What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22881
    Kitsune said:
    Watched Opera for the first time in about a decade earlier in the week. Superb stuff - I really like this period of Argento when he's matured a bit (the utter lunacy of Phenomena is just glorious). Shame about the massive spoiler pic of the killer in Alan Jones book as I didn't remember much about it at all.

I think Opera's the last really great film he did.  Although the first half of The Stendhal Syndrome is brilliant, before it turns into a second-rate Vertigo.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KitsuneKitsune Frets: 292
    Philly_Q said:
    Kitsune said:
    Watched Opera for the first time in about a decade earlier in the week. Superb stuff - I really like this period of Argento when he's matured a bit (the utter lunacy of Phenomena is just glorious). Shame about the massive spoiler pic of the killer in Alan Jones book as I didn't remember much about it at all.

I think Opera's the last really great film he did.  Although the first half of The Stendhal Syndrome is brilliant, before it turns into a second-rate Vertigo.
    Agree with that. I like Stendhal generally, but it does peter out far too early. I also liked Trauma, but its Argento lite really.

Third Mother - well I enjoyed it, but its not a good film in any way at all. Which is kinda why I enjoyed it.

Really need to watch some of the others like Sleepless and The Card Player, just to see what happening in there. Phantom and Dracula can fuck right off though!

I think he's basically done now though as no new projects and nothing in the pipeline for many years. Which is entirely fair.
  • Just watched Bone Tomahawk again tonight. I need a drink.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I Kill Giants

Saw this on Netflix and was very pleasantly surprised. I'm no film aficionado really but it wasn't what I was expecting and there was a lot of stuff that really resonated with me. 

Some way into the film you realise things might go in different directions but it keeps you unsure for a while.

I loved the setting of the film. I've been to the area where it's set and the cinematography really captures the light and feeling of the place.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12368
    Watched Napoleon Dynamite with my 13 year old daughter last weekend, I have loved that film since I first saw it and she really loved it too.  Great movie.

Had a western weekend as sky had a westerns special.  Watched:

Hostiles with christian bale who I generally like and it was pretty good.  Several inexplicable point blank gunfights but its a western and its good.

Also watched Valley of Violence with Ethan Hawke and John Travolta, bordered on comedy at times but thoroughly enjoyable film.

Ballad of Lefty Brown, not typical as the 'hero's' were old or kids but a decent watch.

However if you like westerns watch Warlock, its the daddy : )

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9676
    A Star is Born - two hours of my life I won't get back.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    HAL9000 said:
    I was  looking forward that. Is it cack?
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9676
    edited October 2018
    munckee said:
    HAL9000 said:
    I thought so. Poorly scripted, predictable, and overly long. YMMV.

Edit - just looked at the IMDB user reviews. Loads of 10s (out of 10) and loads of 1s - and pratically nothing in between so opinion is clearly divided.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    HAL9000 said:
    munckee said:
    HAL9000 said:
    I thought so. Poorly scripted, predictable, and overly long. YMMV.

Edit - just looked at the IMDB user reviews. Loads of 10s (out of 10) and loads of 1s - and pratically nothing in between so opinion is clearly divided.
    Does Lady Gaga look kind of hot in it though?
    IT

It's been a long time (approx 32 years) since I read the book, but it seems like a pretty faithful rendition.  They may have changed lots of details which I don't remember, but it feels very much like Stephen King - i.e. one or two very simple ideas strung out into a very long yarn.

I enjoyed it.  I wanted to go straight on to part 2!
  • Philly_Q said:
    IT

It's been a long time (approx 32 years) since I read the book, but it seems like a pretty faithful rendition.  They may have changed lots of details which I don't remember, but it feels very much like Stephen King - i.e. one or two very simple ideas strung out into a very long yarn.

I enjoyed it.  I wanted to go straight on to part 2!
    I presume that is the old version of IT?  I saw the one from 1990 when I was about 8 or 9 when they first showed it on British TV with my cousins and it scared the shit out of me, well until the end... 

Have you seen the recent IT revision?  I felt it was too bit too bathed in 80's nostalgia and I couldn't really get into it. 

Btw, when it comes to revisiting Argento's legacy, I really liked 'Berberian Sound Studio'.  Not a slavish revisiting of his legacy but the fingerprints of Argento was definitely there. 

• The Wife

Glenn Close is awesome.  Fantastic movie
  • munckee said:
    HAL9000 said:
    Dont be put off https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/aug/31/a-star-is-born-review-lady-gaga-bradley-cooper

Plenty of 5 star reviews. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12370
    Florence Foster Jenkins. Meryl Streep and Hugh Grant are brilliant in it. Affectionate and quite heartwarming with a few giggles along the way. 
    The Swimmer. Rich man Alpha Male Burt Lancaster spends the whole film in his trunks, hopping into peoples gardens and swimming in each and every pool on his way home. After a while, it becomes apparent that all is not what it appears.

Really good, if a little dated.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    Kitsune said:
    The Swimmer. Rich man Alpha Male Burt Lancaster spends the whole film in his trunks, hopping into peoples gardens and swimming in each and every pool on his way home. After a while, it becomes apparent that all is not what it appears.

Great film. Quite sad too.

I have just managed to watch Blade Runner 2049. The original is possibly my favourite film, must have seen it over 100 times. I thought the sequel was brilliant. Really enjoyed it, almost perfect IMO. Visuals, music, atmosphere, plot link to original, superb.

Thought it was a bit too easy to locate Deckard though, seeing as he's been in hiding for so long.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Snap said:
    Kitsune said:

Great film. Quite sad too.

I have just managed to watch Blade Runner 2049. The original is possibly my favourite film, must have seen it over 100 times. I thought the sequel was brilliant. Really enjoyed it, almost perfect IMO. Visuals, music, atmosphere, plot link to original, superb.

Thought it was a bit too easy to locate Deckard though, seeing as he's been in hiding for so long.

I have seen the swimmer but can't really remember anything about it which probably says a lot.

I thought the blade runner sequel was very entertaining.
  • westwest Frets: 996
    I love the swimmer .....!!
    I'd known about The Swimmer for 20 years, but never gotten a chance to see it until this week. It didn't disappoint.

Blade Runner 2, as it should have been titled, was fantastic but about 30 mins too long. Cut all the bearded blokes scenes and its likely to be much better.

Of the three of us that saw it, I loved it and the other two hated it.

Also, liking the fact that Harrison Ford didn't bother with costume and just wandered onto set in an old t-shirt and jogging bottoms.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    Kitsune said:
    Blade Runner 2, as it should have been titled, was fantastic but about 30 mins too long. Cut all the bearded blokes scenes and its likely to be much better.
    Yes, cutting Ryan Gosling out of it entirely would have improved it enormously. Having never seen him before, I now think the same is probably true of anything else he's in... saw him on Graham Norton the other night and I don't think I'll be seeing the Neil Armstrong film.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein