnny Depp plays James Whitey Bulger and is helped out by a former friend who is now in the Feds. Pretty good, and Depp is really good as the psycho Irish bastard. 
    Saw that recently too. JD is superb and almost unrecognisable in the make up. Good film.

Also saw Loving Vincent last night. It’s an odd little film with real actors animated in the style of Van Gogh’s paintings. It tells the story of a guy who was one of Vincent’s regular models going back to the town where he’d died and investigating the real cause of his suicide. It’s really cleverly done, thousands of handpainted frames put together. It’s just a bit, I dunno how to describe it...mmmm, non-engaging? Maybe I’m too much of a peasant to appreciate it. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28227
    Land Of The Lost - Will Ferrell and Anna Friel.

Awful but excellent.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."

• Coco.

Those were not tears in my eye!  

Good movie, classic Pixar.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22859
    Alien: Covenant

Basically a rehash of bits of Alien and Aliens with a dash of The Island of Dr Moreau.  Not as bad as I'd been led to believe, in fact I quite enjoyed it, but it doesn't feel like it's taking the series anywhere new.
  • iT (latest one) - not sure of the slating it got from reviews I thought it was good.

Mute (Netflix original) couple of decent twists and an okay film I thought. 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12365
    Silence of the Lambs. I haven’t seen it since it was released so decided to see how it stands up after all these years. Still a terrific film, both Anthony Hopkins and Jodie Foster are on top form. Hopkins is particularly menacing, one of the best ever film antiheroes. The special fx are very clunky by today’s standards and the fact you anticipate all the well known phrases grates a little (I ate his liver with a nice Chianti and some fava beans, ssssssss) but it’s still very watchable. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22859
    The Transfiguration

A bit like a modern version of George Romero's Martin - troubled teenager thinks he's a vampire.  Very indie, low-key and deliberately paced, but worth a watch.
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    Veronica. 6/10

Not the scariest film I have seen, probably in the top five though. A Spanish film by the producer of REC, so set in Spain in 1991, and in Spanish (obviously). I loved the atmosphere of the film though about a girl who gets in trouble follow a seance. It is not far off a 7/10, but probably just under I think.
  • dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    While wifey and kids have been ill over the weekend I have watched more films than I have all year:

Hacksaw Ridge - excellent
    Gaurdians of the Galaxy 2 - brilliant
    The Great Wall - enjoyable nonsense
    Bright - rather good actually
    London Has Fallen - terrible
    Cloverfield Paradox - utter pish 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72352
    Papillon - Steve McQueen and Dustin Hoffman. It's at least 30 years since I'd seen it, and MrsICBM never had.

Fantastic - even if the historical evidence probably means it's less of a 'true story' than Charrière made it out to be. McQueen in particular is outstanding, I think probably his best performance.

10/10, true classic.

Apparently there's a remake which came out last year. Why?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom