What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• ShrewsShrews Frets: 3010
    Downrange (Freeview last night - not sure what channel)

Decent enough movie about teenagers whose car tyre blows out and then a sniper starts picking them off one by one. A bit daft in places but pretty tense and overall I enjoyed it. I'm sure it'll be on again soon enough, so if you're an insomniac then look out for it late at night.

Straw Dogs (was on Talking Pictures)

Must see film if you've never seen it. Iconic 'banned' thriller/horror from the 70's with Dustin Hoffman and Susan George fighting off the weirdo locals of some rural village. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Just saw Bohemian Rhapsody. Really enjoyed it. Can see why it's not a hit with the critics but screw 'em. I thought it was great.
  • dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    Went to see the new Grinch film with Thing One earlier.  She seemed to enjoy it........

and there was was a trailer for a new Mary Poppins film FFS.  What is wrong with the film industry, there is surely lots of great and new ideas out there!?
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22874
    dbphoto said:
    and there was was a trailer for a new Mary Poppins film FFS.  What is wrong with the film industry, there is surely lots of great and new ideas out there!?
    There were eight Mary Poppins books and it's taken them 54 years to make a second film.  That's not exactly flogging it to death.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    When you go to the cinema against your will to watch a remake of a film, and the first trailer shown seems to be yet another remake of another film, would you not think hold on a bloody minute?

If it is a sequel, then fair enough.

Still doesn’t excuse Hollywood for flogging old ideas to death though.
  • Philly_Q said:
    dbphoto said:
    There were eight Mary Poppins books and it's taken them 54 years to make a second film.  That's not exactly flogging it to death.
    The film didn't resemble the books very much apparently so maybe they'll do something more like them. Well, okay probably not it'll be Mary Poppins with huge CGI giving her laser eye beams and stopping world destruction. But potentially closer to thr books...
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Philly_Q said:
    dbphoto said:
    The film didn't resemble the books very much apparently so maybe they'll do something more like them. Well, okay probably not it'll be Mary Poppins with huge CGI giving her laser eye beams and stopping world destruction. But potentially closer to thr books...
    Although I've defended Disney for making it, I've seen the trailer and I don't like the look of it - nothing against Emily Blunt but she just doesn't look or sound right.  But we'll see...
    Meanwhile, I watched Ghost Stories.

Never saw the stage play but it's easy to imagine how it worked... and I think it probably worked better.  The film left me underwhelmed.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12368
    Crimes of Grindlewald. Very dark, starting to tie into the Harry Potter films a lot. My 13 year old daughter loved it. I need to watch it again, it's possible I nodded off on the middle!
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12369
    Philly_Q said:
    Philly_Q said:
    dbphoto said:
    Although I've defended Disney for making it, I've seen the trailer and I don't like the look of it - nothing against Emily Blunt but she just doesn't look or sound right.  But we'll see...
    Disney are also doing a frame for frame remake of Lion King as well, only CGI’d instead of animation. Now that I don’t get, the original was fine. I guess they’ll be redoing all the others before too long. 

munckee said:
    Crimes of Grindlewald. Very dark, starting to tie into the Harry Potter films a lot. My 13 year old daughter loved it. I need to watch it again, it's possible I nodded off on the middle!
    Hope it’s better than Fantastic Beasts. Watched that the other day and thought it was really boring. 
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3010
    @boogieman ;

Loved the Harry Potter books but Fantastic Beasts reminded of watching The Hobbit after LOTR.  Bored and disappointed, I felt JKR was milking it a bit and it detracted from the wizarding world that she'd created rather than adding to it.

I definitely won't be watching the new film and will just wait for it to hit terrestrial TV in a few years time. 

Bring back Potter as Headmaster of Hogwarts!  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    Only just discovered Team America - Fuck Yeah!
    Why did no-one tell me about this film?  It's been out for years. Haven't laughed so hard for a long time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2594
    edited December 2018
    "No Man of Her Own".  1950 noir/woman's picture/melodrama and a Barbara Stanwyck vehicle.  Available on Netflix.  I had resisted this one because I had the impression from checking out online ratings that it might be no more than average, but it's better than that.  Some period creakiness and many plot improbabilities but stylishly photographed, imaginatively directed and well-acted. Good music. Have to say this is very much my kind of thing if it's well done, and I enjoyed this.  Not top drawer noir but not far off it and with a quirky personality of its own. 7.5/10
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • Mission Impossible: Fallout

Tom Cruise and Superman go round the world punching people. Simon Pegg plays himself. Alec Baldwin plays the head of spies, or whatever. 

Mildly diverting. Not bad. Kind of unspectacular, despite Tom Cruise actually flying a helicopter and breaking his ankle. Either I'm dead inside or I've seen too many action movies. Still the upper end of the breed, mind you.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Shrews said:
    @boogieman ;

Loved the Harry Potter books but Fantastic Beasts reminded of watching The Hobbit after LOTR.  Bored and disappointed, I felt JKR was milking it a bit and it detracted from the wizarding world that she'd created rather than adding to it.
    Spot on. Eddie Redmayne is a good actor but he was just lousy in this. It had no pace, the plot was nonsense, the baddy was meh and the whole thing was underwhelming, especially after the HP films. The baker character was ok (anyone else recognise him from Walking Dead?)
    boogieman said:
    Disney are also doing a frame for frame remake of Lion King as well, only CGI’d instead of animation. Now that I don’t get, the original was fine. I guess they’ll be redoing all the others before too long. 
    Don't forget they've already done live-action/CGI versions of The Jungle Book, Beauty and the Beast and Pete's Dragon.  Dumbo is on the way (directed by Tim Burton), followed by Aladdin, Mulan.... they're all coming.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2609
    tFB Trader
    Philly_Q said:
    boogieman said:
    Don't forget they've already done live-action/CGI versions of The Jungle Book, Beauty and the Beast and Pete's Dragon.  Dumbo is on the way (directed by Tim Burton), followed by Aladdin, Mulan.... they're all coming.

Plus a new one I just heard about.. Lady and the Tramp.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Sorry to Bother You = awesome
  • I'm well behind the curve here but I watched "Woman in Black" last night for the very first time.

I do like a good ghost story at Xmas and this was great. I've been meaning to see it for years but Mrs DJ doesn't do scary films and anything to do with loosing children, so I just never got around to seeing it.