What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• The Ballad of Buster Scruggs

I don’t think it’s a spoiler to say that it’s several short stories although overall it’s a very long film. Beautifully filmed in places and full of ideas and quirks, although the surreal nature of it means it’s often hard to care a great deal about the characters. And it’s got Tom Waits in it. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12389
    Saw a few films on the plane over. 

Deadpool 2. Has it’s funny moments but not as good as the first one. 

The Meg. Utter shite. 

A Quiet Place. Nice idea but ultimately stupid, with massive plot holes. 

Hotel Artemis. Jodie Foster is a medic in a futuristic private hospital set up for villains and gangsters. Best of the bunch, I liked it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Last Night ..The third man, with Orson Wells. They don't make em like that anymore.
  • ‘71 

Popped up as a recommendation on prime. Excellent tense story of a young British squaddie in Northern Ireland. 

Highly recomended if you’ve not seen it. 
  • Th4fonzTh4fonz Frets: 247
    "papillon" shows as 2017/2018 great film
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9706
    edited December 2018
    On a transatlantic flight recently I watched Mission Impossible 6.

Not at all the kind of thing I’d normally bother with but just wanted to watch something without using too much brain power...

Car chases
    Motorbike chases
    Helicopter chases
    Body count
    Ludicrous plot
    Nuclear bomb with countdown timer with big red numbers

What’s not to like?
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6173
    The Tale - a very difficult film to watch. Laura Dern as an adult who suffered child sexual abuse. Told through flashbacks and with enough raw detail to make you confront any notions of "well, it was different in the '70s". (cf Polanski, Page, Bowie, etc.) 

Superb acting all round, especially the actress playing the kid-with-attitude. 10/10

• goldtop said:
    The Tale - a very difficult film to watch. Laura Dern as an adult who suffered child sexual abuse. Told through flashbacks and with enough raw detail to make you confront any notions of "well, it was different in the '70s". (cf Polanski, Page, Bowie, etc.) 

Superb acting all round, especially the actress playing the kid-with-attitude. 10/10
    Laura Dern is a superb actress.  I wasn't a huge fan of 'Inland Empire' but she was exceptional in the film.  Btw, how was Common in the 'The Tale'?  I'm somewhat amazed by the success of his second career as an actor! 

The line 'things were different back then' often seems a means for those who hero worship to forego scrutinizing the actions of their heroes. 
  • Every Home Should Have One (1970).

Been on more than watched with concentration. Marty Feldman and a host of British actors you can recognise but can’t necessarily name. 
    For a 1970s British sex comedy it’s reasonably nuanced, slightly surreal and funny in parts ( some good one liners although with credits including Barry Took and Dennis Norden you’d hope so). There's even a cameo by Alan Bennett. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY .... IT'S ACE!!
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23008
    Mother!

I've been quite hesitant to watch this.  A lot of people hated it, a few loved it.... the trailer made it look like "Darren Aronofsky makes a generic horror movie".  It's certainly not that. 

Now I've seen it, I can understand how people would get pissed off with it - it's not at all realistic, it is weird and in some ways it's farcical.  But if you go with the flow it's never less than fascinating.  And it does kind of make sense.
  • Jigsaw. Shit. 
    Feedback Thread: https://goo.gl/bquaSD
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12389
    JonHosker said:
    BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY .... IT'S ACE!!
    Yes it is. Unless you’re an absolutely rabid Queen fan or suffer from major OCD you can forget about all the reports of anachronisms and overdramatised plot lines. Just sit back and watch it, it’s a bloody superb film. 
  • HAL9000 said:

What’s not to like?
    A short man who is better looking that me.... :) and who has hair.... bet he can't play guitar :)
    “Ken sent me.”
  • I watched Alpha last week, quite enjoyed the film

“Ken sent me.”
    HAL9000 said:

What’s not to like?
    A short man who is better looking that me.... :) and who has hair.... bet he can't play guitar :)
    He can sing a bit, though.  I don't recommend watching Rock of Ages, it's terrible, but Cruise is surprisingly not bad in it.
  • Philly_Q said:

He can sing a bit, though.  I don't recommend watching Rock of Ages, it's terrible, but Cruise is surprisingly not bad in it.
    I like 95% of his films. except for Cocktail
    “Ken sent me.”
    Philly_Q said:

I like 95% of his films. except for Cocktail

Me too, I only meant the "surprisingly" in relation to his singing.  Most of his films are at least watchable, and even in the bad ones he personally is pretty good.

He's a proper old-school movie star and there aren't so many of them around nowadays.

He seems like an OK person too, despite all the stick he gets from some quarters.  I must say it's hard to square it with the scientology nonsense.

• RabsRabs Frets: 2610
    tFB Trader

Just watched the new Mowgli film..  Different from what I was expecting....  Its a re-telling of the Jungle Book rather than  a sequel which is what I thought it was going to be..  This one is quite a bit darker and more gory...

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9706
    Nativity Rocks. Don't waste your time or money.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it